Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Electric piano sound for Latin Jazz

Postby kevin1687 » 25 Apr 2018, 23:56

Can anyone recommend an electric piano sound (and effect/reverb settings?) for latin jazz on Nord Piano 3?
Particularly for 'Morning' by Clare Fischer and 'Meditacao' by Antonio Carlos Jobim.
kevin1687

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Electric piano sound for Latin Jazz

Sponsor

Re: Electric piano sound for Latin Jazz

Postby PScooter63 » 26 Apr 2018, 05:11

The Fischer recording from 1965 used only an organ (the liner notes do not mention the model). Both manuals seem to have been used - the RH melody is registered very thinly, and has really prominent percussion, while the LH comping is more conventionally registered. The original recording also had next to nothing in the way of reverb added to the instrument.

I guess if I were to attempt this particular piece with a split, I'd use a pretty plain Rhodes EP (one with less prominent attack overtones) in the lower range, and find a suitable sample for the upper. I wonder if "Litely" from the Synth library could work in a pinch, or "Modern EP Layer". Neither are an exact fit, but arguably evocative of the original.

The Jobim doesn't have keyboard that I can find in any recordings from my streaming service, so I would just experiment. I'm not tied to any particular model - just whatever strikes me as agreeable at the time, for the particular piece.
Last edited by PScooter63 on 26 Apr 2018, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
kevin1687
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Rusty Mike » 26 Apr 2018, 14:28

I would look at either the Nefertiti Rhodes sample or EP2 MK I Suitcase. As PScooter63 said, Fischer used a pretty plain, old school sound.

With regard to effects, you'll need to tweak based on what sounds best through your sound system. I would suggest either the Twin or no amp sim, some compression, and a fairly dry reverb - room or stage. Use the EQ to knock the bass and treble down a bit. For the midrange, you could opt either for a slight reduction somewhere in the 250-400Hz range or a bump in the 1-1.5kHz area.

Once again, it's going to be based on your sound system, environment and ear.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
kevin1687
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby PScooter63 » 26 Apr 2018, 18:56

@ Rusty Mike, to digress a minute... when a wind player breaks out their flute on a latin/jazz/swing chart, I automatically reach for EP2. There's just something about that combination of timbres.

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
kevin1687
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Rusty Mike » 26 Apr 2018, 21:07

PScooter63 wrote:@ Rusty Mike, to digress a minute... when a wind player breaks out their flute on a latin/jazz/swing chart, I automatically reach for EP2. There's just something about that combination of timbres.

Yea me too. It's my go-to sound for pretty much any latin jazz tune, more so than AP. Goes very well with flute, flugelhorn and tenor sax. Nefertiti is just a bit rougher around the edges, but has a great voice in the solo range.

Here's a rough rehearsal recording of a Paquito De Rivera tune using EP2 on my Stage 2EX.

Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by 2 members, including:
kevin1687PScooter63
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby kevin1687 » 27 Apr 2018, 23:17

Thanks for your knowledgable advice guys.
I’m just starting to appreciate the variable options on the Nord compared
to the Korg SP200 I’ve had for many years.
Will enjoy trying out your suggestions.
Cheers,
kevin1687
kevin1687

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum