This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord Stage 2 compact vs Nord Electro 6D 61

Postby debugloop » 18 May 2018, 14:43

Hey,

I've saved up some money for my first Nord device, specifically an Electro 6D 61, but now I've got the opportunity to grab a used Nord Stage 2 compact for about the same prize. This has me wondering which one I should get. While all the new Features on the Electro 6 (split fades, seamless tranistion, newer organ model and sample version, ...) sound very nice, I have never owned a keyboard featuring Aftertouch like the Stage does. In general, I'd like to have the Stage morphing capabilities. The Synth section is not all that important to me, the Sample Synth would be enough for me.

Can you help me judge how the Electro 6D upgrades in sound/memory/playability compare to the Stage 2's morphing? Is warranty a factor you'd consider?

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks!
debugloop

Nord Stage 2 compact vs Nord Electro 6D 61

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2 compact vs Nord Electro 6D 61

Postby cphollis » 18 May 2018, 22:28

Well, equivalent samples will sound equivalent on each.

Yes, you're getting a newer organ model on the NE6, but it's not like the NS2 organ model sucks or anything. Aftertouch and morphing can be cool if used sparingly. Much more useful when we're talking a real synth section (e.g. NS2) when there's more to morph.

Seems you're not all that interested in APs as neither board has the weighted action you'd prefer. So it sort of gets down to sample memory, and my NS2 had plenty for what I was trying to do at the time.

The other thing to put on the table is the NS3 Compact, which was a significant upgrade from the NS2. Not like I'm trying to make your life more difficult, or anything :) The NS3 has many of the performance upgrades found on the NE6. Sort of best of both worlds.

Best of luck!
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby anotherscott » 19 May 2018, 00:30

Yeah, of course the NS3 gives you the best of both, but it's no longer at the same price as the other two!

If you don't particularly care about synth, then aftertouch and morphing may have pretty minor benefits. Of the two, I'd go with the NE6. You get the nice OLED display/interface, real drawbars, updated organ, what many people seem to feel is an improved action (at least based on what people have said about the NE5D and the NS3 compared to the older NS2, so I assume the same will apply to the NE6), seamless sound transitions, more polyphony, more piano and synth sample memory. The main stuff you lose are the advanced synth functions (including the aftertouch, pitch stick, mod wheel/morphing), a bunch of MIDI functionality, more output routing options, I believe more complete clavinet EQ settings, and more flexible splits/layers (i.e. 2 split points instead of 1, the ability to have two piano sounds and two synth sounds simultaneously instead of 1 of each). And in the case of the two you're comparing, 73 keys instead of 61, though since the NS2 73 stops at the low F, personally, it does not have as big of an advantage as if it went to low E, but that depends on how you intend to use it (i.e. more of an issue if you play LH bass).
Last edited by anotherscott on 19 May 2018, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Postby debugloop » 19 May 2018, 10:20

NS3 is definitely out of my price range, sadly. But yeah, I recognize that this would have everything. But morphing and such *is* assignable to effects, isn't it? With an Electro changing effect depth would work via pedals only? On a related note: I really like the thought of havin Vibrato via Aftertouch on a String Sample. So even without using the Synth section to heavily, this is something I don't get from the Electro? Or is there a fancy pedal?

Your're both unconcerned about having no warranty left on the NS2?
debugloop

Postby Spider » 19 May 2018, 12:33

Of course the biggest advantage of the NS2 is the synth section. But apart from that, don't forget you have TWO piano sections, two organs, and two sample players that you can split/layer/morph etc.

It's basically like two Electros (and then some) in one board. If you can find it at the same price, I'd go for the NS2. Yes it will be out if warranty, but Nords (especially the older ones) are usually built like tanks, unless it's been beat up really badly you shouldn't worry about reliability.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby anotherscott » 19 May 2018, 13:45

debugloop wrote:But morphing and such *is* assignable to effects, isn't it?

Yes. It's not that it's useless if you don't car about synth stuff, just less significant. And I"m sure people use it differently, but personally, it is rare that I want to vary an effect rate/depth as I play. The likely exceptions would probably be wah and delay (and as it happens, the delay parameters on the NS2 aren't morphable anyway).

debugloop wrote:With an Electro changing effect depth would work via pedals only?

No pedal control, just the front panel controls, AFAIK.

debugloop wrote:On a related note: I really like the thought of havin Vibrato via Aftertouch on a String Sample. So even without using the Synth section to heavily, this is something I don't get from the Electro?

Correct, that is something useful you would lose.

You definitely lose some things either way. Personally, I'd lose more on the NS2 than on the Electro 6, but it's up to you to make you own calculation of which things are more useful to you.

Spider wrote:{NS2 is} basically like two Electros (and then some) in one board.

True, but it's more like two of the Electro 3 in one board, which is not necessarily as good as a single Electro 6, depending on what features are most important to you, especially if you have minimal interest in the synth section.
anotherscott

Postby harmonizer » 19 May 2018, 16:13

I will repeat anotherscott's statement that there is no pitch bend on the Electro 6D 61. It is puzzling to me how a board that costs this much would not have pitch bend. (Regardless of what sounds are in the Electro 6D, it does have a MIDI OUT on the back.)
Also I will repeat that the split capability on the NS2 is more flexible than that of the Electro 6: While the Electro 6 can have 3 split sections, you can only have one piano section sound in use at a time, one organ section sound in use at a time, and one sample section sound in use at a time. The NS2 does not have this restriction.
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby harmonizer » 19 May 2018, 16:21

You wrote that you are considering a used "Nord Stage 2 compact". Is it actually a Nord Stage 2 EX Compact, or a Nord Stage 2 73?
I mention this because Nord does not use the word "Compact" as part of the name of the 73-key version of its older "non-EX" version of the Stage 2.
If the seller is accurate about "Compact" being part of the product's name, then it might be a Nord Stage 2 EX Compact, which has double the amount of piano bank memory, and is E-E instead of F-F.

This chart highlights the differences:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/n ... ison-chart
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby anotherscott » 19 May 2018, 16:35

harmonizer wrote:Regardless of what sounds are in the Electro 6D, it does have a MIDI OUT on the back.
I'm glad it's there, but the E6 actually has even less MIDI controller functionality than the E5. There is no longer a truly workable way to split the board between an internal and an external sound.
anotherscott

Postby debugloop » 19 May 2018, 18:45

@harmonizer: While his ad said Nord Stage 2 compact SW73, the keyboard on the pictures did not feature the EX on the back, so I guess having an additional compact in there was an error I promptly copied.

Considering all your points and how they apply to me, I'll go ahead and get the NS2 for the following reasons:
- it is 50€ cheaper
- it has modulation options and esp. Aftertouch which I've wanted to try/have for a long time
- it's the more flexible device regarding MIDI and splits

Additionally, the seller went ahead and asked his dealer about a checkup (and refurbishing, if necessary) on goodwill basis, which will be done monday (he's either a friend or a big spender there, apparently). Im kind of sad about missing out on the newer interface with the OLED display, the supposedly improved action and additional memory. I don't care too much about the rest of the mentioned points. It might surprise some of you that the physical drawbars are not a point in favor of the NE6, but I think I'd rather have them set correctly when loading a patch and pass on the hands on feeling.

Thanks so much for your feedback, you really helped me seeing the pros and cons and getting my own priorities right. :thanks:
debugloop

Next

Return to General Nord Forum