Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 4 introduced

Postby maxpiano » 11 Apr 2018, 17:59

Jo Osantos1 wrote:Lot of people complaining about the Piano memory... i do have a nord Stage 3 and iam complaining about the Keybed, because it does not have triple sensor.

Well, for an instrument like the Nord Piano which (by its name) is focused on... pianos, it doesn't make sense for it to have less Piano memory than an "older" but different and general purpose (not necessarily Piano focused, I mean) model such as the Nord Stage 3.

But the reason for that looks pretty clear to me, if you just compare the NP4 specs with the NE6: they are probably using the same "HW platform", if not exactly the same board (or a closely derived one)

The lack of the third sensor of the NS3 is a relatively minor problem instead, in my opinion, given its more "general purpose" approach (though it would not hurt to have it there too, maybe it will come with NS3EX) :mrgreen:
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Apr 2018, 18:40, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Quai34 » 11 Apr 2018, 18:29

Rusty Mike wrote:I agree that it appears more like a "Piano 3EX" rather than brand new stuff. But if it comes in at the same price point as the Piano 3, then it's still all good.

It's good to see popular and useful features trickle into the entire lineup. I am however a bit surprised to not see the piano memory upgraded to 2GB though.

Looking at it from a marketing and competition standpoint, I'm sure Nord had to make decisions about the level of investment. I don't know where the Piano line falls, but I would have to guess that the Stage and Electro are the biggest sellers. The Piano is, at best, their third most popular product, but may not be. At the price point ($3000US), you have the Kawai MP11SE (arguably less portable at nearly twice the weight), Korg Grandstage and Roland RD2000 a bit below, The Kurzweil Forte 7 a bit more expensive and the Forte 88 much more expensive. Once you consider feature sets/capabilities, it seems to me the Grandstage is the true competition here. I'm going to speculate that the Korg outsells the Nord Piano 3, which leaves a pretty slim market for potential buyers.

Given that, critical business decisions need to be made about how much to invest in a low volume product. Most of the new features are trickle-down software enhancements that require minimal investment. The additional memory for the sample library may be trickle down as well, but I'm still bewildered as to why they would increase the sample memory over the piano memory.

Hi Mike,
So, for you, for 3000$, better buy an MP11SE if the weight is not an issue, right?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Mr_-G- » 11 Apr 2018, 20:16

I would have expected that for a mainly "piano" instrument, having the largest amount of memory possible to store the piano samples would be one of the most important features. I do not quite get it.
Maybe it is better business to keep bringing new models incrementally every so often than having a solid contender for a longer time? Perhaps this depends on the market saturation, but at these prices I am not sure people keep buying the next model all the time.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby dhbp-nord » 11 Apr 2018, 20:23

I am not buying the next model all the time - my NP2 will keep me happy for years to come. If I was going to upgrade (after hitting the lottery) it would be a Stage 3 anyhow.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Postby Rusty Mike » 11 Apr 2018, 20:36

Quai34 wrote:
Rusty Mike wrote:I agree that it appears more like a "Piano 3EX" rather than brand new stuff. But if it comes in at the same price point as the Piano 3, then it's still all good.

It's good to see popular and useful features trickle into the entire lineup. I am however a bit surprised to not see the piano memory upgraded to 2GB though.

Looking at it from a marketing and competition standpoint, I'm sure Nord had to make decisions about the level of investment. I don't know where the Piano line falls, but I would have to guess that the Stage and Electro are the biggest sellers. The Piano is, at best, their third most popular product, but may not be. At the price point ($3000US), you have the Kawai MP11SE (arguably less portable at nearly twice the weight), Korg Grandstage and Roland RD2000 a bit below, The Kurzweil Forte 7 a bit more expensive and the Forte 88 much more expensive. Once you consider feature sets/capabilities, it seems to me the Grandstage is the true competition here. I'm going to speculate that the Korg outsells the Nord Piano 3, which leaves a pretty slim market for potential buyers.

Given that, critical business decisions need to be made about how much to invest in a low volume product. Most of the new features are trickle-down software enhancements that require minimal investment. The additional memory for the sample library may be trickle down as well, but I'm still bewildered as to why they would increase the sample memory over the piano memory.

Hi Mike,
So, for you, for 3000$, better buy an MP11SE if the weight is not an issue, right?

I actually don't know how I would look at this. I already own a Roland RD-800 in my studio, so I have a nice sounding digital piano that is too heavy for my lazy butt to take out of the house :lol:

I also have a Pramberger baby grand in my living room, so my wife would kick me out if I suggest buying another piano.

I think of the Nord Piano more as a stage instrument than studio. The added features in the Piano 4 seemed directly geared for that.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby solmaster » 11 Apr 2018, 21:30

I agree with Rusty Mike here, that this is more like a Piano3EX. Doubt it has enough for Piano3 owners (me being one of them) to upgrade. I think Nord has definitely missed a trick not upping the memory to enable new owners to put a pile of XL piano samples into it.
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby MartinJ2EX » 11 Apr 2018, 21:55

nic cue wrote:I noted "creative new Piano Filters with dedicated EP Tines Mode". I'm curious to hear this on EP sound

I couldn’t find “EP tines Mode” anywhere :o :shock:
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby NordPH » 11 Apr 2018, 23:00

MartinJ2EX wrote:
nic cue wrote:I noted "creative new Piano Filters with dedicated EP Tines Mode". I'm curious to hear this on EP sound

Because It´s not there. He must have misread or gotten the wrong idea somehow..
NordPH
Patch Creator

Postby jazzfoto » 12 Apr 2018, 10:46

NordPH wrote:
MartinJ2EX wrote:

Because It´s not there. He must have misread or gotten the wrong idea somehow..

Actually, it seems that it was there yesterday! As you can see in this result of a google search. But when you open the page the text is gone...

jazzfoto

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Postby maxpiano » 12 Apr 2018, 11:01

Interesting... so maybe that EP Tines mode is actually there, in the DSP code, but "hidden" i.e. It is automatically applied when using the Piano Filter on Epiano1 category, but Nord does not want to make it explicit (?) or maybe not implemented yet(?)
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 Apr 2018, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum