Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Nord Electro 7, what features do people want?

Postby anotherscott » 28 Apr 2018, 23:30

kgreig wrote:Mod wheel and pitch bend...should have been done on the 4D already....long overdue.

Pitch bend should be reasonably do-able... the Electro 5 recognizes pitch bend over MIDI, so it is capable of it. I don't know about the Electro 6... the 5 recognized it but in the "Upper Receive" mode that does not exist on the 6, so that remains to be seen.

Mod wheel would be trickier, first you'd have to ask yourself what you'd want the wheel to do. Usually, it is for controlling an LFO, but there is no LFO per se in the Electro, so what would you like a mod wheel to do? If your answer is that they should add an LFO as well, then you have the matter of additional controls and interface for LFO routing (i.e. which sounds/parameters to apply it to), LFO speed, LFO waveform. I guess they could hard-code it to be nothing more than a simple global vibrato... would still need an LFO, and I also wonder how many people would be content with merely that, or if they would consider such a limited mod wheel implementation to not be sufficient and worth adding to the board by itself.
anotherscott

Sponsor

Postby MYLES333 » 01 May 2018, 13:45

Does anyone know if the Electro 6d has aftertouch ability?
MYLES333

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby analogika » 01 May 2018, 14:00

MYLES333 wrote:Does anyone know if the Electro 6d has aftertouch ability?

It does not.

Please don’t hijack threads for a different subject.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby dmingay » 03 May 2018, 15:24

• Decent Clav sounds would be nice. They're definitely one of the NE 5's weak points.
  • After touch.
  • Different samples for different key velocities.
dmingay
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby anotherscott » 03 May 2018, 17:42

As I recently mentioned in another thread (and similar to what I said about a mod wheel), aftertouch by itself wouldn't do much on an Electro, without a bunch of other stuff as well. Aftertouch is usually used to trigger LFO modulation, and the Electro doesn't have any LFO modulation in it to trigger. It's also useful on a board used as a MIDI controller, but the Electro would need more than that to be a good MIDI controller choice. (Heck, the 6 has even less MIDI controller functionality than the 5 did.)
anotherscott

Postby KeyboardMadness » 27 May 2018, 20:10

Pitch Bend and mono glide options for lead samplers synths, and delay/tape echo with saturation.
KeyboardMadness

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby jacowannabe » 01 Jun 2018, 14:31

I want the setlists back! As it is now, I see no reason to get a 6 over my current 5D ... it feels like a downgrade, usage wise
jacowannabe

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jun 2018, 16:05

I think I will wait for NE8 ... or maybe 9 :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tasten-Bert » 01 Jun 2018, 19:07

In my personal opinion the electro series should always be the best Hammond clone on the market plus a very good piano. So I don't need additional features like after touch, pitch bend or mod wheel. Friends of these things should regard the Stage models as their instrument. Having said best Hammond clone means frequent soft- AND hardware improvements to always remain on top. Even Setlist or similar features could stay off - I use the iPad for this. And I think it's good to have a second keyboard in the rig for synth, strings, brass, pads etc. Personal view, but for me very nice to handle. Sunny regards from Germany.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby anotherscott » 01 Jun 2018, 21:38

jacowannabe wrote:I want the setlists back! As it is now, I see no reason to get a 6 over my current 5D ... it feels like a downgrade, usage wise

Most of what could do with setlists can be done in Organize mode. As I understand it, there are two big differences in terms of functionality:

1. Set Lists allowed you to have 200 additional ways of accessing sets of up to four of your Programs, without using up any more of your 400 Program locations. Each 4-Program Set List entry (Song) which took up one of the 200 Set List locations will now instead take up 4 of your Program locations in order to have the same functionality (i.e. to give you a set of 4 buttons that give you the 4 Programs you need for a given song). So you can conceivably run out of Program locations much more quickly. For example, re-using combinations of four existing programs 50 different ways (i.e. for 50 different songs) used to use up 50 Set List locations and no additional Program locations. Now that function would use up 200 of your 400 Program locations. So yeah, if you have lots of songs and/or lots of Programs, this is a step backwards. The trade-off is that it's simpler, losing the separate mode and the distinction between programs and pointers to those programs. So, for example, no longer do you have to worry about tweaking a sound, Saving it, and then finding out that your changes weren't saved, because you were in Set List mode (which, yeah, happened to me).

2. If you use the same sound in many songs, with Set List mode, you could make changes to that sound just once (by editing the Program), and every song that used that sound would automatically now be using your new, updated version of that sound. Now you'd have to copy your new sound into every location where you'd used that sound. OTOH, this now prevents the possibility that you alter a Program and find that it changed the sound a whole bunch of your other songs were using, if that's not what you wanted to do.

I agree it is a step back in functionality, though it is simpler. I think many Set List users will still be able to make the new system work to do what they need. But yeah, it's a trade-off. The other "downgrade" is that there is reduced MIDI functionality, i.e. you can no longer split the keyboard with an internal sound on bottom and an external sound (by itself, or layered) on top, which was something I found pretty handy.

OTOH, the E6 has a lot of functionality that the 5 did not, i.e. seamless sound transitions, extra sample memory, the return of some clav EQ options, numeric keypad mode for program selection. And there will probably be a benefit to the new .nsmp3 sample format at some point. But sure, if the E5 does what you need, there's no reason to upgrade.

Tasten-Bert wrote:In my personal opinion the electro series should always be the best Hammond clone on the market plus a very good piano. So I don't need additional features like after touch, pitch bend or mod wheel. Friends of these things should regard the Stage models as their instrument.

I agree... it's primarily an organ and piano, with some extras. It's not really designed to be a synth or a MIDI controller, that's what the Stage is for. Though to me, its organ and piano features are equal in importance, rather than placing piano second to organ. Or more specifically, the organ may be more important for the people buying the SW versions, and the piano may be more important for people buying the HP version!
Last edited by anotherscott on 01 Jun 2018, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
JXrays
anotherscott

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum