This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

stage 88

Postby theshib » 04 Jun 2018, 18:18

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a stage 88, stage 88EX and a stage 88-1? I can't find a manual for the stage 88, only the stage 88EX is listed.
theshib

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

stage 88

Sponsor

Re: stage 88

Postby dennispau » 04 Jun 2018, 20:46

The stage 88EX is an upgrade of the 88(classic). I think (correct me if I'm, anyone) the only difference is the memory size.
The original Stage Classic manual did not cover the added Sound Manager functionality, that is why the EX manual is available at the classics site...
Nord gear:
_ Nord Stage 3 88
_ Nektar Impact LX61+
_ MainStage 3
dennispau

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ajstan » 04 Jun 2018, 21:09

Differences between revisions of the Stage, and between the Stage and Stage EX, can be found at the bottom of this page:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-stage-ex
Last edited by ajstan on 04 Jun 2018, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby trumelpuut » 05 Jun 2018, 12:35

Yes, the only difference between the NS2 and the NS2EX is the memory: you get 1Gb of it on the NS2EX (which is barely enough) instead of 500Mb on the NS2 (which is not nearly enough). The new NS3, among other diffences, now has 2Gb (which at last is enough). But consider yourself lucky: the NS(1) had even less memory.

I upgraded from NS2 to NS2EX just for that, and am now considering the NS3...

To be clear: what I mean by "enough" memory is enough memory to load up every piano I like to play at the same time. If you're ok with only one or two high quality pianos, or more pianos at a lesser quality (which could be fine in a live rock band), or with connecting to the computer and go through the simple but rather slow sound loading process every now and then, then a smaller amount of memory could be fine for you.

For example: The best grand pianos in top quality weigh over 200Mb each. The upright pianos are under 100Mb. The EPs are about 15Mb each and the Harpsichord and Clavinet are under 10Mb. And Clavia's website provides so many great pianos and EPs, it's very hard to choose from.
They provide up to 4 quality levels for each piano, enabling you to save more than 75% space at the expense of realism: When you go down in quality, first string resonance disappears at both ends of the keyboard, then it disappears entirely and the low and high-end of the keyboard sound more like pitched samples, then finally your Nord sounds like a Casio across the entire keyboard.

Personally, once I've heard the top-quality versions, I can't bring myself to bear the lesser ones. Those top-quality pianos are the reason I bought a Nord in the first place !
Last edited by trumelpuut on 05 Jun 2018, 13:01, edited 10 times in total.
trumelpuut
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby baekgaard » 06 Jun 2018, 08:48

trumelpuut wrote:But consider yourself lucky: the NS(1) had even less memory.

Didn't the OP ask about the difference between NS(1) and not the NS2 models? So he may be less 'lucky' in your book :-)
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to General Nord Forum