Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 6D 73 noisy keys upon release

Postby anorak22 » 14 May 2018, 22:39

I got a new Nord Electro 6D 73. Some of the keys (especially the lowest octave) are really noisy upon release. They produce a high pitched "clonk" noise.
I opened to unit to have a look. When releasing a key, it is pulled back up by the spring. At the upper position, the key hits a stopper, located inside the keys (where you place your fingers). When the key is released and hits the stopper, a high pitched mechanical sound can be heard. I am not sure what makes the sound; it might be the springs, or the springs in contact with the key, or the key hitting the stopper...

I previously had a Electro 3D 73 and also briefly a 5D 73; they also made some mechanical noise, but I believe it was less.

Does anybody has the same issue?

Is there anything to do about it?

Thanks for your comments!
Last edited by anorak22 on 15 May 2018, 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Electro 6D 73; Nord Piano 3
anorak22

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Nord Electro 6D 73 noisy keys upon release

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 6D 73 noisy keys upon release

Postby benny ray » 16 May 2018, 00:48

I wouldn't recommend opening the unit it could void the warranty.
benny ray

Postby NordFR64 » 16 May 2018, 09:33

Hi

I have an Electro 6D 73 as well. After reading your post, I paid special attention, and I did not notice any specific noise on the lower keys... Same noise for all keys !
NordFR64

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby afroskully » 16 May 2018, 18:44

I have the same issue on my 5D SW 73. lower octave notes with loud clunk upon return. apparently there's a felt piece (or rubber maybe?) it's supposed to hit at the top and I was told by a service technician he's seen those pieces become dislodged, creating a louder sound. As I'm past warranty, I haven't had it taken care of yet, as it only really bothers me when i'm playing quietly at home. I don't notice it on stage at all.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Push-Pull » 18 May 2018, 17:09

Anorak>

when I recieved my NE6 last month, I had the same problem: a mechanical "clonk" when some keys were released (specially in the 2nd octave).
In fact, those keys were hitting the edge of the front panel. When comparing with my "old" NE5, I saw that the panel of the NE6 was very near the keybed.

So I opened the Nord, and there is a kind of leg in the center of the panel. I've inserted a washer just under the leg of the panel. Warning: it needs a longer screw.
Now the panel is 1mm higher over the keybed and no more noise :-)
Push-Pull
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby jefsco » 18 May 2018, 19:56

Push-Pull wrote:Anorak>

So I opened the Nord, and there is a kind of leg in the center of the panel. I've inserted a washer just under the leg of the panel. Warning: it needs a longer screw.
Now the panel is 1mm higher over the keybed and no more noise :-)

that’s wonderful that you have possibly fixed this issue on your ne6, but scary that nord doesn’t recognize the problem exists.

jeff
jeff
jefsco

Return to Nord Electro Forum