Cheap additionnal sound module

Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Cheap additionnal sound module

Post by maxpiano »

If you can afford spending a little more, I suggest to look at the XV2020 rather than the JV1010, because it is more configurable from a MIDI perspective (up to 16 indipendent parts allowing also layer/split combinations on a single MIDI Channel)
sweelinck

Post by sweelinck »

nic cue wrote:Hello,

I’m looking for a good but cheap rack module with decent analog synth type sound to complete my NE4, just for fun at home. But in addition, and because NE 4 has not split between organ and piano section and sometimes I could need it in live situation, it would be nice if it had some decent B3 organ sounds.
I was thinking of E-MU Proteus 2000 or Roland JV1010, in a low price on second hand market (under 100€). What do you think of that, or alternatives ?
Thanks!

Regards
If you’ve yet to acquire it, I think your NE4 will dust either of those module’s B3 sounds or piano sounds, and their synth sounds may not hold up so well paired with high quality NE4 sounds. I would suggest getting a virtual analog synthesizer rather than a rompler if you want to add synth sounds, say an Akai Miniak. You can connect to it over midi, but the builtin 3-octave keyboard can be useful to play leads, or when developing a new sound for standalone testing.
Last edited by sweelinck on 11 Apr 2018, 03:20, edited 4 times in total.
Klangwerk
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Klangwerk »

:thumbup: I have the EMU Proteus 2000 and the B-3 Rom. The organ sounds are powerful and realy outstanding!

Helmuth
Racks: Roland XV-3080, Fantom XR, D-05 / JD-08
Keys: Nord Lead 3, Nord Stage 2, Nord Stage 3 compact / Yamaha MX49 / Korg Micro XL
Attic: DX-7 II FD / EX-5 R / Korg 05/RW / Roland JD-800 / JD-990 / E-MU Virtuoso, Proteus 2000, XK-6