Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 4 introduced

Postby derrellpiper » 26 Apr 2018, 20:56

I don't get it either other than it's slightly better than a Piano 3 and probably costs the same for Clavia to produce, so it's a "free" upgrade for them, if you will. The problem, like you point out, is that is doesn't qualify as anything other than a slightly improved Piano 3, which is itself, not a very good stage piano in comparison with what's out there in 2018. At this point, I'd prefer a Korg SV-1 to the Stage, it has a very nice keybed and wonderful EP sounds, even if it's not graded hammer action, it's very nice to play on. I suppose DualKB and the two external MIDI panels do qualify for something, I'm not gigging with mine, so I'm essentially misusing it as a studio piano, so read these comments in that light. The sad thing is that I liked the Piano 3 better as a piano than I do the Stage 3. The keybed was a little better, the keys bounced more, but I thought the sample and piano memory was way too small and I ordered the Stage 3 88 the week it was announced hoping it would be as nice a piano as the Piano 3. Unfortunately, a few months in, I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that it is not.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 01 May 2018, 06:48, edited 4 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Sponsor

Postby jefsco » 28 Apr 2018, 19:17

does anyone know how they addressed the keyboard knock issue in the design of the piano 4 ?

jeff
jeff
jefsco

Postby derrellpiper » 28 Apr 2018, 21:41

We assume that's fixed because there was a specific S/N range of the Piano 3, not all here were in that range (I was and didn't have the problem thankfully).
Last edited by derrellpiper on 28 Apr 2018, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Postby jefsco » 01 May 2018, 15:41

not much action in the nord piano forum . . .

does the nord piano 4 do or have anything that the stage 3 88 doesn’t?

i know it has the triple sensor keyboard, and a slightly different action...
how different is the action?

thanks,
jeff

edit: hello, hello, hello, is there anybody out there . . .
Last edited by jefsco on 02 May 2018, 06:13, edited 2 times in total.
jeff
jefsco

Postby anotherscott » 29 Jun 2018, 15:10

For all the comments about not understanding why it doesn't have more memory, I suspect maxpiano got it right early on, they're probably repurposing the NE6 design/components. For those who say it's not worth upgrading from an NP3, NP3 owners are presumably not the target market. I think they just figured, hey, by using our NE6 design, we can improve the NP3 without raising its price. That's a good thing. As they say, not everything is about you. ;-)

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
baekgaardPScooter63
anotherscott

Postby jefsco » 29 Jun 2018, 16:16

btw american music & sound says the piano4 is supposed to start shipping “late summer”.
jeff
jefsco

Postby NordIOW » 29 Jun 2018, 17:22

I think they are insulting their "loyal" customers!

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk
NordIOW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 2

Postby kirsty » 29 Jun 2018, 23:56

anotherscott wrote:For all the comments about not understanding why it doesn't have more memory, I suspect maxpiano got it right early on, they're probably repurposing the NE6 design/components. For those who say it's not worth upgrading from an NP3, NP3 owners are presumably not the target market. I think they just figured, hey, by using our NE6 design, we can improve the NP3 without raising its price. That's a good thing. As they say, not everything is about you. ;-)

While you are right in some respects I also see the other side.

We are Nord lovers here and of course we want the company to progress and release new technology, but when you make the decision to spend top money on the latest instrument, I can understand someone feeling a little miffed that they go and release a newer one very shortly afterwards. Your Shiny Piano 3 is then no longer the newest model which affects kudos and also future resale value and desirability.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby derrellpiper » 30 Jun 2018, 00:41

It's nice that Nord saw that they could upgrade the Piano 3 to the 4 for essentially no engineering cost, yielding a better piano for the same price.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 30 Jun 2018, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.
derrellpiper

Postby jefsco » 30 Jun 2018, 03:44

derrellpiper wrote:It's nice that Nord saw that they could upgrade the Piano 3 to the 4 for essentially no engineering cost, yielding a better piano for the same price.

maybe not so nice that they did not reengineer the case in light of the knocking issue!?
felt or some other cushioning being the only thing standing in the way of a recurrence...
jeff
jefsco

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum