Headphone as MAIN OUT & iPad into 3.5mm monitor

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Rewjr
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Headphone as MAIN OUT & iPad into 3.5mm monitor

Post by Rewjr »

For years now I've used stock pad sounds played from iPad within Planning Center Music Stand as files attached to songs. Also for years I've been running a huge patched together rig: Casio piano, Roland midi expansion box, and iPad -> small Behringer 6 channel mixer with effects -> FOH Presonus SL 24.4.2

Anyone tried this? Any idea if it will work? Is the headphone out level controlled by MAIN level on NS2 ? I haven't been able to find a setting.
Last edited by Rewjr on 14 Apr 2018, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Headphone as MAIN OUT & iPad into 3.5mm monitor

Post by maxpiano »

Yes, it works and Master Volume also controls Headphone out (faster to try than to Q&A) ;)
Last edited by maxpiano on 14 Apr 2018, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
Nadroj
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Post by Nadroj »

I often play pad sounds from my phone through the monitor in and headphone out of the Nord. Works fine, but be aware there are some technical things that may cause issues if you take a single jack out from the headphone socket into a mono mix. Something to do with phasing or the headphone jack being stereo...I really don't know. Never had any problems yet, but i know there's a reason we don't normlly use the headphone socket as an output.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

Good point Nadroj, I was taking for granted that to use the headphone out and connect it to a mixer you need a Y (stereo to 2x mono) cable.
Rewjr
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Post by Rewjr »

I've decided to try this as a solution: http://www.radialeng.com/proav.php According to the schematic, it will pass signal from L, R, and 3.5 mm inputs and sum it all to L & R XLR out. I just have to determine how to best control the iPad volume. Looking for a MIDI solution that might also serve some other purposes, like loop recording etc.