Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Roli Seaboard

Postby jazzo96 » 23 Dec 2016, 15:16

Hey!

Some time ago, I came across the Roli Seaboard, and have been watching videos of it since. I have been amazed by its capabilities and sounds (I know it's a midi controller but I mean the equator etc) and now I might actually be able to fit it in my budget. But before any decisions are made, it would be great to hear what opinions do the best (known as nord users :yourock: ) have about the instrument. So if anyone has any experience with the Seaboard (live and/or studio) please share them! And even better, if you have some recordings videos make sure to post them too! :keyboard:

Best wishes (and Merry Christmas!)

-JL
jazzo96

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Roli Seaboard

Sponsor

Re: Roli Seaboard

Postby BuckW » 18 Jun 2017, 12:05

I'm intrigued by this unique controller as well. I'd like to improvise leads with horn, sax, and guitar patches. It seems one could be more expressive than standard keyboards.

But, at the end of the day a standard keyboard can go a long way at least monophonically with pitch bend and mod wheel or pedal. So now you're talking about a lot of money for guitar and some different, more expressive synth sounds.

I applaud the thinking and effort. They need to get them out there for people to check out and get their hands on, maybe even in Apple stores. I doubt I will ever buy one without being able to check it out and know I love it. No Austin Texas stores have one to check out.
BuckW

Postby Schulti » 12 Jun 2018, 13:21

Hey you Nord folks!

I want to bring this threat up because i didnt find anything related to this question on the forum.

Would love to have a feedback from you that are using a roli seaboard with a nord in conjunction! :D
Schulti

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby spradders » 12 Jun 2018, 16:18

I think it's the coolest thing. But ... despite how cool it is, I'm not a fan. Here's why! I've watched lots of videos of people playing them, even people like Cory Henry who I think is INCREDIBLE, but I don't find them doing anything on the seaboard that is anywhere near as good as the stuff they do on synths or even standard Elec Pianos etc. The concept is great, but it seems that the playability is just not quite where it needs to be. Also, I've played one for approx 30 mins (not long, I know) but I found myself cycling through the sounds and effects and never really digging into anything; occasionally I'd settle on something for a little while but I'd find frustrations with the speed, tuning and accuracy that I could achieve while playing it.
So overall I think they're cool and fun but still in the 'novelty' category where you might use it for one tune, but not for a whole gig.
Is that unfair....??? shoot me down!
spradders
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby analogika » 12 Jun 2018, 17:24

Look up Marco Parisi on Youtube. AMAZING stuff, and definitely NOT playable on a standard keyboard.

Cory Henry, whom I love dearly otherwise, didn't convince me on the Seaboard. But that guy….woah.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
CountFosco
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 12 Jun 2018, 22:11

Hell yeah. Good call analogika

The author CountFosco was thanked by:
analogika
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby spradders » 13 Jun 2018, 11:09

Oooo yeah nice.

The author spradders was thanked by:
analogika
spradders
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby maxpiano » 05 Jul 2018, 09:14

igoragrich wrote:It's a great keyboard, but it doesn't work without computer. For me it is cons.

It is basically a controller not a keyboard/synth, so of course it needs a computer or anything else to generate sounds (but the largest and most expensive version, Roli Seaboard Grand Stage, includes the Equator engine in HW so it can be played standalone)
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 Jul 2018, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby maxpiano » 05 Jul 2018, 15:00

analogika wrote:Look up Marco Parisi on Youtube. AMAZING stuff, and definitely NOT playable on a standard keyboard.

Cory Henry, whom I love dearly otherwise, didn't convince me on the Seaboard. But that guy….woah.

Like this... ? ;)

Watch on youtube.com
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum