Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Using a neo vent ll

Postby damasp » 24 Apr 2018, 22:35

When using a neo ventalator ll with a Electro 3 (which has the older C1 organ engine), would there be a big difference in the organ sound quality as compared to the newer Electros which have the C2 organ engine, when using the vent? I assume the internal leslie sim would not be used and the vent is used instead.
Still on the fence about the $500 or so purchase of one.
Nord Electro 3 73, Casio PX-5s, Yamaha SY85, 2 QSC K8.2s, A&H ZED10 FX Mixer, ART TubeMP preamp
damasp

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Using a neo vent ll

Sponsor

Re: Using a neo vent ll

Postby anotherscott » 24 Apr 2018, 22:47

You're asking about Electro 3 with Vent compared to newer Electro without? There's no absolute measure of "sound quality" -- you'd might find that you prefer the rotary and/or overdrive effect of the Vent, but you might prefer some other aspect of the newer Electro (its basic tone, or its chorus/vibrato, or its percussion or key click, whatever), so which has the better "sound quality" depends on your preferences about these things and which aspects of the sound you find more important. Even just the presence of the drawbars can make a big difference in the "sound" of these instruments, if you choose to really make use of them while playing.
anotherscott

Postby damasp » 24 Apr 2018, 22:56

Thanks Scott. I guess It's all subjective. My question was comparing the the electro 3 with a vent, to a newer model, like Electro 5 with the vent.
Nord Electro 3 73, Casio PX-5s, Yamaha SY85, 2 QSC K8.2s, A&H ZED10 FX Mixer, ART TubeMP preamp
damasp

Postby Murphy » 25 Apr 2018, 05:52

It really is subjective -- that's for sure. They way I look at it, is that the Vent makes everything sound better. Not sure how, but it does. I find myself almost buying a Vent, a couple of times a year, but I never get one. And that's because I really like my Electro 5D and nearly everyone that listens to me play, swears they are hearing an old Hammond with Leslie -- as long as I have a stereo setup running in the room. I still have several old tube-Hammonds (and two Leslies) and since they all sound different from one another, I never get out of sorts when any particular keyboard I'm playing sounds a little different from a "benchmark" organ. The originals are different from one another too (that's my subjective opinion). Still, I bet the Vent with an E3 would sound great and if you like your E3, you might consider getting a Vent. There's definitely a case for that, because you could save money from not buying a new keyboard and the Vent would most likely work with any keyboard you might get, down the road. Eventually, some other new feature on a newer or different keyboard would most likely become critical to you. But if you delayed getting a new keyboard for a couple of years, you might be ahead financially, eventually have a newer/better keyboard and still have a Vent.

The author Murphy was thanked by:
damasp
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby hector space » 25 Apr 2018, 12:43

I'm an old Hammond boy! Back in the 70’s and 80’s I owned a wonderful beat up 1967 M102 ( as on Whitershade) and L122. It always sounded great in the studio but I really struggled to get a sound I liked on stage. (I also struggled with the weight!!) I also own an NE3 73 which after 7 years still sounds fab. It gave me a much better on stage sound than the 102/122 ever did! And that was using the NE3’s built in L145 sim. I think there's more balls to the NE3’s rotary sim. It certainly sounded way better than my NS2’s. Particularly the distortion. This is really sweet on the NE3. I'm fortunate to also own a Vent II which I love! Using it with the NE3 creates a different sound, it is not better. I think both are great! There is perhaps a touch more depth to the realism of the Vent but the throaty creaminess of the NE3’s rotary is great live. Also cause it's a 145 sim the bass comes over better. 8-)

The author hector space was thanked by:
damasp
hector space

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby anotherscott » 25 Apr 2018, 13:26

damasp wrote:My question was comparing the the electro 3 with a vent, to a newer model, like Electro 5 with the vent.

Ah, comparing if you put vents on both of them. That's different, but doesn't change that it will still be somewhat subjective. No matter what sonic improvements Nord claims in a new model, it seems there are always people who prefer the sounds of the older ones! I think Murphy's suggestion might make sense, though... put the Vent on the 3 for what might be the bigger improvement at the lower cost, and you'd just be one step ahead if and when you get a newer Electro, since you'd generally want to put the Vent on that as well.
anotherscott

Postby damasp » 25 Apr 2018, 20:19

All good points taken, thank you all. I am itching for a new keyboard, but I can't afford it right now. I wish the local music stores carried the vents to try them out. The vent ll may be a good way to go.
I bought a Lester K rotary pedal about a year ago and recently gave up using it. It sounds good in the overdrive settings but doesn't cut through the mix well in a more regular tone. I guess that's why I am a bit skeptical about the rotary pedals, although most people that own the vents seem to love them and feel the cost is justifiable. Even though I've tried adjusting and Equing the Lester K, it seems to cut out some of the higher frequencies, especially with playing solos. Also the percussion sounds become more mutated with the lester k as well.
damasp

Postby cgrafx » 25 Apr 2018, 21:45

If you buy a used Vent II and you don't like it, you can always turn around and sell it without taking much of a loss.

There are also a number of stores that will let you order and return it within a few days as long as you keep all the packaging intact.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
damasp
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby damasp » 25 Apr 2018, 23:00

That's a good idea cgrafx
damasp

Postby Fairstar » 26 Apr 2018, 02:48

.... I'd probably still be using my Vent 2 with an Electro 3 but quite simply cannot justify the slight improvement it may (arguably) give to my Electro 5D. The sim in the 5D, especially in "122 Close" mode has left my Vent 2 gathering dust. This is a huge factor in my keyboard decision making these days - simplifying (without compromising), and lightening my rig being a priority...
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Piano 5 /73, Nord Electro 5D/73, MODX 6, Casio PX-5S, K&M 18880/1/2, K&M 14047, Vent 2, Lester K, QSC K8.2 x2 ......

The author Fairstar was thanked by:
damasp
Fairstar

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum