General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Toto africa solo sounds

Postby randy » 03 Jun 2018, 11:39

Hi folks,

The africa synth is quite easy using the stage synth itself.

I am struggeling with the solos.
The first Part I use a Mix of flutes and piano.
The second Part I switch on the kalimba as well.

The thing is... I do not want to play 2 melodies but only one. So the 2 tones should ne oitched.

I can not find a solution for this. :crazy:

Regards randy
Last edited by randy on 03 Jun 2018, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
randy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Toto africa solo sounds

Sponsor

Re: Toto africa solo sounds

Postby analogika » 03 Jun 2018, 12:20

That doesn’t work, because the solo voices aren’t at a fixed interval — played across the B major pentatonic scale and the E major/C# minor scale.

You’re going to have to stick to playing a single line, or playing it with both hands and skipping out on the chords (or having somebody else play them).
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Eisenhans
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ahild » 23 Jun 2018, 14:24

I play it by starting with a patch made from Stage 3 "Privilege Flute Vibrato" sample (sounds near perfect) activated on section B and then when there is a pause after the first line I activate section A which has a patch using the Stage 3 "Mbira" samples ( I tried the Kalimba and other similar samples and they lacked the proper punch, crispness and bite that the sound on the song has the "Mbira" does the trick). Also on section A (the flute patch one) I have a digital grand piano blended in very faintly underneath the whole time to help give the whole line a little more articulation. Play the solo doing the harmonies throughout by playing with the left and and right hands and forget trying to comp any of the chords there. Have the guitarist mock them there or just go without, it works perfectly fine with just bass if need be, if the solo line(s) are played boldy enough. Also I have a keyboard split where on the very low end of the keyboard I have "only" an acoustic piano sound raised up to the correct octaves etc. So I can sneak in one quick chord comp where there is the biggest pause in the solo just before the last ascending harmonized lines.

The author ahild was thanked by 8 members, including:
EisenhansRnBDogBerretjeAlexNagelPScooter63baekgaardanalogikaTracii
ahild

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby ajstan » 23 Jun 2018, 22:16

Nice first post, @ahild. Welcome to the forum!
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
opee4us
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby ahild » 25 Jun 2018, 20:21

Thanks, happy to be here, gotta love the Nord.
ahild

Postby ahild » 25 Jun 2018, 20:36

Oh, I also forgot to mention that when saying I start with the flute sound and then after the first line I then activate the Marimba (on the other panel) is because on the actual solo the Marimba/Kalimba sound, what have you, doesn't start right away, it's only the flutish sound at first doing the descending harmonized line and after a slight pause the Marimba/Kalimba begins to double it for the remainder. Just wanted to be a bit more specific.
ahild

Return to Nord Stage Forum