Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Pedal-down resonance on EPs. PLEASE!

Postby baekgaard » 28 Apr 2018, 21:03

None of the Electrics (Rhodes, Wurlis) have Sympathetic resonance (this is evident from the String Res LED being off). The Rhodes have Pedal noise, whereas the Wurlis doesn't (visible on the LED too). The Harpsichords have String Res but no pedal noise. None of the Digital or Layer pianos (in any version) have any of the two.

As for why they are called Large or Medium, I'm not sure. But maybe they have individual key samples some of them (I think we discussed this before last year, and I found some place in one of them where there was an audible difference in the underlying samples between adjacent keys).
Last edited by baekgaard on 28 Apr 2018, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby anotherscott » 28 Apr 2018, 22:45

Yeah, I do remember some conversation about it, now that you mention it. XL is the only size that arguably could sample each and every key. Other than that, the only difference Nord describes between S/M/L are the available resonances. So why they would mark an EP with an M or L if it didn't have resonances is impossible to discern.
anotherscott

Postby maxpiano » 29 Apr 2018, 06:48

baekgaard wrote:None of the Electrics (Rhodes, Wurlis) have Sympathetic resonance (this is evident from the String Res LED being off). The Rhodes have Pedal noise, whereas the Wurlis doesn't (visible on the LED too). The Harpsichords have String Res but no pedal noise. None of the Digital or Layer pianos (in any version) have any of the two.

As for why they are called Large or Medium, I'm not sure. But maybe they have individual key samples some of them (I think we discussed this before last year, and I found some place in one of them where there was an audible difference in the underlying samples between adjacent keys).

But here if I understand well we are not talking about String Resonance but Pedal Down resonance, which is always active on M/L/ L Grands/Uprights regardless the String Res led been off/on (if I am not mistaken, at least on Classic/EX i.e. Generation 1 it was like that). The String Res should only affect the Gen 2 features (“Sympathetic Resonance between keys held down simultaneously, regardless of the sustain pedal.”)

On the other hand the http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libr ... nformation page mentions only Grands and Uproghts in the explanation of the “sizes”, just and old text or the confirmation that the presence of “pedal down string resonance samples” applies to those categories only? Still a bit unclear to me,even if I tend to think the latter is the case.
Last edited by maxpiano on 29 Apr 2018, 06:56, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum