Rack 2X Slot (Layer)

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
jro_sf
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Rack 2X Slot (Layer)

Post by jro_sf »

I know you have been over this before but please summarize how the Rack 2X Slots (Layer) does or does not work:

If I have all Rack 2X slots set to Midi Channel 1, and when only one slot light is active, all slots play when I hit a key (on my NS2 in Extern set to Midi Channel 1).

If I have only 1 Rack 2X slot set to Channel 1 and the others off, then I can get just that slot to play- But I want to turn on all 4 layer when I want.

If I hit the "Trig" button, each slot acts like you think it would responding only to the active lit slot or slots.

Can the Rack 2X slots/layer behave like one thinks it should like a Lead 2X but using a separate midi controller?

(Much thanks in advance!)
WoutBlommers
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Re: Rack 2X Slot (Layer)

Post by WoutBlommers »

There is a important feature in the Lead: each Slot always react to it's Midi channel, active or not, with the exception when set the synth into 'Power off'! ;)
Active Slot means on a NordLead (not the Rack) the Slot will react to the keys, which means also the trigg function. Flashing means that Slot will react to the Panel, which means the knobs.
An extern controller is just Midi, so set to 1 all channel 1 Slots will react.
Using Performance mode means each Performance has its own Midi configuration, so when you only need one Slot, save that slot to Midi channel 1 and the other 3 in Midi off. When needed save more slots in another Performance to channel 1.

I hope this helps...
BTW a wonderfull combination: Stage and NordRack.

And also be glad the 2X doesn't have the 'leftmost Slot Midi priority'. That was realy confusing. Athough it is still in the Manual...
Last edited by WoutBlommers on 16 Feb 2013, 09:31, edited 2 times in total.
jro_sf

Post by jro_sf »

Ok. Understood (I think). I want to play drum samples on the Rack 2X from Ableton.

I have my NS2 hooked up to Ableton directly from my PC using USB1. Works great.

I have my Rack hooked up to my NS2 with a Midi cable. Works great. (I can even get NS2 Extern slots A and B (Midi 16 and 15) to play Slots A and B (Midi 16 and 15) on the Rack 2X using. C &D are off -- hurray).

But can i set up the system via USB to play Rack Slot C (Midi 14) through USB via Midi Out of the NS2?

In other words, I want Ableton Midi Channel 14 to go through the NS2 via USB to the Rack Slot C on Midi Channel 14. Make sense and is it possible?
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

You could try turning on MIDI Soft Thru (see manual), but if I'd have to guess, I'd say you can't use the NS2 in that way. Should be easy enough to test though.

Edit: even if it works, you cannot send a clock to the 2X that way; it seems Soft Thru only sends MIDI note on/off and probably stuff like pitchbend, MIDI CC (such as the modwheel).
Last edited by mjbrands on 17 Feb 2013, 17:37, edited 2 times in total.
jro_sf

Post by jro_sf »

Yeah. I should have mentioned I tried the Soft Thru. The Rack never got the messages even with the USB1 for the NS2 and the Rack on Slot A/B on Midi 16/15... hmmmm. Shucks. Might me time to sell the Rack and buy a Wave (if it supports USB).

Or I could set up the rack through the USB Audio Interface (Via midi) into the computer to sequence from Ableton but then I loose the ability to use the Extern sections which is way cool.

Seems like Nord/Clavia should update the driver.

Thanks.
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

jro_sf wrote:Might me time to sell the Rack and buy a Wave (if it supports USB).
The Wave also doesn't do MIDI over USB. I don't know if this is what you meant, but you cannot connect the Stage via USB to another keyboard. A) the cable doesn't exist and B) you'd be trying to connect two client devices together, where you'd need a host (such as a computer) and a client.

That said, some keyboards can function both as a host and as a client (over different USB ports). The Roland Fantom G is an example of that; you can connect a mouse and/or USB stick or harddrive to it. I'm pretty sure however that it wouldn't do anything if you connected your Stage to it. On something (new) like the Korg Kronos it might work, but I very much doubt it.
jro_sf wrote:... but then I loose the ability to use the Extern sections which is way cool.
Why would you loose the Extern sections? I'm pretty sure you can just combine MIDI over both USB and MIDI cables; you could set the Stage to send its global channel over USB1 (so you can use it as a controller for Ableton) while you receive MIDI for the Synth sections (for example) over regular MIDI.
Last edited by mjbrands on 19 Feb 2013, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.