General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 3 and Apple Main Stage 3

Postby pjblues » 23 Mar 2018, 21:23

I purchased Main Stage 3 and tried to set up my Stage 3 via midi with it. I turned the "local" off on my board and hooked up the USB cable from the Stage 3 into my Apple computer. When I hit the keys on my Stage 3 I can hear the midi instrument via headphones through my computer but no sound is coming out of the Nord to my mains. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
pjblues

Stage 3 and Apple Main Stage 3

Sponsor

Re: Stage 3 and Apple Main Stage 3

Postby Macsaint777 » 23 Mar 2018, 21:52

Glad to help! The Nord does not have USB audio transmission, so you will have to have an audio interface going from the computer to some speakers or headphones. I suppose you could take the output of your computer and plug it into the monitor in on the back of the Nord, that would work as well but might cause a buzz since you are already connected to the same computer via USB. You really need an interface for your computer, to plug your Nord into and record, as well as get your Mac audio out to your speakers or Front Of House.

Let me know if you need help!

Ben Allen
Macsaint777

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby Berretje » 24 Mar 2018, 00:12

pjblues wrote:I purchased Main Stage 3 and tried to set up my Stage 3 via midi with it. I turned the "local" off on my board and hooked up the USB cable from the Stage 3 into my Apple computer. When I hit the keys on my Stage 3 I can hear the midi instrument via headphones through my computer but no sound is coming out of the Nord to my mains. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Maybe a different question: what do you want to achieve?
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby pjblues » 26 Mar 2018, 16:06

Thanks folks. I have a Apple Apogee hooked up with my Nord outputs 1 & 2 going into inputs 1 & 2 of the Apogee. Then Apogee outputs 1 & 2 going to powered speakers Is there something I have to configure on the Nord to get the sounds going to the speakers?

Thanks.
pjblues

Postby maxpiano » 26 Mar 2018, 16:37

You still have not explained if you are trying to hear the Nord Stage own sounds or Mainstage's.

Assuming it is the first case, on the Nord you need just to crank up the volume, unless you modified the default Output Routing, but then you have to configure a stereo channel strip (Audio) in Mainstage to send those Apogee's inputs to its outputs (or use the HW Monitoring feature of the audio card, btw it should be better you indicate exactly which model is it...)
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Mar 2018, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby stringtapper » 26 Mar 2018, 17:03

If you’re going the Local Off route then you will have to create an external instrument channel strip that has its audio inputs set to the inputs on Apogee that your Nord outputs are connected to, and have the channel strip’s midi inputs and outputs set to the Nord so that the Nord effectively triggers itself through the channel strip.
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12
stringtapper

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby pjblues » 28 Mar 2018, 20:44

Very good, this really can help. I have never used Main Stage 3 but everyone says it is the way to go.

I never thought about the channel strips, wow, that is enlightening and something I should have known.

Thanks folks for your help.
pjblues

Return to Nord Stage Forum