Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord grand

Postby baekgaard » 07 Jul 2019, 00:19

Rychubil wrote:Saying quickly:
Over all look is a premium class! Beauty mahogany top impressed me much.
Keyboard much better than in NP4. Better touch, better action, triple sensor works great.
One disappointment - no White Grand sample on the board. Royal grand 3D was on the board.
That last part of easy to fix, loading the White Grand will take you only some minutes :-)
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Rychubil » 07 Jul 2019, 03:13

baekgaard wrote:
Keyboard much better than in NP4. Better touch, better action, triple sensor works great.
One disappointment - no White Grand sample on the board. Royal grand 3D was on the board.
That last part of easy to fix, loading the White Grand will take you only some minutes :-)

Yes, I know nord sound manager which is very easy but my visit in GuitarGuitar store was completely unexpected and I did't have my laptop with myrself. I was travelling on holiday :)
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby cphollis » 07 Jul 2019, 14:08

Thanks for this. The "keyboard much better than NP4" observation means that I'll probably get one before too long.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Quai34 » 07 Jul 2019, 23:14

SteveNordP3 wrote:
Rychubil wrote:Piano Man Chuck presents and comparing Nord grand vs Nord piano 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1soh9bgDM

Dagnabbit! I had ZERO intention of event thinking about Nord Grand now I’m lusting after it! Curse you PianoMan Chuck! :lol:

Well, I know that, after he did a test of the Kawai MP11SE, Imtalked to him via pm and yes, the lust was there....
I'm sure if I watch it, I will have two piano on my list, the Kawai for home use and the Grand for Stage use!!!!! Damn it, you are right :D :D
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Quai34 » 07 Jul 2019, 23:16

HwyStar wrote:PMC is in love with it. You can tell.

I think after a year of looking for something to replace my MP11, that I have found the one. I am so sick and tired of the original MP11 samples I could spit! I may consider keeping the MP11 for VST work but it may go bye-bye too.

You beat me to sharing PMC’s video. Thanks, Richie!

So, for,you the MP11 Keybed doesn't compensate enough for the samples of the Kawai? Are they the same in the SE? And why you don't control Nord samples form the MP11?
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby PianoManChuck » 08 Jul 2019, 00:56

SteveNordP3 wrote:
Rychubil wrote:Piano Man Chuck presents and comparing Nord grand vs Nord piano 4:

Dagnabbit! I had ZERO intention of event thinking about Nord Grand now I’m lusting after it! Curse you PianoMan Chuck! :lol:

Glad to oblige!! :thumbup:
Product Reviewer
Authorized Reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, iLoud, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount
http://www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby SteveNordP3 » 08 Jul 2019, 04:12

PianoManChuck wrote:
SteveNordP3 wrote:

Glad to oblige!! :thumbup:

I’m sure my wife thanks you too..... :lol:

That was a great video. Looks like you truly loved it. Enjoy!
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Rychubil » 08 Jul 2019, 18:50

Next presentations.
Bonners:
https://youtu.be/UBqA8eYzPLc
And another private one:
https://youtu.be/LwvGYXeYJb4
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Postby Ecaroh » 08 Jul 2019, 19:54

Hi all!

I have been test-driving new Grand for about a week now.

Here’s my quick review so far:

Keyboard action:
Obviously best piano action from Nord (well, from Kawai) but to be honest it was a little disappointment. I have acoustic Kawai and also Kawai CS-7 (with wooden Grand Feel action). Maybe I was expecting too much... But for sure it’s very good, expressive and for sure I can live with it. It's important that you put it on a solid stand, it affects a lot to playing feeling. (To me it's tragic but funny that in so many music shops they try to sell quality pianos on cheap X-stands...)

Few things to consider:
Effects like Delay do not sync to MIDI clock if I am right. To some this is maybe a minor drawback.

You cannot put sample synth to local off and play/control it with external keyboard on a special MIDI channel. To me this is a shame because it would have been great to put my Arturia keystep over NGs tablelike surface. NG is cabable to play these two (piano+synth) together, so it’s stupid that you can’t play one externally.

You cannot filter sample synth with control pedal. IMO this is making it very limited as a synth and it definitely should be there.

There’s no external panel for external MIDI gear.

These limitatios are of course with all those related projects like Nord Piano and Electro (if I remember correct). I know there are people disagreeing with me for example about lack of external panel, but this is my opinion. However, for me these limitations were not crucial for purchase cause I needed a Piano for my studio not for stage usage. For that I have NS3.
Last edited by Ecaroh on 08 Jul 2019, 20:53, edited 5 times in total.

The author Ecaroh was thanked by:
Spider
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Rychubil » 08 Jul 2019, 23:56

I also to add my houble 5 cents.

My visit in the store lasted roughly 20 minutes for three reasons. 1 - I was in Glasgow traveling to the airport on holiday with my family, 2 - there, in the store were a lot of people, which resulted a huge noise of talks and sounds of other instruments and 3 - no White Grand sample on Nord Grand, which I missed a complete feeling of this instrument.
So, my testing of Nord Grand IMO is incomplete and insufficient, but it's always something.

Generally, the Nord Grand from the seat point does't look like a huge block, but again from an aesthetic point of view, it looks like a premium stage piano - not a flat board like the rest of nord instruments. Especially the upper red surface of the instrument looks beautiful.

Desktop of NG is the same simple as a Nord piano 4. The difference only is the control panel is oblique and panel buttons are quite close to the keyboard, which can actually results in accidental pressing of them, which actually also happened me twice while playing, so the key lock button is really desired in this instrument.

The keyboard has a very pleasant Ivory Touch imitation effect, without exaggerated structure and makes a very pleasant impression. The keyboard works almost quietly like in a digital pianos in full cabinet, which is due to the built-in velvet tape dampening the noise of keys, which has never been available before in any nord gears. The keyboard action in weight, IMO is medium enough (not too light, not too heavy), it has a noticeable escapement but the fast runs are not a problem.
Who knows Kawai ES8, MP7SE or CN27/37 will be know how this keyboard works. The third keyboard sensor has a deep range of operation, which results in it's a high usability.

Comparing to other keyboards - apart from NG, there were in the store also Nord Piano 4 and Yamaha CP88.
NP4 keyboard was clearly lighter than NG and the feeling of escapement was definitely less noticeable in NP4 than in the NG, not to mention the touch of plastic surface of NP4 keyboard. Yamaha CP88 keyboard also with Ivory Touch was slightly heavier. The difference in action between CP88 and NG is more about the character of the action. Personally, I don't like Yamahas keys action.

I am not writing anything about the sound, because on the board of the Nord Grand, were samples which every nord user know well (Royal Grand 3D, Amber Upright, etc.).

I need to try and play on NG at least once more time again but in full silence and also with included the White Grand sample on the board.

P.S. This week I will be trying Kawai ES8 and probably MP7SE. After 20th of July I will try Korg Grandstage.
Last edited by Rychubil on 08 Jul 2019, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

The author Rychubil was thanked by:
Spider
Rychubil

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum