This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Will HP-action last forever?

Postby Papamotif » 18 Apr 2018, 13:16

Hi Folks!

Yesterday I had the pleasure to try both NS3 HA88 and Nord Electro 6 HP, side by side.

As discussed in other threads the HA88 keys feel VERY light and undistinct. The HP-action on the Electro 6is much more to what it feels like playing a grand piano!
That´s at least my opinion! My NS2 HA76 feels somewhere in between.....

BUT!!!!!

Will the HP-action last or will the action become lighter after some years of playing??? Any experience?
Is it the same HP action on all Nords or has it developed during the years?
Papamotif
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Will HP-action last forever?

Sponsor

Re: Will HP-action last forever?

Postby maxpiano » 18 Apr 2018, 13:30

No action lasts "forever" and HA88/76 are the same keybed, so your different sensation may be due to different wear of the two keyboards you played.

The HP (Fatar TP100) has a different mechanical schema so also a different feeling, but in terms of durability I see it equal (if not less) to the HA (Fatar TP40)
Last edited by maxpiano on 18 Apr 2018, 13:34, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 18 Apr 2018, 13:30

Any keyboard will need to be refurbished after a few decades.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 18 Apr 2018, 13:56

Papamotif wrote:The HP-action on the Electro 6is much more to what it feels like playing a grand piano!
That´s at least my opinion!

That opinion may also vary based on which grand pianos you've played. They can vary a lot. And feeling more like a real grand piano isn't always a good thing, if it happens to feel like a real grand piano that you think sucks. ;-)
anotherscott

Postby kirsty » 18 Apr 2018, 16:05

maxpiano wrote:No action lasts "forever" and HA88/76 are the same keybed, so your different sensation may be due to different wear of the two keyboards you played.

The HP (Fatar TP100) has a different mechanical schema so also a different feeling, but in terms of durability I see it equal (if not less) to the HA (Fatar TP40)

He was comparing the HA88 to the HP76. They are not the same keybed. The 76 board hasnt been HA since the Stage2EX when it was changed to HP.

Re Durability, both HP Nords I have owned although having no issues havent had enough years of use for personal comment. A friend of mine however has an early Electro 3HP which he bought when they came out about 7 years or so ago and that has been gigged to death... still going strong. I guess nothing is built to last forever but things have a beauty of surprising us sometimes. My dads Clavinova is over 20 years old and that still plays great for its age. :D

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 18 Apr 2018, 16:14

kirsty wrote:
maxpiano wrote:No action lasts "forever" and HA88/76 are the same keybed, so your different sensation may be due to different wear of the two keyboards you played.

He was comparing the HA88 to the HP76. They are not the same keybed. The 76 board hasnt been HA since the Stage2EX when it was changed to HP.

I was referring to the OP saying "My NS2 HA76 feels somewhere in between....." ;)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby kirsty » 18 Apr 2018, 18:21

maxpiano wrote:
kirsty wrote:

I was referring to the OP saying "My NS2 HA76 feels somewhere in between....." ;)

You are right :D Fair enough then haha

That will teach me for reading threads when im half asleep :)

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Papamotif » 19 Apr 2018, 20:10

Thanks for your response!

My main question was how well the HP-keys lasted! The rest was just plain Nord-frustration! :)

Will probably stay with my NS2 HP 76 and wait for NS4!

All the best!!!
Papamotif
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby hector space » 21 Apr 2018, 13:43

The general view of the Fatar TP100 (as in Nord's HP series) is that it is not as durable as the Fatar TP40. The TP 40 is built like a tank, so unless you really hammer the keys you'll probably find the TP 100 is fine. I rather like the feel of the TP 100 but it didn't stand up to my playing.
The thing is care of your instrument counts for so much. Damage is guaranteed if you don't have a suitable case that ensures the keys can't flop around if the case goes in the van upside down.
The major keybed killer though is cigarette ash and general dust. Or if you're unlucky that pint that a friendly punter slopped into your baby!
Really really important to cover those keys when you're not playing at home or between sets. Otherwise the contacts will suffer.

The author hector space was thanked by:
jdwosh
hector space

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Ecaroh » 22 Apr 2018, 00:50

To original question "Will HP-action last forever?" I'd say that at least it won't keep its condition very well. In fact out-of-the box it was nicely very quiet but surprisingly soon it can became noisy and start to make unwanted "clonks". I had NS3 HP76 and just after few weeks of playing it started to make those sounds and I decided to cancel the deal. I wrote about it on this (and other) thread: nord-stage-forum-f3/nord-stage-3-hp76-keybed-feel-and-action-t14359.html
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Return to General Nord Forum