General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Seamless transitions within same Program

Postby elekktro » 15 May 2018, 23:53

Hi! Great forum over here, has been a wealth of knowledge with the new Stage 3.

I've just updated to OS version 1.40, and have noticed the seamless transition doesn't work while changing Piano or Organ sounds in the same program (or song). Should this functionality work work when changing sounds in a "section" (piano/organ/synth), or is this only intended to work when switching between programs? My menu setting is correct (on), and the transitions work as they as it should for changing through programs, so no issue there. Interestingly, the seamless function works fine in the same program when changing sounds only in the Synth section.

For example, if I'm playing in a program with a specific Piano preset, say EPiano 7.. and want to scroll up a few sounds to the Wurlitzer while sustaining - the sound cuts off while scrolling.

I can't recall how this worked before 1.40.. Is this just a limitation of the sound engine/OS, or perhaps there's an issue with my board??

Anyone else experiencing this?
elekktro

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Seamless transitions within same Program

Sponsor

Re: Seamless transitions within same Program

Postby LudovicVDP » 16 May 2018, 09:29

As far as I know, it's indeed from a program to another.
If I'm not mistaken, to go from EPiano7 to Wurli, you either need to work with Slot A and B or to create two different programs.
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby AlexNagel » 16 May 2018, 10:21

elekktro wrote:I've just updated to OS version 1.40, and have noticed the seamless transition doesn't work while changing Piano or Organ sounds in the same program (or song). Should this functionality work work when changing sounds in a "section" (piano/organ/synth),

No. (But it actually does work in the synth section, when changing from one samples to another. I don't know why, but it's nice! :-)

elekktro wrote:or is this only intended to work when switching between programs?

Yes.

elekktro wrote:Interestingly, the seamless function works fine in the same program when changing sounds only in the Synth section.

Surprisingly, this is true, as mentioned above.

Regards, Alex
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 18 May 2018, 16:04

Here's another situation where I wish seamless sound transition implementation were a bit more thorough... I think turning a section off should not silence held notes.

Here's an example: Say I have a Program with Piano and Organ, where Piano is active, and the organ section, although Off, is programmed with the organ sound I'll be switching to. I'm playing piano, and coming up on the part of the song where I will want to switch to organ. I'm holding a piano chord, and my plan is to hit the Piano On/Off button and the Organ On/Off button, so all my subsequent notes will be organ instead of piano. Well, as soon as I hit the Piano On/Off button, my held notes are silenced. :-(

Does everyone agree that it would be a lot better if the held notes continued to sound until they were released?

I know, for this example, you could create a Song with, for example, the piano under the Song Part 1 button and the organ under Song Part 2. But this was just a simple example to illustrate the concept. The actual Program was something I created to let me easily switch among common sounds on the fly... it has my favorite piano, organ, and string sounds under one panel; a rhodes, alternate organ, and synth under the other. No splits. The idea was to allow me to quickly get to any of 6 of my most common sounds, individually or in layers, all from within a single Program button, without having to think about which combinations I had available under which buttons, and while also leaving the 4 other Program buttons instantly available for other purposes.
anotherscott

Return to Nord Stage Forum