General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord sample library 3 vs Nord sample library 2

Postby macco00 » 12 Jun 2018, 20:28

Hi everybody
What is the difference between Nord sample library 3 and Nord sample library 2?
macco00

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Nord sample library 3 vs Nord sample library 2

Sponsor

Re: Nord sample library 3 vs Nord sample library 2

Postby baekgaard » 12 Jun 2018, 23:38

The newer generation instruments (NP4, NS3, NE6) uses the newer sample library format. It contains also individual settings for some of the key parameters for each sample so that it is easier to load and get started with sensible defaults.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 13 Jun 2018, 03:02

baekgaard wrote:It contains also individual settings for some of the key parameters for each sample so that it is easier to load and get started with sensible defaults.

I know that's been discussed, and it's probably right, but is there actually any info from Nord confirming this? Or has anyone confirmed this by noticing different default parameters when loading different nsmp3 samples?
anotherscott

Postby baekgaard » 14 Jun 2018, 00:05

anotherscott wrote:I know that's been discussed, and it's probably right, but is there actually any info from Nord confirming this? Or has anyone confirmed this by noticing different default parameters when loading different nsmp3 samples?

Yes :-)

Just use the list mode to go through the samples. If I do that on my NE6 and scroll through the samples, you can see the Dynamics LED change values and/or the Dynamics Filter LED being enabled or disabled. Similarly on my NS3, you can see the Velocity LED alternate in the Amplitude section, and sometimes the filter values also change (LP12, LP24) or the KB TRACK in the filter section -- when you use the Synth Preset dial in sample mode.

Other settings change too (like the Amplitude envelope Attack, Release, etc), but that is not so easy to see immediately.

On the NS3, if you use the Sample dial, you don't load the associated preset; you have to use the Synth Preset dial in sample mode. On the NE6, you load the associated preset when changing the Sample via the dial, since there are no user presets stored in the synth section.
Last edited by baekgaard on 14 Jun 2018, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
analogika
baekgaard

Postby anotherscott » 14 Jun 2018, 00:17

baekgaard wrote:
anotherscott wrote:I know that's been discussed, and it's probably right, but is there actually any info from Nord confirming this? Or has anyone confirmed this by noticing different default parameters when loading different nsmp3 samples?

Yes :-)

Just use the list mode to go through the samples. If I do that on my NE6 and scroll through the samples, you can see the Dynamics LED change values and/or the Dynamics Filter LED being enabled or disabled. Similarly on my NS3, you can see the Velocity LED alternate in the Amplitude section, and sometimes the filter values also change (LP12, LP24) or the KB TRACK in the filter section -- when you use the Synth Preset dial in sample mode.

Other settings change too (like the Amplitude envelope Attack, Release, etc), but that is not so easy to see immediately.

On the NS3, if you use the Sample dial, you don't load the associated preset; you have to use the Synth Preset dial in sample mode. On the NE6, you load the associated preset when changing the Sample via the dial, since there are no user presets stored in the synth section.

That's very interesting, and then becomes a clear new advantage of the E6 over the E5, especially if and when a native NSMP3 editor becomes available so that a user could save a sample with his own preferred parameters.

On the NS3, it seems to me that it's really no big deal, because with the synth preset function, you could always store a sample with your preferred parameters for envelope, filter, whatever... I think you could do that even on the NS2.
Last edited by anotherscott on 23 Jun 2018, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby maxpiano » 14 Jun 2018, 07:31

anotherscott wrote:
baekgaard wrote:Yes :-)

That's very interesting, and then becomes a clear new advantage of the E5 over the E6, especially if and when a native NSMP3 editor becomes available so that a user could save a sample with his own preferred parameters.

On the NS3, it seems to me that it's really no big deal, because with the synth preset function, you could always store a sample with your preferred parameters for envelope, filter, whatever... I think you could do that even on the NS2.

Guess you mean that the NE6 has an advantage over the NE5, not the opposite (?) :)

With regards to the Nord Stages, the advantage is still there in the sense that you get the default settings suggested by the creator of the .nsmp, something you cannot do on .nsmp2/NS2; then of course you can also create Synth Sounds that use that sample but with your own different personalized settings, but that’s not the point of the v3.
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Jun 2018, 14:10, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 14 Jun 2018, 08:49

maxpiano wrote:Guess you mean that the NE6 has an advantage over the NE5, not the opposite (?) :)

With regards to the Nord Stages, the advantage is still there in the sense that you get the default settings suggested by the creator of the .nsmp, somethign you cannot do on .nsmp2/NS2; then of course you can also create Synth Sounds that use that sample but with your own different personalized settings, but that’s not the point of the v3.

Just my words :-)

On other devices (like the NE6) it is an even clearer advantage, I think -- makes it much faster to get to a good starting point, just like you also said, @anotherscott.
Last edited by baekgaard on 14 Jun 2018, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard

Postby anotherscott » 14 Jun 2018, 14:24

maxpiano wrote:Guess you mean that the NE6 has an advantage over the NE5, not the opposite (?) :)

Right, corrected, thanks!

maxpiano wrote:With regards to the Nord Stages, the advantage is still there in the sense that you get the default settings suggested by the creator of the .nsmp, something you cannot do on .nsmp2/NS2

True. I hadn't really thought of that as much of a benefit because the creator could have just used those same settings in a related synth preset, but of course there are tons of samples that don't also come with the Stage as synth presets (including all the optional ones you can download), plus you'd want to be able to delete synth presets and not worry about losing all future access to the default parameters associated with that sample.
Last edited by anotherscott on 14 Jun 2018, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby anotherscott » 14 Jun 2018, 15:19

baekgaard wrote:On other devices (like the NE6) it is an even clearer advantage, I think -- makes it much faster to get to a good starting point, just like you also said, @anotherscott.

Yes, this was a significant, unanticipated disappointment I had with my NE5. If I was mixing and matching (split/layer) sounds on the fly, maybe playing piano or organ on bottom and changing my RH sample sound for example, I couldn't simply choose a mellotron string sound or a pad string sound at whim, because on one you want an instant release and on the other you want a hanging release, and I was continually having to adjust the envelope controls as I loaded different samples. You really want to be able to store some basic parameters with the sample, or else such a sample is only really usable the way you want if you save the tweaked version into its own program, which then prevents you from splitting/layering that sound with other sounds on the fly, somewhat defeating one of (to me) the big features of the E5, that you can grab sounds for either side of the keyboard as you need them in live performance, without having to pre-plan every combination you might need.

Once there is a proper NSMP 3 editor, I hope the user will be able to modify these default parameters, even on the factory samples.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
sveltefox
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum