General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: B3/leslie types - Can you hear the difference

Postby analogika » 26 Oct 2017, 16:19

There's 5 Analog Devices ADSP-21489 SHARC chips in there, plus one additional one with a similar size but different markings (can't make them out due to the bar code sticker covering it — I believe it's a "test passed" sticker).
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
baekgaard
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby baekgaard » 26 Oct 2017, 16:57

analogika wrote:There's 5 Analog Devices ADSP-21489 SHARC chips in there, plus one additional one with a similar size but different markings (can't make them out due to the bar code sticker covering it — I believe it's a "test passed" sticker).

Thanks for checking! That sounds like it's more a DSP based design then than a FPGA based one (which is what I would have expected also, for a product that can be produced in higher quantities -- FPGA are more expensive typically).

Apologies for the interruption, and we're now back to your regular program :-)
Last edited by baekgaard on 26 Oct 2017, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Murphy » 26 Oct 2017, 17:35

Bet backgaard a cup off coffee (payable at some future point in time) it's on an FPGA chip (I hope so anyway)! Is the NE5D on an FPGA chip? Can you show me what an FPGA chip looks like? I'll open up my NE5D, it's off of warranty.
Murphy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby baekgaard » 26 Oct 2017, 18:05

I guess the coffee might be cold by the time it crosses the atlantic, but nevertheless :-)

The chips themselves are probably similar just looking from the outside, but the marking on the chips on the board tell what they are. The Analog Devices ADSP-21489 SHARC are all DSPs, not FPGAs.

For those not knowing the difference, here's a somewhat high-level explanation of the differences: A DSP is sort of a special-purpose microprocessor that excel in numerical and possibly also parallel calculations, and typically has a fixed instruction set that tells it what it should do. A FPGA is more like a large number of logic circuits (gates) that you can then connect, typically by describing some functionality using VHDL. This is then converted into a logic circuitry by connecting the gates, and then flashed to the chip itself. For really large volumes, you typically do a custom integrated IC (ASIC) instead (from the same VHDL), but the start-up costs are extremely high. A FPGA can give you similar performance as an ASIC, but the marginal pr. unit price is much higher. You buy standard chips, and program each chip individually with your layout. A DSP is a standard component that is just executing some program you download to it. You can create a DSP with an FPGA, but it will typically be more expensive than using a normal off-the-shelves DSP.
Last edited by baekgaard on 26 Oct 2017, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard

Postby analogika » 26 Oct 2017, 18:29

So does that have any bearing on how it may or may not be possible to extend the architecture of the NS3, adding options and/or additional models?
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Obwanz » 26 Oct 2017, 18:31

What does all this mean regarding fixing the C2D engine so it’s more like a C2D, electro 5, etc?
Last edited by Obwanz on 26 Oct 2017, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Obwanz

(Patch Creator)

Current keys: Hammond B2 w Leslie 122, Kronos 88, Hammond XK3 w Leslie 21, Oberheim OB-8,
MiniMoog, Kurzweil K2500
Current Nord gear: Stage 3 HA 88
Obwanz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby baekgaard » 26 Oct 2017, 19:21

We don't know for sure, but if we assume the NS3 uses a DSP based architecture, then changes will be easier than if it would have been an FPGA based one. It is, however, usually "more tricky" to make changes to DSP code than to "conventional" software.

In any case, we don't know what the bottleneck is in terms of implementing changes: Is the current functionality limited wrt processing power, memory, internal bandwidth or something else? We may guess, but we don't know.

Had it been an FPGA based architecture, it would likely have been more difficult to do any (substantial) changes -- but if the different boards share the same underlying modular and configurable architecture, then changes to parameters of the model could be more easy to implement.

I'm not going to give my own guess, as there is too little information at this point :-)

The author baekgaard was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikaObwanz
baekgaard

Postby Obwanz » 26 Oct 2017, 19:44

Well, I at least hope they are aware of the organ problems, and are working on it.
Obwanz

(Patch Creator)

Current keys: Hammond B2 w Leslie 122, Kronos 88, Hammond XK3 w Leslie 21, Oberheim OB-8,
MiniMoog, Kurzweil K2500
Current Nord gear: Stage 3 HA 88

The author Obwanz was thanked by:
baekgaard
Obwanz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby DJKeys » 26 Oct 2017, 21:07

As a side note, I have found there is a distinct difference between the 122 and 122 Close. The 122 Close setting interacts much more with the Reverb than the 122, and I prefer it-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby Gambold » 26 Oct 2017, 21:50

>I have found there is a distinct difference between the 122 and 122 Close.<

Well, that makes one of you...your audience won't know the difference, ever. Neither will your band-mates, although they might try to be nice and say they do - when they are not asking you to ape some synth part from the latest Walk the Moon single.

Reminds me when Olivia de Havilland asked her producer why she was wearing period underwear on the set of "Gone With The Wind" when there's no way the movie audience would know it. "Ah, but YOU will know it," he replied.

Revel in your Leslies. And don't take it personally - no-one in the audience hears the difference between all those Rhodes models either.
Last edited by Gambold on 26 Oct 2017, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Gambold

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum