All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

MIDI click tracks for band performances

Postby rca86 » 06 Mar 2017, 16:14

This isn't strictly a Nord question, but I'm wondering if anybody has any good solutions on how to set up a MIDI click track for a live band?

The requirements are basically:

- Drummer must be able to plug headphones into something
- Must be able to MIDI into a Boss loop pedal, to control tempo
- Can my Nord Stage 2 or Nord Lead 4's master click be controlled by external MIDI?
- Programmable tracks, with changes in tempo

Any ideas?

Thanks!
rca86

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Re: MIDI click tracks for band performances

Postby Quai34 » 07 Mar 2017, 00:13

Hi,
I'm interested about this as well. We play two songs that have a sample in it, The Who/Eminence Front and In the Air tonight/Phil Collins. Both samples were provided by members on this website, thanks again...Of course my drummer was asking a click but I didn't know how to do it. So, what I did on my Stage 2 is that I assigned the samples to Output 3&4, these outputs go to a separate little mixer (Art Audio, mini mixer, 3 stereo inputs and a separate volume for the headphone and the main output). Then, the output of the mini mixer goes into the main out of my Tascam LM-8st. The headphone output of the mini mixer goes to a headset for my drummers, he has only the samples in his headset, not the whole keys....and I can adjust the volume of the samples independently for my personal monitor. So, instead of a click, the drummer has the drum box in his headset....But for a click, I assume it could be done only by my Ipad through a Daw, I cannot see anyway to send a click directly from the Stage 2...
Last edited by Quai34 on 07 Mar 2017, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby charlesw » 14 Mar 2018, 16:07

I do this with Ableton Live. I have all of our click tracks and any other tracks we may be running are set up in Ableton. You can set different bpm's, time signature's, ect for each track. If you have tempo/signature changes you can just put those on a separate tracks. If you are also running other tracks/synths/backing/ect they will automatically sync to the bpm of what is in the master track. I also run midi out from my interface into a Pigtronix Echolution Pro delay pedal and it switches the bpm on the delay automatically when I change from one song/track to the next. I use Ableton as the master clock, so everything that is ran from the midi out of ableton will automatically sync up tempo. I also have midi running from Ableton to my keyboards, so when I change the song it will automatically change the patches I need on the keyboard...I actually just figured this out the other day and it is pretty sweet. I run a few different feeds. One from my keyboards, one from output 1 of my interface for any soft synths I'm running, and one from output 2 on my interface for the click track. We are lucky enough to have personal monitors with in ears, but the click can also be ran into an input of a mixer and sent through an aux send to a headphone amp. I have to do this from time to time depending on where I'm playing. Let me know if you have any questions regarding this setup and I'll be happy to help.
Attachments
IMG_20180304_080723.jpg
Ableton Screenshot
IMG_20180304_080723.jpg (5.72 MiB) Viewed 3226 times
charlesw

Postby Quai34 » 14 Mar 2018, 16:41

Any schematic, I'm a bit lost? Of any page in Ableton manual where they explain this?
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby charlesw » 15 Mar 2018, 15:18

I have band practice tonight, so I'll take some pics of my rig and hopefully explain this better with some diagrams.
charlesw

Postby LudovicVDP » 15 Mar 2018, 16:21

Hi

In one group I had in the past, I used Ableton as the master for everything (tempo, program changes to internal and external synths, effects, samples triggering, pre-recorded parts...)

What I did for the drummer:

Having more than one output on my soundcard, I dedicated one output for us (small mixer into which the drummer would plug his headphone ) and one for the PA.
I could then decide to which output I wanted to send each channel.
I had a channel with a drum rack where I would create basic drum loops to send to our output only and "voilĂ ". We had a click.
The loop would run at the desired tempo... which could be changed as shown above.

The nice thing about it is that your click can be cooked the way the drummer wants it to be.
You can load any sound you want in your drum rack and create the loop/rythme you want -> to the beats? the eighth notes?... Cowbell? Woodblock? Custom samples? ... you tell me!
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Flavio » 11 Apr 2018, 22:45

i use bandhelper (ipad) to control all the setlist, each song with its parameters bpm, song change on nord, etc ... everyone listen the same beep clock from BandHelper.
Last edited by Flavio on 11 Apr 2018, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Flavio

Postby gboneq1 » 14 Nov 2023, 03:55

Quai34 wrote:Hi,
I'm interested about this as well. We play two songs that have a sample in it, The Who/Eminence Front and In the Air tonight/Phil Collins. Both samples were provided by members on this website, thanks again...Of course my drummer was asking a click but I didn't know how to do it. So, what I did on my Stage 2 is that I assigned the samples to Output 3&4, these outputs go to a separate little mixer (Art Audio, mini mixer, 3 stereo inputs and a separate volume for the headphone and the main output). Then, the output of the mini mixer goes into the main out of my Tascam LM-8st. The headphone output of the mini mixer goes to a headset for my drummers, he has only the samples in his headset, not the whole keys....and I can adjust the volume of the samples independently for my personal monitor. So, instead of a click, the drummer has the drum box in his headset....But for a click, I assume it could be done only by my Ipad through a Daw, I cannot see anyway to send a click directly from the Stage 2...

Quai34: You said a sample of Eminence Front had been provided here but I have been unable to find. Could you please direct me to the sample? Thanks
gboneq1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby gboneq1 » 14 Nov 2023, 03:58

Can you supply the patch/sample for Eminence Front? Thanks
gboneq1

Postby FZiegler » 14 Nov 2023, 09:56

Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Return to Accessories and Amplification