General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3-88 Suddenly dead

Postby RichardG » 09 Dec 2018, 18:00

Hi All,

Had a gig yesterday and during setup everything worked fine.
Then I needed to do a line-check, didn't change anything either NS3-wise or connection-wise and I didn't get *any* sound apart from a sort of 'thud' when I pressed 1 or more keys, regardless of organ/piano/synth.
Changed the song, selected another patch, selected a live slot of which I knew it made sound, checked volume(s) but saw on my mixer that no audio was produced.
After a bit of fiddling and getting my heartbeat from racing back to normal I switched off the unit and switched it on again.

After that everything just worked again and did so till the end of the gig.

Has anyone ever encountered this ?
It's probably not reproducible and there was nothing I did to provoke it somehow.
Have had NS 1, 2 and 3 and have never had something similar and know the machines quite well.

I did update to 1.60 before I went but checked ofcourse if everything worked and as said it also did after setting up my rig.
No midi-connections and only 1 footswitch for Leslie, so no interference from other devices.

Don't know what to tell Clavia unless this is more common with other NS3(88).
Then we can log a bug-report.
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

NS3-88 Suddenly dead

Sponsor

Re: NS3-88 Suddenly dead

Postby baekgaard » 09 Dec 2018, 18:45

Good you got it back up and running again - must have been a horrible experience to go through!

One thing that could cause this would be if you (or someone else, or the instrument itself) got into local off mode; then it will make no sound whatsoever. A reboot changes this back to local on mode. However, I don't see how this could have happened all by itself, so it's maybe not so likely (and doesn't really rhyme well with the instrument creating a "thud"), but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

It has, luckily, never happened to me...

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
RichardG
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby aureliopenna » 10 Dec 2018, 03:31

Hi,

Have a NS3 compact here. That happens to me too, under certain circunstances in studio, but never while in the Gig (thanks God) and yes, just turned off and on and sound came back again. Don't know why, but it's like the keyboard was freezed.
Than you reboot and everything is ok. Hope that is an OS solveable bug. Good Luck.

The author aureliopenna was thanked by:
RichardG
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby RichardG » 10 Dec 2018, 10:07

baekgaard wrote:must have been a horrible experience to go through!

Thanx for the empathy. :thumbup:
baekgaard wrote:One thing that could cause this would be if you (or someone else, or the instrument itself) got into local off mode; then it will make no sound whatsoever. A reboot changes this back to local on mode. However, I don't see how this could have happened all by itself, so it's maybe not so likely (and doesn't really rhyme well with the instrument creating a "thud"), but just thought I'd mention it anyway.

I thought about this too afterwards because it was mentioned in another thread too.
But I don't use MIDI on stage.
baekgaard wrote:It has, luckily, never happened to me...

Keep it that way ! ;)

The author RichardG was thanked by:
baekgaard
RichardG

Postby RichardG » 10 Dec 2018, 10:15

aureliopenna wrote:Hi,

Have a NS3 compact here. That happens to me too, under certain circunstances in studio, but never while in the Gig (thanks God) and yes, just turned off and on and sound came back again. Don't know why, but it's like the keyboard was freezed.
Than you reboot and everything is ok. Hope that is an OS solveable bug. Good Luck.

Hmmm, if you could somehow get to know these circumstances we might be able to point Clavia in a direction.
Im my case it didn't "freeze" in the sense that all the controls reacted (program change etc.) there just wasn't any audio.
Like Baekgaard said it was similar to Local Off.
If it ever happens again I'll check that setting right away because it could mean there's a bug like an unintended fall through a subroutine or overwriting of too much memory switching local to off.
RichardG

Postby LudovicVDP » 10 Dec 2018, 10:31

IT.JPG
IT.JPG (66.67 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

This never gets old.

Anyway: Freaking scary though...

The author LudovicVDP was thanked by:
-Toto-
LudovicVDP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Inside_Joke » 10 Dec 2018, 19:30

I have encountered this bug too. I squashed it by disabeling 'Seamless transitions'. It occurred when I was browsing complex sounds (2 piano's, 2 synths and one organ). The keyboard would go mute with some light clicks, like an asio soundcard going offline. I hope this problem will be adressed with an upcoming update, the problem started (I think) from the 1.60 update up. I have a NS3 88 btw
Last edited by Inside_Joke on 10 Dec 2018, 19:31, edited 2 times in total.
Inside_Joke
Patch Creator

Postby RichardG » 11 Dec 2018, 15:02

Lemon wrote:It occurred when I was browsing complex sounds (2 piano's, 2 synths and one organ).

Most of my sounds are 'complex' in that way. Lots of stacked synths or organ/synth and piano/synth.
Most if not all with splits and seamless transitions (I fully utilize the options here :P ).
I'll try to test tonite if I can recreate it somehow because there's still an issue with reorganizing songs (IMHO) which I want to figure out anyway and log with Clavia.
This revolves around the order in which the songs are shown and flip in reverse mode (ascending -> descending and v.v.) somehow when you're moving one around.
Last edited by RichardG on 11 Dec 2018, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
RichardG

Postby RichardG » 11 Dec 2018, 23:13

Well, I've tried but it kept on working/making sound.
So unless someone can recreate the 'soundless' effect this thread ends here... :wtf:

Wrt to organizing songs it must be me. Somehow the dial feels counter-intuitive when I'm reorganizing the list.
Dialing anti-clockwise brings you to the top of the list which somehow feels reversed to what I'm expecting.
RichardG

Postby Pasquino » 13 Dec 2018, 12:57

I have a NS3 compact and that happens to me too. It's like the keyboard is freezed.
Than I reboot and everything is ok.
Pasquino

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum