General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Change Sample playback speed live with midi controller

Postby Gerchli_GlaaBoe » 09 May 2018, 09:31

Hi Nord-Forum,

just a quick question from my side.
Is there a way to change the plaback speed of a sample live?

Lets say my drummer gives a beat and you want to adjust your sound live?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Sandro
Last edited by Gerchli_GlaaBoe on 09 May 2018, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Gerchli_GlaaBoe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Change Sample playback speed live with midi controller

Sponsor

Re: Change Sample playback speed live with midi controller

Postby derrellpiper » 09 May 2018, 20:00

You'll need something like Ableton Live (or the new Prophet X) to stretch samples on playback. Native Instruments also does this (Maschine/Traktor).
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

The author derrellpiper was thanked by:
Gerchli_GlaaBoe
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby cgrafx » 09 May 2018, 20:15

Gerchli_GlaaBoe wrote:Hi Nord-Forum,

just a quick question from my side.
Is there a way to change the plaback speed of a sample live?

Lets say my drummer gives a beat and you want to adjust your sound live?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Sandro

Generally if you need something to tempo locked, you'd go the other way round. Give your drummer a click from your system that matches your sample.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
Gerchli_GlaaBoe
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gerchli_GlaaBoe » 09 May 2018, 20:51

Ok thank you for the help :)
Then we will do it the other way around.
Gerchli_GlaaBoe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Quai34 » 10 May 2018, 10:53

I hope your drummer will be able to do it, to play on a click....When I asked that years ago, some members told me that and I didn't want to believe it, I was thinking "Well, who is the first musician in a band that has to play on a click, it's the drummer, so no worries....". Believe it or not, I fund many more drummers who cannot/don't want/are not used to play on a click than drummers who can do it right away and tight....
It's usually a request from the drummer: " could you change the tempo or make it keep it tight with me?"....
No harsh on drummers, it's my experience, maybe I met the wrong ones who are not the majority....
Last edited by Quai34 on 10 May 2018, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby cgrafx » 10 May 2018, 11:39

its actually not so easy to play to a click particularly if your not used to playing that way. But there really isn't much of a choice if your going to have tempo-based samples or backing tracks of any kind.

The only other alternative is if your samples can be broken up into segments that can actually be played (like the uptown funk samples where each DOH sound is actually played). I've done that with the drum/stomp/hand claps in "We Will Rock You" so that I can play at a different tempo than originally recorded.

But in my band the drummer and I also both play to a click track. It took a bit of getting used to, but its had some really nice advantages.
- We know how long each song will take because we play at the same tempo each night (no rushing or dragging)
- Its actually been possible to mix and match video/audio recordings because the tempo is the same for each performance
- Places where the drums drop out and there are just keyboard parts that need to keep clean tempo are really easy to do with the click running (Examples of this are Journeys - Separate Ways and Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven. both songs have sections where there aren't drums keeping tempo).
Last edited by cgrafx on 10 May 2018, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
PScooter63
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum