Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

HEADPHONE GAIN

Postby podenco » 04 Apr 2018, 22:34

Hi,
I was wondering if it's possible to up the gain of headphones output. I hear more the drumsticks hitting the pads, than the actual sound (specially on hi hats). This decreases a lot my playing experience.
Hope someone could help.
Cheers,
ANtoni.
podenco

HEADPHONE GAIN

Sponsor

Re: HEADPHONE GAIN

Postby wartaler » 07 Apr 2018, 22:37

Hi Podenco,

Which Nord drum model do you have and what headphones are you using? When it was introduced it was said that the Nord drum 3p has improved headphones level over the Nord drum2. Then still it depends on the headphones you are using, and there are some settings that may help to increase the level,

Some thoughts /ideas:
-needless to say, open headphones will not help, some closed models reject sounds from the outside world better than others,

-low impedance (lower than 50 ohms or so) headphones do not seem to work well with the Nord drum2, at least that was my impression after reading some of the posts here, not sure about the 3p. Very high impedance headphones will (in general) also get you a lower sound output. My 250 ohms DT-770 headphones work great with my Nord drum2, the combination could destroy my ears if I crank up the output to max. At reasonable levels I still hear the sticks hitting the pads, depending a bit on the drum sound and my playing style, I can live with it.

-did you try different sticks, tip shapes and other types of wood?

Settings that might help:
-You can set the level of each channel (drum sound) - perhaps they are low, / you can increase them
-Try to experiment with sensitivity settings & dynamic curves of the pad(s) - maybe you want the Nord drum to be slightly more responsive

Be careful with your ears, enjoy playing!

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 09 Apr 2018, 19:42, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby podenco » 09 Apr 2018, 07:38

Hi Albert,
I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much for your tips! :thanks:
Finally I used a setup that worked for me. I solved it connecting the Nord Drum 3P to my audio interface (which has dedicated phones level), so I can adjust the desired level.
I also would love to use the melodic capabilities of the instrument (Bank C), so I would love to play those sounds with my MIDI keyboard. I've been able to but it only triggers one sound, but I can't play chords... It's possible to hit various notes simultaneously?
Thanks!
Antoni.
podenco

Postby wartaler » 09 Apr 2018, 20:00

Hi Antoni,

Additional amplification is another option I forgot to mention, great it’s working for you now!

Each channel (drum sound) is monophonic, so you at least have to copy the same sound to the other channels,
It is possible, but if you want to play any chord you’ll need some do a little trick, check this thread: nord-drum-forum-f27/synth-sounds-with-nd2-t7046.html

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 09 Apr 2018, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Return to Nord Drum Forum