This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

sound from nord to nord

Postby margitzurzler » 06 Jun 2018, 21:13

Hey there guys. I will play at a festival this summer and want to borrow a nord stage 2. The problem is that i will fly to the festival (its in london) and its to expensive for me to put my own nord stage 2 in the airplane. Is it easy to load sounds from my nord into my laptop (MacBook Pro) and then on to the nord i will borrow at the festival? thanks for your help - i'm gettin kinda nervous :D
margitzurzler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

sound from nord to nord

Sponsor

Re: sound from nord to nord

Postby Schorsch » 06 Jun 2018, 22:02

Hi,

the easiest way is probably to use Nord Sound Manager and create a full backup of your own nord, then restore it on the nord you are going to borrow. I think the two Nords have to be the same model (i.e. both Nord Stage 2 EX), but am not sure what happens if you for example borrow a Stage 2 EX and restore a backup from a Stage 2.

Also not sure if both have to have the same firmware revision installed
Last edited by Schorsch on 06 Jun 2018, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 06 Jun 2018, 22:46

The 2 EX and the 2 are compatible, but the 2EX has more storage for pianos and samples.

Alternatively, you could save the sounds you need as bundles, which include all necessary samples, and only put those onto the rental machine.

Download the latest firmware and keep it on your computer in any case, so that you can update the rental machine in case it’s on an older version.

Also note that Stage 2 and 2EX are compatible. You will NOT be able to copy programs onto a Stage classic or a Stage 3.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby margitzurzler » 11 Jun 2018, 14:57

hey you guys..

thanks a lot.. i will try it like you described! and i really hope that this works out.. i think if both systems are on the latest version it should work. Thanks again!!

Greetings!
margitzurzler

Postby analogika » 11 Jun 2018, 15:37

Might be a good idea to test it somewhere beforehand, rather than after getting stuck in traffic and running 20 minutes late for a festival line-check.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
analogika

Postby margitzurzler » 22 Jun 2018, 11:59

Yes, i will check it at the rehearsal and i will send the rental company my sounds via Dropbox just to be save :) thanks a lot for your Help guys,

Greetings from Austria
margitzurzler

Postby cphollis » 23 Jun 2018, 04:07

Beware piano sample load times :( You could be there for multiple hours if you have many large piano samples.

Also, please keep in mind you'll be completely overwriting whatever board you are "borrowing". If someone overwrote my board (without a backup and restore), I'd be super pissed.
Last edited by cphollis on 23 Jun 2018, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby megahertz » 01 Dec 2018, 23:15

Hi, guys. I'll also be in the same situation, flying to a gig where there will be a NS3 from a rental company. I need the rental unit to be an exact clone of my personal unit. Same OS, pianos, samples, programs, songs, menu settings, everything. I have no second NS3 I can test with so I need to make sure to bring everything I need.

How far does a restore to the rental unit from my personal unit's backup get me? Does that make the OS the same or do I need to do an OS upgrade separately? Will a restore configure the menu settings on the rental unit (i.e. system, sound, midi, extern, etc). Any reason to create bundles to load into the rental unit if I'm doing a restore.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

. M
megahertz

Postby ajstan » 02 Dec 2018, 01:03

Upgrade (or downgrade) the OS first (if needed), then restore. My only experience was when I exchanged ny NS3 due to a bad pitch stick and all was the same after I restored to the new unit. I didn’t check the global settings, but I would think they would be covered too. You shouldn’t need bundles. As noted previously, the largest amount of time will be in restoring pianos and samples. If the pianos/samples are already in the NS3 then the program is smart enough to skip them and it will save time.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Postby analogika » 02 Dec 2018, 12:25

Save a full backup AND bundles of your most important programs just in case.

We’ve seen on case here on the forums where a full restore failed (Stage 2 EX IIRC), but the poster was able to get working by copying over individual bundles.

It’s more prep work, but having them available in your archive may be useful at some time...
analogika

Next

Return to General Nord Forum