General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

KBGate Nord Stage 2

Postby someclevername » 15 May 2018, 12:44

Is it possible to use KBGate so that notes do not sound unless the pedal is pressed? All I can tell from the manual is that you can prevent notes being sent.

This seems to be demonstrated here: https://youtu.be/A8qBEUPpAPU?t=100 but I don't see how to set it up.

I'd love to have a Piano/Epiano on all the time and use KBGate to play brass "stabs" only when the latch pedal is down.
someclevername

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

KBGate Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Re: KBGate Nord Stage 2

Postby maxpiano » 15 May 2018, 15:06

No you cannot do that, but you can use the ControlPedal to morph the synth volume instead
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Schulti » 15 May 2018, 15:59

The video in someclevernams post does actually show what he wants to do... But i dont have an idea how its done.
Schulti

Postby someclevername » 15 May 2018, 16:52

Schulti wrote:The video in someclevernams post does actually show what he wants to do... But i dont have an idea how its done.

Since it's not an official triple pedal it might be that the guy has inverted the pedal polarity. I've asked in the comments on his youtube video. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

The author someclevername was thanked by:
Schulti
someclevername

Postby tomzi » 15 May 2018, 17:28

perhaps if you change the Polarity of the Pedal.....

..... oh sorry You just said it yourself...
Last edited by tomzi on 15 May 2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
tomzi
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby maxpiano » 15 May 2018, 19:46

someclevername wrote:
Schulti wrote:The video in someclevernams post does actually show what he wants to do... But i dont have an idea how its done.

Since it's not an official triple pedal it might be that the guy has inverted the pedal polarity. I've asked in the comments on his youtube video. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Since I use the Triple pedal for latch I had not thought about that option... I should have watched the video before answering (and best with Englis subtitles enabled) :oops: yes, he clearly has manually set the polarity of the Latch/Rotor pedal to be the opposite of the actual one, in this way he gets that “reversed” behaviour.

Nice trick!
Last edited by maxpiano on 15 May 2018, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby someclevername » 16 May 2018, 10:15

Guy got back to me, he was reversing the polarity of the pedal. Shame you can't do it on the triple pedal as I want the rotor control and latch to be separate.

Now I'm thinking about making a custom connector to allow a sustain pedal and reversed latch pedal to be connected as a "triple pedal". However, I'd just be tricking the keyboard into what it isn't really wanting to do.

It would be sweet if Nord would add the flexibility to do this, as a software engineer, I'd happily do it if I could get my hands on the source code! However, I doubt Nord would add this as KBgate was deleted on the Nord Stage 3 and they're probably not developing new functionality for the Stage 2/2EX.
someclevername

Re: KBGate Nord Stage

Postby maxpiano » 16 May 2018, 15:06

There is still an alternative, send the Latch command to the Synth section via MIDI, i.e from a pedal connected to a master keyboard (or using a dedicated “Midipedal” box, for example a http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm or a DIY equivalent solution) and mapped to the appropriate MIDI CC , with the desired polarity/behaviour.
Last edited by maxpiano on 16 May 2018, 15:12, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby someclevername » 16 May 2018, 16:47

Seriously tempted to make a DIY arduino box with 3 switches: an inverted latch pedal, a pedal to jump to slot A and a pedal to jump to slot B. Then you can change everything while playing muhahaha!
someclevername

Return to Nord Stage Forum