This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord Stage - Interface- main mixer - DI box required

Postby Joepno » 04 Jun 2018, 23:07

Hi,

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for my personal mix and also as the interface for my iPad.
Now we have our first gig on a larger stage, a mixer desk some 20 m in front of the stage.
I am planning to send stereo outputs from the interface to the stagebox/main mixer. All outputs of the interface are symmetrical. I would use an audio cable with 1/4 inch jacks (stereo)in the interface and XLR to go into the stage box, i.e. a symmetrical connection.

Any need for an additional DI box between my Nord Stage and the interface?

Many thanks
joepno
Joepno

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage Classic

Nord Stage - Interface- main mixer - DI box required

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage - Interface- main mixer - DI box required

Postby analogika » 04 Jun 2018, 23:45

I'm not clear what exactly you intend to do:

If the Nord is hooked up to the stage box directly, you will need a DI box.

If it runs into your interface and out through the interface's stereo output, you won't.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Joepno » 05 Jun 2018, 07:44

The nord outputs (unbalanced) go into the interface. The interface outs (balanced) go into the stagebox.

As you said, in this case no need to have a DI Box. The interface will serve as a DI box, right?

And this would be the appropriate cable for the connection interface - stagebox, right?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfm_3 ... _kabel.htm

Many thanks. Just want to make sure that I have everything I need.
Joepno

Postby Tasten-Bert » 05 Jun 2018, 08:28

Hmm, to me the whole setup looks a bit too much for a live gig. If I remember correctly, the Focusrite is much more intended to be an analog to digital converter PLUS a small mixing console, right? And am I right, that you have your two keyboards on stage which you want to mix? Does your iPad also play music files which have to be mixed down? I mean, if there is a real person at the foh mixer, why not have him/her let do the mixing? If the stage box has inputs enough, I would put both keyboards plus eventually the iPad in there. This would mean that you need DI boxes, but normally the sound crew has those. But after 30 years on stage, keep it simple and riskfree!
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Joepno » 05 Jun 2018, 11:19

Just one keyboard and some sounds (bs-16i and sampletank) and setlistmaker/imidipatchbay (for lyrics and switching the presets) from the iPad. I control the iPad sounds with my Nord. Thats why I need an interface anyway. I know, a smaller interface would do, but the benefit of a smaller interface is negligable for me.

With the interface I can control my personal monitor mix when I receive an AUX mix ex keys.

For me it feels like a very slim setup. No additional hardware sound modules, all additional sounds come from the iPad. And no additional DI box between Nord and interface, which I have just learnt. I have used this setup several times, but only at smaller locations.

Someone who reviewed the Palmer Pan 04 DI box said he had put the DI box between his Nord keyboard and the interface. I could not understand why because as you have confirmed the interface will serve as a DI box as well. Or could I nevertheless experience humming etc. with my planned setup?
Last edited by Joepno on 05 Jun 2018, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Joepno

Postby Tasten-Bert » 05 Jun 2018, 17:39

It is exactly as analogika explained some posts above: From the nord directly into the Focusrite doesn't need DI boxes. I guess it's only short distance, isn't it? And the cable as in your link above is perfect for the way from interface to stagebox.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to General Nord Forum