Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead 2x Perform Programs Not Saving

Postby samtheon47 » 31 Mar 2018, 20:20

Hey Guys:

This is potentially user error, but having read my Lead 2x Manual several times and tried without success, I'm getting desperate.

Goal: I'm trying to Save 4 different synth presets to a single 'Performance' set so that I can switch between the sounds on the fly for an upcoming live show I have.

This is what the manual says:

Storing is done identically regardless if you are saving an edited Program or if you are saving from Manual
mode.
Saving a Program will permanently overwrite an existing Program. Be careful so that you don’t accidentally
erase a Program you’d like to keep! However, if you want to restore any of the original RAM factory
programs later on, they can be fetched as standard MIDI files at http://www.clavia.se and downloaded to
the Nord Lead 2X from a MIDI sequencer
1. Press the STORE button. The DISPLAY flashes.
2. Use the UP/DOWN buttons to select a Program number. As you scroll through the memory locations,
you can play and hear the Program currently shown in the DISPLAY. This prevents you from
overwriting a sound that you want to keep. Only Program numbers from 1-3.99 in internal memory
can be overwritten. If you try to save in higher Program numbers, nothing will happen.
3. If you change your mind at this point, press the Slot you want to return to or hold down SHIFT and
press the Manual (PERF. MODE) button to return to Manual Mode.
4. If you decide to go ahead with overwriting the existing Program, press STORE again. The DISPLAY
stops flashing to indicate the Program has been saved.

RECALLING A PERFORMANCE
When you recall a Performance, you replace the four current sounds in the slots A to D with the sounds
in the recalled Performance. You also recall other settings as listed in the table later in this chapter.
1. Enter Performance mode by pressing the PERF. MODE button. The DISPLAY shows the latest
selected Performance.
The Performances are organised in 4 Banks, each holding100 Performances. The Performances are
named alphabetically from A0-L9 in each Bank (the letters I and K are excluded because they’re hard
to show clearly in the DISPLAY). The Performances in the first Bank there are rewritable and the rest
are in ROM.

EDITING A PERFORMANCE
SELECTING PROGRAMS AS BASE FOR A PERFORMANCE
To replace a sound in a Performance, proceed as follows:
1. Hold down the desired Slot button (A to D). The DISPLAYS shows which Program was used for this
Slot, when the Performance was created. Note that you copy the Program to the Performance. This
means that you’re free to edit and change the original Program (in Program mode) afterwards
without affecting the Performance.

2. While holding down the SLOT button, select a Program for the Slot, just as you would in Program
mode. See page 12.
LAYERING AND EDITING
This is done just as in Program mode. The only thing to note is that when you save the Performance you
save the edited Program(s) “within” the Performance. The original Program that you used as a basis for
the Performance is not affected.
This is not true for Percussion Kits, which are only referenced in the Performances. Any editing done to
a Percussion Kit in Performance mode will affect the “original” Percussion Kit, and all references to it
in other Performances.
SHIFT FUNCTIONS
Again, these parameters are set just as in Program mode. Most of these parameters are also saved with the
Performance as indicated in the table on the next page.
SAVING A PERFORMANCE
To be able to save edited Performances, you have to save it to any of the first 100 Performance memory
locations (A.0-L.9).
1. Edit the Performance as desired.
2. Press the STORE button. The DISPLAY flashes.
3. Select one of the first 100 Performance memory locations, as described above.
4. If you change your mind at this point, press any of the SLOT buttons to abort.
5. If you decide to go ahead with overwriting the existing Performance, press STORE again. The DISPLAY
stops flashing to indicate that the Performance has been saved.
Programs in Performance Slots are actually saved complete with all parameter settings when the Performance
is saved. Percussion Kits, on the other hand, are only saved as references to existing Percussion Kits.

The above point means that there is no need to store the Programs separately. As soon as you save the
Performance, all Programs that it uses are also saved, inside the Performance. This also means that if you
later change any of your Programs, from Program mode, the Programs in the Performances are not affected
in any way.

I am attempting to Save four programs to Performance A0, which the manual states is re-writable. I am attempting to save Preset 63 to slot A, Preset 4.75 to Slot B, and potentially other sounds to Slot C and Slot D. I select Performance mod, I dial the nord into Performance A0, I then Hold down Slot A and dial it to Preset 63. It plays when tested. I then select slot B, and HOld it down and dial up preset 4.75. It plays when tested, and the two layer if desired. I then press STORE. The LCD number display flashes. I then Press Store Again, and it blinks to solid. Yet, if I switch performances to A1 for example and then back to A0, the selections are lost, and somehow Slot B has Preset 75, not 4.75.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the '75' in my performance the same sound and for some reason it's not showing 4.75? It seems like it, but I'm confused.

Any help would be most appreciated. Makes me think I should've gone with the A1 so I could just install patches via usb.
samtheon47

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Nord Lead 2x Perform Programs Not Saving

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead 2x Perform Programs Not Saving

Postby ricard » 01 Apr 2018, 00:35

Just to make it clear: when you save a Performance, you're actually copying the four constituent patches to the performance, not just storing four references to ordinary patches. Most synths behave in the latter way, i.e. a performance is just a reference to the actual sounds, often with a couple of meta parameters such as transpose and volume added. This means that once you've saved your performance, if you want to edit your sounds, you need to call up the performance to edit them, editing the original patches won't make any difference to the sounds in the performance, as they are now separate sounds. This is what the manual means when it says the patches are stored 'inside' the performance.

This also means that the patch numbers indicated in the performance for the different slots actually have no useful meaning other than as a reference to where the patches originated from. They could actually have been significantly altered since then and bear no resemblance to the original sound. The exception to this are the Drum patches (the ones starting with P, e.g. P3 or 3.P2), which, contrary to ordinary patches, are just stored as references in the performance.

So this means that the actual patch numbers shown don't really mean anything. I tried it on my 2X, and it seems like the actual patch was actually stored as expected, but the bank number was wrong upon calling up the performance. When I took a patch from bank 5, in the performance it was shown as bank 1.

I think this could be a result of the patch compatibility with the Nordlead 2. The Nordlead 2 could access four banks, one internal and three on the PCMCIA card. Looking at the performance dump format on page 112 in the manual, the 'bankselect' parameter is specified as having a minimum value of 0 and a maximum value of 3. So it could be that the NL2X in order to be compatible with the NL2 restricts the stored bank number to the same range.
Last edited by ricard on 01 Apr 2018, 00:36, edited 2 times in total.
ricard

Re: Nord Lead 2x Perform Programs Not Saving

Postby samtheon47 » 01 Apr 2018, 04:58

Hrmm, thanks. I think you're right, the numbers don't mean anything, as I've tested it a few times and it does indeed save the sound, with modifications from the preset. Thanks
samtheon47

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum