How do you organize your sounds?

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
anotherscott

Re: Newbie: Using the Stage 2 live

Post by anotherscott »

bdodds wrote:I don't know of an easy way to do that other than copying one of the programs to a new program, and editting that new program's other slot to mimic the other desired slot.
Yeah, I think you're right. That's one feature I would really like to see Nord add... the ability to "lock" a slot so its sound doesn't change when you pick the next program. There are numerous times I've found where that would have come in handy... especially when driving Slot A from the Nord's internal keyboard and Slot B from some other external keyboard over MIDI. And this is another great example, if it could be used to combine the Slot A sound from one program with the Slot B sound from another, in order to save that combination as a third Program. It would really be a very useful feature.
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author anotherscott for the post:
GuyManning
FunKey
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by FunKey »

You can actually copy the contents of any slot to the currently active slot, by pressing and holding the slot button while browsing through the programs with the bank, page, and program buttons as well as the value dial. (In contrast to normal program selection, the value dial scrolls through both slots of each program.)

It's on page 15 in the manual ("Program Section"), but the description is very short.
Last edited by FunKey on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author FunKey for the post (total 2):
Hanon_CTS, GuyManning
bdodds
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by bdodds »

oh right! there are tons of little overloaded features on different buttons, it's difficult to keep them all at the ready..

One of the reasons I love Nord keyboards is because of this - things like this (though I forget them from time to time) are very intuitive if you've got a technical mind, and keyboard players tend to have more of a technical bent to begin with, so it's a great marriage.
Last edited by bdodds on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
clavia ddrum4
nord lead rack 2
nord electro 73 (sold!)
nord stage classic 88 (sold!)
nord electro 3 73 (sold!)
nord stage 2 compact
Rob Yale
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Nord Stage 2 live

Post by Rob Yale »

I'm wondering what people do to make using the NS2 easier to use live. The programs don't seem too easy to access on the fly, at least in my inexperienced view. How do you organize patches to get through a setlist?

Thanks,

Rob
Last edited by Rob Yale on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Re: Nord Stage 2 live

Post by anotherscott »

check the thread at http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage ... t1569.html

and a recent one only a few below yours at the moment, http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-stage ... t1977.html
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Good point. Just merged the two topics!
mtier0067
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Re: How do you organize your sounds?

Post by mtier0067 »

I organized the banks by main piano section instrument. Bank a was acoustic, b was Rhodes, c Wurlitzer and dx, and d was clav and the deeper pages on d was my custom song patches. I could get to anything I wanted within two button pushes. Press bank a press program 2 while all on page 1 and I would have a piano/strings patch. Press bank d program 5 and I would have a dirty clav and organ patch.

With the new stage 3, I’m interested to see how people are choosing to set up their boards for live use. How do you organize it to have the least amount of buttons to push between patches while having access to something similar to above. I can add more detail to my description above but it seems that the lack of bank buttons is going to be a roadblock to set it up the same way I did my ns2. That’s not the end of the world for me as I realize that there are probably better ways to do it. I just ordered my ns3 compact on Friday! Should be here in a few days so I’d like to get a head start on this before it arrives so I can program it correctly from the start. Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts!

Mookie
Last edited by mtier0067 on 12 Feb 2018, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
@ Home
'52 Hammond C2 w Trek Perc
'62 Leslie 145 w/ Speed Control
'76 MKI Rhodes Suitcase 73
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
Custom Stage Enclosure/Stand
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

The loss of the Bank buttons is a real loss in the NS2-->NS3 transition. It's not nearly as easy to access a good number of your favorite sounds on the fly. I'm thinking this really calls for using a smartphone/tablet to aid patch selection. You could use a program like Set List Maker.
mtier0067
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Post by mtier0067 »

I use set list maker for really complex shows or when the set is defined in a way that it doesn’t make sense to navigate with the buttons. I think I may have to add a few button presses to my bread and butter patch selection... seems like the pages 1-4 could function like the banks so would have to press page up or down a few times. Why would they get rid of the bank buttons!!! Seems like they solved a problem and created another.
@ Home
'52 Hammond C2 w Trek Perc
'62 Leslie 145 w/ Speed Control
'76 MKI Rhodes Suitcase 73
Samick Studio Upright

Live
Stage 2 73 SW
Studiologic Acuna 73
Moog Grandmother
Leslie 3300
Leslie LS2215
Custom Stage Enclosure/Stand