General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Usage of factory Chamberlin and Mellotron samples

Postby Ranelsonoh » 27 Dec 2018, 03:11

I purchased my first Nord Keyboard about 6 weeks ago and love it more and more as I learn the system. Now I’m about to add some purchased presets and add samples. To make room, I will start removing factory installed samples and pianos I like realistic sounding acoustic instruments strings, woodwinds, brass , or percussion, leads synths or pads.
For the life of me, I can not think why I would use the vintage Chamberlin or Mellotron sounds. Perhaps if I was doing a Beatles cover, but unless someone has a good tweak of the samples to breath life into them, they are all going to be removed to make room for others. Does anyone have a good use for those sounds? I have an open mind, and willing to learn. Please send me where you have used those sounds in your play.
Last edited by Ranelsonoh on 27 Dec 2018, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ranelsonoh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Usage of factory Chamberlin and Mellotron samples

Sponsor

Re: Usage of factory Chamberlin and Mellotron samples

Postby azwel » 27 Dec 2018, 03:51

Just to get a retro sound. mellotron flutes and strings will make your song sound like a late 60's 70's song. etc

The author azwel was thanked by:
Ranelsonoh
azwel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby 23skidoo » 27 Dec 2018, 04:29

I think you nailed it: those sounds bring a very specific nostalgia with them for many people. They are also useful in film scoring if you want to sound period-correct. Otherwise, treat them as any other sound / sample and use them if you like, replace if you don’t! For me, they have a few uses in that some music I like to play has elements of vintage horror and dramatic movie score which rely on that sense of time and place. But otherwise I could easily get by with a synth string patch and I’ve considered removing the mellotron samples from my stage 3 too. You can always add them back later!

The author 23skidoo was thanked by:
Ranelsonoh
23skidoo

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Postby anotherscott » 27 Dec 2018, 04:41

Ranelsonoh wrote:For the life of me, I can not think why I would use the vintage Chamberlin or Mellotron sounds. Perhaps if I was doing a Beatles cover, but unless someone has a good tweak of the samples to breath life into them, they are all going to be removed to make room for others. Does anyone have a good use for those sounds? I have an open mind, and willing to learn. Please send me where you have used those sounds in your play.

I don't know what they were off-hand, but I have heard somewhat recent hits with mellotron. As for the heritage, while Beatles used it a little, it's much more associated with bands like Moody Blues, Genesis, King Crimson, etc. But if you're doing original stuff and the sounds don't speak to you, there's no reason you should feel compelled to find a use for them. As for a song where I've used them, here's one... skip to the 36 minute mark

Watch on youtube.com

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
RanelsonohMr_-G-
anotherscott

Postby YvesEchoes » 27 Dec 2018, 10:40

Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by YvesEchoes on 27 Dec 2018, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.

The author YvesEchoes was thanked by:
Ranelsonoh
YvesEchoes
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Spider » 27 Dec 2018, 13:18

as other have mentioned, if you're playing any Genesis, Pink Floyd, some Beatles (Strawberry Fields, anybody?) and most of '60s-'70s pop-prog-rock, you will need mellotron sounds.
If not, I totally agree they're not really "realistic" strings-brasses etc. Modern samples blow them away, still they provide a unique flavour which can suit many tastes and/or musical situations. But if you don't like, no need to keep them cluttering precious memory space. You can always load them back if/when you need, that's the great thing about Nords!

The author Spider was thanked by:
Ranelsonoh
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby CountFosco » 27 Dec 2018, 16:44

anotherscott wrote: As for a song where I've used them, here's one... skip to the 36 minute mark

Prog quote of the century! I did listen though, nice playing, and nice to put a face to the name.

The author CountFosco was thanked by 2 members, including:
anotherscottTracii
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Murphy » 28 Dec 2018, 05:52

Slightly off topic- I looked at a new digital Mellotron closely and although I liked it a lot, I thought Nord's samples sounded very good in comparison. So I can't justify a new, digital Mellotron from a cost standpoint and I'm grateful for Nord's samples. I really did like the instrument though and I see new Mellotrons occasionally in live acts. Around where I live, I see it mostly with Alt-country, Americana and Indie bands.
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby evandrolino » 14 May 2019, 19:22

anotherscott wrote:
Ranelsonoh wrote:For the life of me, I can not think why I would use the vintage Chamberlin or Mellotron sounds. Perhaps if I was doing a Beatles cover, but unless someone has a good tweak of the samples to breath life into them, they are all going to be removed to make room for others. Does anyone have a good use for those sounds? I have an open mind, and willing to learn. Please send me where you have used those sounds in your play.

I don't know what they were off-hand, but I have heard somewhat recent hits with mellotron. As for the heritage, while Beatles used it a little, it's much more associated with bands like Moody Blues, Genesis, King Crimson, etc. But if you're doing original stuff and the sounds don't speak to you, there's no reason you should feel compelled to find a use for them. As for a song where I've used them, here's one... skip to the 36 minute mark

Watch on youtube.com

What string sample did you use in this first video?
evandrolino
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby anotherscott » 14 May 2019, 20:17

evandrolino wrote:What string sample did you use in this first video?

At what time within the 40 minute video?
As a rule, ensemble strings were from a Yamaha (one of the stock sounds you'd find in the MOX/MOXF/MODX etc.), mellotron was from Kurzweil (sorry ;-) ) and solo violin was, well, the real violin player.
anotherscott

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum