Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

HELP. lost on my new Lead 4

Postby Josephine » 10 May 2018, 03:36

Hi. A month ago I got my new Lead 4 .
I went in to buy the Dave Smith OB6, but the sales guy showed how the Nord could do the same job (at half the price).
He wrote down a few patch values I should use as a start point on the Nord to get OB6 sounds, which worked in the store, but I just can’t get them now :sad:
I’ve called the store, but in the end I’m just wasting time instead of rehearsing :thumbdown:

It was so easy on the OB6 to get what I wanted, since they were all in the preset sounds.
So I’ve looked through this forum for OB6 downloads, but can’t find anything.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some OB6 patches please :thanx:

ps. Don’t be cheeky and tell me to get the OB6 :evil:
Josephine

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

HELP. lost on my new Lead 4

Sponsor

Re: HELP. lost on my new Lead 4

Postby derrellpiper » 10 May 2018, 04:35

Are you sure you can't return the Lead 4? It's not going to make the kinds of sounds the OB6 does. It just won't. No magic patch is going to help you.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Quai34 » 10 May 2018, 06:46

Ok, I don't get it about the sales rep? When you have a customer who comes with cash to buy a more expensive product, why bother not getting what he has asked? You usually "Upsell", not "down sell"?
Anyway, yes, I agree, I don't have a NL4, I have a NL2X which really sounds different as my P08, this, Imagine the OB6 will be really different...
Do you NOT really like the Lead4? If yes, just return it...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby stiiiiiiive » 10 May 2018, 13:42

Well, I tend to think a good salesman knows how to evaluate the customer needs (and simple desires too) and know how to give the right piece of advice. In that case, he must have missed hte fact that not only sound counts in such a purchase; the interface does too.

Josephine, the question to answer for you is indeed: do you want to keep that Nord Lead 4?
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby maxpiano » 10 May 2018, 14:06

Buying a OB6 just to use its preset sounds is a little of a waste, imho, which is probably why the seller pointed you to a cheaper solution but he probably “forgot” to ask you how familiar with synthesizers you were...

With the NL4 you can get sounds which can resemble the OB6, to some good extent, though they are never going to be identical for obvious reasons; the real question is: what are you looking for, why do you need a synth and why did you initially go for the OB6? What type of music and/or sounds are you after?
Last edited by maxpiano on 10 May 2018, 14:52, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby CountFosco » 10 May 2018, 23:28

If you can't find the patches he showed you, you could connect the Lead via USB to a computer with Nord Sound Manager installed. There you can see searchable and sortable lists of the preset patches and performances listed by name and category (eg pad, lead, etc). The names are generally quite descriptive (eg moog lead). You could sort the list of patches by category so all the lead sounds are together. Then double click on them in Sound Manager to step through them all quickly.

The author CountFosco was thanked by:
Josephine
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Josephine » 11 May 2018, 03:22

I found this and like quite a number of the sounds.
Thanks CountFosco :thumbup:

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libr ... lfves-bank

AdamStage2, you are spot on. :thumbup: That’s how it unfolded in the store. Also, what you said reminded me that he said “always use at least unison 1 to get the classic oscillators drift”. Now things are starting to sound normal.

Now, I know some of you are not trying to be condescending, I do like the Nord and will keep it.
Simply put, I grew up listening to Dad play an OBXa. Unfortunately he had to sell it. So I’m just trying to get that sound back. That’s why I originally went after the OB6.
Josephine

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 4

Postby derrellpiper » 11 May 2018, 03:45

As you may know, the OB-6 is a collaboration between Dave Smith and Tom Oberheim, based on DSI's Prophet 6 design. Oberheim designed a new voice card for the P6 motherboard, based on a SEM filter and the vintage Oberheim sounds, and they both collaborated on the front panel. Basically, two analog masters having fun in their retirement. It sounds as nice as the Prophet 6 but I wanted the sound of the Prophet 5.

The Nord Lead 4 is born in the digital age. It's arguably the most capable of the bunch, being able to create the most complex waveforms of the three. It's not going to sound like an OBXa, but then again, you won't have to worry about it breaking, being out of tune, being dependent on weather, or having good power supply. Nords have great things going for them, so if you're enjoying yours, and like the waveforms, by all means, enjoy!

PS, I'm not trying to imply an OB-6 isn't reliable; I'm sure it is; I'm referring to vintage synths in general. It would cost a fortune to keep them running these days. We have lost those skills.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 11 May 2018, 08:02, edited 52 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Quai34 » 11 May 2018, 09:36

stiiiiiiive wrote:Well, I tend to think a good salesman knows how to evaluate the customer needs (and simple desires too) and know how to give the right piece of advice. In that case, he must have missed hte fact that not only sound counts in such a purchase; the interface does too.

Josephine, the question to answer for you is indeed: do you want to keep that Nord Lead 4?

Well, you're right, I've been dreaming of an OB6 for so long that I had put myself in the shoes of a customer who can afford it and not the sales rep....
But still surprising for second choice: it has been said:
VA versus VCO
Multi timbral versus mono timbal
UI really easy to learn synthesis on for the OB6 versus UI a bit tricker
I was maybe too fast to reply but I Had the feeling that the doubt was brought by the NL4 not being what was planned first....
But if you like it, keep it, it's a crazy good synth and just start saving for the OB6 module, I don't want to be the only pack rat/hoarder on the forum....I get it now....The rep was a genius, he has made the customer buy a cheaper one, make sure the customer has still the willingness to buy any kind of OBx-a synth that reminds him his Dad (which nothing/no one can argue against it...) and done, in the long run, two synths sold...
Just kidding...
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby stiiiiiiive » 11 May 2018, 18:02

:)
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4