Share your Programs/Patches for the Nord Electro Series (Nord Electro, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5 D/HP/SW versions)
Forum rules
Share your Programs/Patches for the Nord Electro Series : NE, NE2, NE3, NE4, NE5.
When creating a new topic, it's good to add a prefix in you title that mention one of these Electro version,
e.g., [NE4]: Program for Van Halen - Jump

Nord Sample Editor Question

Postby Kfals » 07 May 2018, 15:03

I am new to this so bear with me. When I add a sample in sample editor to the NORD 5and I need to clear memory space from my sample section, if I delete a sample program to make space, do I lose the sounds that make up the sample or do those instrument sounds stay on the machine and I am only deleting the program that uses the sound?

Thanks
Kfals

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Nord Sample Editor Question

Sponsor

Re: Nord Sample Editor Question

Postby Leo Castro » 07 May 2018, 15:16

Hi, you are trying to do 2 different things. If you need space to load samples in the sample section (measured in MB) you need to delete some samples. If what you need is a program memory because they are all full (be organs, pianos or samples with their eq, split and fx), there you need to erase a program (but not necessarily your samples). I hope I was clear. regards
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD
Leo Castro
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby ericL » 07 May 2018, 15:16

Whenever you delete something from the Sample library, any Programs that use that sample will no longer have it - I can't remember for the NE5, but on my NS2 the Sound Manager will indicate "unused" for some of the samples and that helps you decide which ones can be deleted without an impact to an existing program. There is also a way to show which programs are using the samples and then you can pick one that is not very often used.

For me, I just went through and deleted anything I did not think I'd need for my bands - which was inclusive of a lot of the more specialized orchestral sounds. You can always add them back if you find yourself missing something.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Kfals » 07 May 2018, 15:37

Leo Castro wrote:Hi, you are trying to do 2 different things. If you need space to load samples in the sample section (measured in MB) you need to delete some samples. If what you need is a program memory because they are all full (be organs, pianos or samples with their eq, split and fx), there you need to erase a program (but not necessarily your samples). I hope I was clear. regards

Thanks for the response. I created an audio sample into NORD sample editor and then connected my NORD 5. When I clicked "generate" or "download" (I forget which one) it said I couldn't add it to the instrument until I cleared space. Is that the correct way of adding the sample? Or do I used "sound manager" to add it after I create the sample? I couldn't find a way to "save" the sample in sample editor to somewhere on my lap top for later access in NORD sound manager.

Again, I am new to this machine and using the sound manager and sample editor. I am just trying to learn the best way to add a sample I created on my own and understand what exactly is happening to the pre loaded samples and programs when I move or delete them.
Kfals

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby maxpiano » 07 May 2018, 15:44

Kfals wrote:
Leo Castro wrote:Hi, you are trying to do 2 different things. If you need space to load samples in the sample section (measured in MB) you need to delete some samples. If what you need is a program memory because they are all full (be organs, pianos or samples with their eq, split and fx), there you need to erase a program (but not necessarily your samples). I hope I was clear. regards

Thanks for the response. I created an audio sample into NORD sample editor and then connected my NORD 5. When I clicked "generate" or "download" (I forget which one) it said I couldn't add it to the instrument until I cleared space. Is that the correct way of adding the sample? Or do I used "sound manager" to add it after I create the sample? I couldn't find a way to "save" the sample in sample editor to somewhere on my lap top for later access in NORD sound manager.

Again, I am new to this machine and using the sound manager and sample editor. I am just trying to learn the best way to add a sample I created on my own and understand what exactly is happening to the pre loaded samples and programs when I move or delete them.

You can also save the .nsmp on your computer for later use, using the “Generate only” option.

I think you should read the Nord Sample Editor manual carefully rather than going for “trial and error”; it is just a few pages and it will save you some time ;)

Of course, to download a new .nsmp to the NE5 Sample memory you need to have enough free space. With the Nord Sound Manager you can inspect it and find samples not used by any program which you may decide to delete to make space.
Last edited by maxpiano on 07 May 2018, 17:35, edited 5 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Kfals
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Leo Castro » 07 May 2018, 17:32

Kfals wrote:

As Maxpiano said, reading the editor manual is a good idea to start, and is very short too!
In the left/down corner of the editor you can see the empty space memory for samples in Mb. If your new sound is 5Mb and you have only 3Mb free, you will need to erase some samples to make room (at least 2 MB!)
Good luck and enjoy your Nord.
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD

The author Leo Castro was thanked by:
Kfals
Leo Castro
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Electro Programs