All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Amplification for Nord Electro 5 hp + Vocals

Postby thecount » 29 May 2018, 19:52

Hey guys

I read alot about a suitable ampllification for a nord, but i'm not sure which one would fit me needs.
I use an electro 5 hp, together which shure sm58 (Reverb via TC Helicon Voicelive), mainly for weddings in churches or outside, often less than 100 (quiet) people.

The problem is, i am not quiet sure which kind of system i want to use: Fullrange Box or "line array" systems, like bose l1 or rcf evox.

At the moment i use a dynacord am 12, which has a build in mixer that i really lie for such small jobs like weddings. But the look, especially on a tri pod is not that great for weddings, i think an array system could be more elegant

Do you have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it if there would be a system with a build in mixer (like 3 channel and master eq).

Budget up to 1500 $, actually i dont have to change now, but i'm trying to get infos for the future.
thecount

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Amplification for Nord Electro 5 hp + Vocals

Sponsor

Re: Amplification for Nord Electro 5 hp + Vocals

Postby cphollis » 30 May 2018, 01:26

Given that you're a solo performer at mostly acoustic levels, I'd go the line array stick route. Amazing clarity, projects well, fills the room nicely.

I had a Bose L1 Model II for a while -- absolutely perfect for this kind of gig, albeit expensive. There are some good ones now that are much less expensive, e.g. the Behringer Turbsound and similar.

Box PA units work better when you have to compete with other instruments -- which you don't.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby kirsty » 28 Jun 2018, 00:19

Hi Chuck, related to the above. May I ask your comments on how these Line array stick speaker setups sound with the Nord piano''s ... as we have all discussed how good amplification is needed to get the best out of the samples.

I know when I originally bought my Nord I was a little underwhelmed by the sound at home vs when we played on some bigger stages. I ended up upgrading my home setup from a Yamaha Stagepas 600i to the EV ELX 12 /18 route in order to get the Nord sounding like I would have expected it to.

I have been considering a line stick array for smaller gigs myself given that for the relatively small wattage they seem to have a good rep for kicking out great sound. Im left wondering if I would be very disappointed in how the Nord pianos would come out of it?

Kirsty

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby cphollis » 28 Jun 2018, 04:17

Hi Kirsty

I'll tell you about my experiences with the Bose LI Model II. Those experiences may or may not be transferable to other line array sticks, so beware.

In a nutshell, all of my APs sounded clear, pristine, linear and accurate from the low mids through the upper register. It was that crystal clear kind of sound you get on the really good stuff. Which means your Nord APs sound great. Everything else sounds pretty good as well, but things like APs and acoustic instruments really sound good to my ears.

Just to re-iterate, when it's just you singing and playing, more than enough volume, full-room coverage -- nice, tasty ear candy. Plop it a bit behind you, no need for separate monitors, with very little chance of feedback.

On the potential downside?

A Bose L1 Model II has four discrete pieces which you assemble. None of the pieces are heavy, they all have nifty bags, and they go together in a snap. Thundering bass registers are not its strong suit unless you go for bigger (or more) bass modules. Didn't bother me none, the standard (small) bass module did more than enough.

You're playing in mono, so choose your AP voices and effects accordingly. For me, the excellent room coverage and clarity outweighed "real" stereo.

Given your history with amplification, I would put the Bose L1 Model II several notches above the ELX in sound quality and dispersion, but not sheer volume. Again, when the going gets loud in a band, not the right tool for the job.

If I had the time and interest, I'd be exploring the newer line array sticks to see if there's good bang-for-buck there. You'll occasionally see used Bose L1 Model IIs on the market, but they never seem to come down in price :(

I'd still have mine (and enjoy it) if I were still playing smaller, acoustic style gigs. If I ever do get back to doing that again, I'll be in the market for another Bose L1 Model II.

Hope this helps?

-- Chuck
Last edited by cphollis on 28 Jun 2018, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

The author cphollis was thanked by:
kirsty
cphollis

Postby kirsty » 28 Jun 2018, 16:32

It helps very much indeed Chuck. Thankyou !

Could you run 2 of these to get a stereo effect out of interest? Or are they designed to work in Mono only

Kirsty
Last edited by kirsty on 28 Jun 2018, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby cphollis » 28 Jun 2018, 18:02

Yes, I've people run with a pair of Bose L1 Model IIs to get stereo using an outboard mixer. But, using US prices, you're talking about $6k and an awful lot of gear. It might be more reasonable with other line array sticks, but I can't vouch for the sound.

In my mind, there are
- single speaker solutions for smaller gigs (line array sticks, CPS SSv3)
- dual speaker solutions where there is limited (or no) FOH (pairs of self-powered PAs like QSC K8.2)
- setups where you rely entirely on FOH and use IEMs for personal monitoring.

I can't see bringing a dual speaker setup to a smaller, acoustic-level gig. I mean, it's certainly possible and I'm sure many people do it, it's just that (a) it's hard to get an even, non-directional sound in a smaller venue, (b) lots of gear to haul for not much money.

Cheers!

The author cphollis was thanked by 2 members, including:
kirstyPScooter63
cphollis

Return to Accessories and Amplification