Nord Lead 2X Restore Factory Presets *SOLVED*

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
iluvchiclets

Re: Nord Lead 2X Restore Factory Presets

Post by iluvchiclets »

I figured it out.

While looking up on the internet "restore factory presets Lead 2X", I found a lot of old forum topics on an old forum called "electro-music" which appears to be an early (now-defunct) Nord user group.

There was a very helpful person active back then (user name Wout Blommers) who mentioned more than once to "set the Global Midi channel to 16"
If I'm understanding correctly, the backups on the Nord site have been backed-up with the sysex on Midi channel 16.

I changed my Lead 2X Global Midi channel to 16, and voila! The sysex transferred perfectly :)

So, in summary,

- In Midi-Ox, set Low Level Input buffers (if doing a bulk dump) to a low size and number such as 100
- In Midi-Ox, set Low Level Output buffers to a low size and number such as 100
- uncheck "Auto-adjust buffers if necessary"
- set both Delay between buffers at 300 milliseconds, and checkmark "delay After F7"
(all of this may be a bit extreme, but it worked for me)
- set your NORD LEad 2X Global Midi Channel to "16"

When the sysex is transmitting to the LEAD 2x, you can see the program numbers in the display going up from 1 to 99. There is a pause, and then the Percussion kits P1 to P9 load at the end.

(Thank you maxpiano for sticking with me as I went through my troubleshooting process)
Last edited by iluvchiclets on 15 Dec 2022, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Lead 2X Restore Factory Presets *SOLVED*

Post by maxpiano »

Good that you solved! :thumbup:

But actually, sysex messages have no associated MIDI Ch (by definition)... so it is quite strange that the solution was including that setting, I think it is more related to all the rest and it would be nice if you could try doing the same but just changing the Global Midi channel to anything else than 16 (unless Nord Lead 2X uses the Global Midi channel also as a DeviceID in the sysex, which is not standard but all is possible)
Last edited by maxpiano on 15 Dec 2022, 12:28, edited 4 times in total.
iluvchiclets

Re: Nord Lead 2X Restore Factory Presets *SOLVED*

Post by iluvchiclets »

maxpiano wrote:...(unless Nord Lead 2X uses the Global Midi channel also as a DeviceID in the sysex, which is not standard but all is possible)

Yes, that sounds like the terminology I did read. I went through so many posts I had a whole bunch of ideas to try! But nothing was happening until I set Global Midi Channel to 16.

**In fact, a service manual for the Lead 2/2X suggests a factory restore to be <shift + mod envelope>
Wow!? Perhaps this returns factory globals settings to normal? I don't dare try it!

(Quote:
Returning to factory settings. In order to return to factory settings, press <shift + mod env> after the Nord Lead 2/2X has powered up. The original programs are restored as they were programmed when the unit left the factory.)

And I needed to slow the "input buffers" in Midi-ox down as well, because my bulk- dump back up wasn't completing properly as well. I would get a strange, low number once the file was saved.
Last edited by iluvchiclets on 15 Dec 2022, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.