This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord C2D appropriate for me?

Postby old guy » 06 Dec 2013, 11:00

I always have had an organ, first a clapped out Baldwin 5 that I gutted and installed two Kawai K3 keyboards plus two K3 modules to gain a reasonable polyphony, then an Allen with a lot of maintenance problems, then a new Baldwin 4 grand for the kids who were taking to the piano. I still have the Baldwin and the Allen (kids long gone seeking their fortunes and each is an accomplished pianist).

Now my wife is reminding me that I always bought and maintained nice things for her and the kids -- now I should invest in myself something I can enjoy into my old age. So the idea of a Nord 2CD mounted in the case of the defunct Allen (or possibly the Hammond equivalent) might be an expedient conversion method. One distinct advantage is the likely possibility that we may need to move from our large home on acreage to something more appropriate for oldsters. In that case the C2D could just be removed from the huge Allen case and mounted on a small table.

The problem is the C2D's forte' is emulating the old Hammond B3, it appears like. Any demos I've come across are heavy into the B3 sounds, and slide by the pipe organ with little depth or interest. However my main interest would be in the pipe organ. The only local dealer deals in Yamaha and Casio, with only a couple of each on display. There are no dealers that have a C2D on display anywhere with reasonable distance. So rather than rule this option completely out and install a couple of MIDI controllers in the business end of the Allen with a laptop programmed by Hauptwerk, maybe my original plan has a bunch of merits I hadn't adequately considered.

Any comments?

old guy

The author old guy was thanked by:
Lindsay
old guy

Nord C2D appropriate for me?

Sponsor

Re: Nord C2D appropriate for me?

Postby mjbrands » 06 Dec 2013, 22:42

old guy wrote:There are no dealers that have a C2D on display anywhere with reasonable distance.

Is there maybe a shop selling the Nord Stage 2 or the Nord Electro 4 line of products? Sound-wise, the Stage 2 and especially the Electro 4 should be very similar to the C2D (and C2, especially with the new firmware). While the control surface on those two is not as extensive as the C2D (regarding organs), it should give you a good feel for the sound.
mjbrands

Postby Mr_-G- » 07 Dec 2013, 00:01

The Nord Stage 2 does not have pipe organ emulation, though. Only B3, Vox and Farfisa.
Of course you could load some pipe organ sample into the synth section, but you would be limited in polyphony to 18 voices.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby mjbrands » 07 Dec 2013, 00:55

Mr_-G- wrote:The Nord Stage 2 does not have pipe organ emulation, though. Only B3, Vox and Farfisa.

Oh, shoot! :mrgreen:
mjbrands

Postby Nordlicht » 07 Dec 2013, 08:41

Hi old guy,

if your main interest is the pipe organ you could also look for a second-hand Nord C2 (without the "D"). It has the same sounds and effect like in the newer C2D but there are no drawbars in the C2.
I think for playing the pipe organ, the "drawbuttons" of the C2 (they are just on/off-switches for the different stops of the pipe organ) are much easier and faster to use than pulling or pushing the "real" drawbars of the C2D.

You can listen to some sound samples of the C2D resp. C2 here:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_C2D and here http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_C2.

Good luck!
Nord Piano 5 + Nord Piano Monitors, Nord Stage 4 Compact + other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/spektralfarben
Nordlicht
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby Six-string-man » 07 Dec 2013, 14:41

Up until last year, Roland made a very nice sounding pipe organ called the C- 200 Classic. (I know, I know, it's not a Nord). Anyway, the pipe organ is excellent, and it also has Harpsichords, a Lute, a Celesta, and a (very average) piano and a pianoforte. No B3, Vox or Farfisa. No draw bars, it works on stops, as per a "real" organ. 76 keys, about 6 inches longer than an Electro IIRC.

They retailed for around UK £1200, so with the lower prices on your side of the pond, you could probably pick a good used one up for around $700 or $800 I would guess.

May be worth a look, unless you also need the B3 etc. It has built in speakers, but I ran mine through a pair of 6 inch powered monitors for extra volume, for home use only.

SSM
Six-string-man

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Lindsay » 01 May 2018, 05:14

Hi "old guy", what did you end up doing?
Lindsay

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Return to General Nord Forum