General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Basic help needed with ns3 and mainstage

Postby Oly1200 » 08 May 2018, 22:24

Ok, I need some plain and simple to understand help pleaseZ
I have a ns3 and mainstage 3
On a MacBook .
Usb cable connected to Mac and other end ( printer type connection)
In the nord.
Left and right jacks out of nord into desk
Of rig.

I would like to be able to play on some songs the nord programs,
And on other songs , sounds from mainstage on the computer.

1. Is this possible,
2. Can I do it without purchasing more hardware.
I don’t need to mix the two together, I’m
Happy to either play the nord on its own or play the mainstage through the nord, as
Long as i can switch between the two
Between songs.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide to do this? From what to connect to what to button by button setup on the nord and mainstage . Thank you in anticipation
Oly1200

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Basic help needed with ns3 and mainstage

Sponsor

Re: Basic help needed with ns3 and mainstage

Postby analogika » 08 May 2018, 23:58

You won’t need extra hardware is both the computer and the Nord are audible at the same time through the mixer.

The easiest way to do this is to run the computer and the Nord into different inputs on the mixer and just mute/Unmute those channels on the mixer as appropriate.

If you want to get into programming a little, you can create a silent preset in Mainstage for when you want to hear only the Nord, and

You can use the Extern section on the Nord for controlling which patches in Mainstage are set, if you’re not using something like an iPad to control this or are doing it by hand.

Also, if you have a program on the Nord with no active engines except for the Extern section, the Nord will be completely silent and can be used to control only Mainstage.

With careful planning, you can split the nord’s keyboard between internal sounds and the Extern section to build splits and layers of both the Nord and Mainstage at the same time.
Last edited by analogika on 09 May 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 09 May 2018, 00:45

I would just add that, if you only want to play one or another at any given time, I probably wouldn't bother with the Nord's EXT function, which is ideal when you want to mix and match internal and external sounds at the same time. If you're playing external (Mainstage) sounds only, you can skip EXT, and just connect the MIDI, and use the Global Channel (usually Channel 1), and it will just work. An advantage of this is that all the front panel controls send MIDI on that channel, so you should be able to program them to do what you want (i.e. have the Nord's drawbars control the Mainstage organ if you want, or having its synth knobs control whatever synth functions you want)... it makes it a more flexible controller.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
analogika
anotherscott

Postby analogika » 09 May 2018, 00:49

Ah yes, another aspect of the first, and simplest, option. Note that switching programs on the Nord may result in unintended patch switches in Mainstage, though.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
analogika

Postby anotherscott » 09 May 2018, 04:01

True, but if you're only playing Mainstage sounds, you'd have no reason to switch Nord programs. But if you do end up in a situation where it matters, there's also a setting in the MIDI menu which will stop it from sending out MIDI Program Changes.
anotherscott

Postby Oly1200 » 09 May 2018, 06:33

Excellent, as we are limited in channels on our main mixer and use an 8 channel di box, of which I am only given channels
1 and 2, would
It be better to gets small 4 channel
Mixer to sit on the nord and put the nord say in 1&2 and the mainstage via a 1/8inch jack to
Two 1/4 inch jacks cable into channel 3&4.
That way I could just have a left and right going from the micro
Mixer to the desk? And also mute the channels I don’t want to sound?
Oly1200

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby analogika » 09 May 2018, 09:32

That sounds exactly right.
analogika

Return to Nord Stage Forum