This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord- Best cables for live sound

Postby JayDee » 01 May 2018, 17:01

As a guitar player also, I can tell you cables can make a fairly dramatic difference for that instrument. Often characterized by a loss of treble especially on longer runs (which is why guys will use a buffered signal). My keyboards with a robust low imp. signal, not so much.
Last edited by JayDee on 01 May 2018, 17:04, edited 2 times in total.
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Sponsor

Postby st2ex » 01 May 2018, 23:03

And during this correction the converters loos parts of their converter linearity, what reduces e.g. stereo resolution.
Kind regards,
Helmut

Nord Stage 4C - Nord Stage 3HA88 - Roland AX-Synth - Korg M1 - Kawai Upright Piano
st2ex

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby GeeDeWee » 08 May 2018, 09:43

I always assumed that cables should have a low capacity, as high capacity cable acts like a low pass filter resulting in loss of treble.
But reading this thread, that's not so much the case with keyboards? (with for instance 6 meters of cable)

The Klotz KM Pro 600 double mono cable looks ideal (capacity of 130 pF/m)
https://shop.klotz-ais.com/6275-keymaster-pr.html

Is the Cordial SCI 6 PR-175 with a capacity of 88 pF/m 'better'?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_csi_6 ... earch_prv_
GeeDeWee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Quai34 » 08 May 2018, 10:09

I think I have used Mogami 3368 when I had made my custom guitar pedalboard patch cables, the inductance was 73? pF...
But for keys, I have used the Yorkville one, lifetime warranty, even if you abuse them, they change it here in Canada.

For studio, I have bought some planet wave studio snake but also Seismic audio cables after having read good reviews from people who were using them live so, for fixed installation, I assumed they could do a good job and they are....
So, no stress on cables for keys, completely different from guitars....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby keysmcgee » 08 May 2018, 20:03

GeeDeWee wrote:I always assumed that cables should have a low capacity, as high capacity cable acts like a low pass filter resulting in loss of treble.
But reading this thread, that's not so much the case with keyboards? (with for instance 6 meters of cable)

Correct, but the knee of the LPF depends on the output impedance of the source. Sources with low output impedance (active devices such as keyboards) will push the LPF to higher frequencies where it is less likely to be an issue.

Sources with high output impedance (passive electric guitars, Rhodes pianos without preamps, etc) will have a lower knee frequency for the LPF; this could result in loss of HF depending on the exact output impedance and cable capacitance.
-Stephen

DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic
keysmcgee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby Ceyhan » 20 May 2018, 18:39

I use Planet Waves PW-AMSGRA-20 American Stage, I had no problems for more than a year, clean sound without any hissing or noise.
Ceyhan
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum