Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Seamless Transition Question

Postby Venatt » 11 Jun 2018, 07:21

I know this has probably been discussed many times but how important is for you to have the Nord Electro 6 just because of the Seamless Transition function vs not having it ?
I ask this question because I am not sure if to buy the NE5 or the NE6. With the NE5 I know I would perhaps save some bucks.
Last edited by Venatt on 11 Jun 2018, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Venatt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Seamless Transition Question

Sponsor

Re: Seamless Transition Question

Postby baekgaard » 11 Jun 2018, 08:50

Do you often change sounds while playing, in a context where the keyboard is very noticeable? Are you good at timing your playing breaks to when you change sounds, or do you prefer to be able to have one sound "fading" into the next one? Depending on the answers to these questions, you may know if you "need" seamless or not.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 11 Jun 2018, 09:08

Note also that it's not just the instrument tone, but also the reverb that is carried over.

I've found that often, switching programs and having the reverb cut out is no less jarring than killing the instrument itself.

I enjoy no longer worrying about that (I've switched from a Stage 2 to a Stage 3, which also has delay causing additional issues, but the reverb and tone situation is the same on the Electro series).
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 11 Jun 2018, 13:37

baekgaard wrote:Do you often change sounds while playing

This is the key to the benefit. If you typically pick your sound before the song starts (or perhaps your pair of sounds, in the case of the E5D) and don't change them during the song, the feature won't matter much for you. If you do change them, regardless of whether or not you "need" the feature or are good at working around the transitions to avoid glitches, it's awfully nice to not have to worry about it. Obviously, a lot of people can manage without it, as witnessed by all the people who have happily played Electro 2/3/4/5 and other keyboards from Nord as well as Yamaha, Korg, whoever, which have not always supported this capability either. Though it's also not the only improvement of the 6. No one but the buyer can determine if the improvements are worth a given price difference (especially as people have different financial means), but I would be inclined to try to get the 6 unless I really needed the 5's MIDI capabilities or Set List mode.
anotherscott

Postby Venatt » 11 Jun 2018, 17:32

anotherscott wrote:
baekgaard wrote:Do you often change sounds while playing

This is the key to the benefit. If you typically pick your sound before the song starts (or perhaps your pair of sounds, in the case of the E5D) and don't change them during the song, the feature won't matter much for you. If you do change them, regardless of whether or not you "need" the feature or are good at working around the transitions to avoid glitches, it's awfully nice to not have to worry about it. Obviously, a lot of people can manage without it, as witnessed by all the people who have happily played Electro 2/3/4/5 and other keyboards from Nord as well as Yamaha, Korg, whoever, which have not always supported this capability either. Though it's also not the only improvement of the 6. No one but the buyer can determine if the improvements are worth a given price difference (especially as people have different financial means), but I would be inclined to try to get the 6 unless I really needed the 5's MIDI capabilities or Set List mode.

Please tell me about the set list mode, what is the advantage of the NE5 over the NE6 in that matter ?
Venatt

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby anotherscott » 11 Jun 2018, 18:12

Venatt wrote:Please tell me about the set list mode, what is the advantage of the NE5 over the NE6 in that matter ?

see post103044.html?hilit=organize#p103044
anotherscott

Return to Nord Electro Forum