Changing Return Spring for Nord Electro for Smoother Keybed

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
zyrous888
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Changing Return Spring for Nord Electro for Smoother Keybed

Post by zyrous888 »

HI Guys!
I just want to share the modification I made to my NE6D. I changed the return string to a less stiff fatar springs. I have a friend that works with fatar and bribe him so I can buy return springs less stiff which is compatible with nord. I paid him $200 for 61 springs. They don't reveal what specific type/part number of these spring but they totally match on the holes. As you can see on the picture, the new springs are thinner and more elastic than the stock on nord electro. I am quite happy with my keybed now. I kept the old springs just incase I want to sell this in the future, I can always put it back.

I usually gig with 2 keyboards my Montage 7 or Kronos x6 at the buttom and NE6D at the top and these set up, I always I missed some notes running fast runs on the NE6D bec the keybed of Nord is too stiff compared to the later. I had my NE6D for I year now and still I cant adjust to its keybed so i made this modification to my liking.

I am posting this thread to show that it is possible to change the keybed to less springy action. I hope this helps to some who is planning to change the spring in the future. I wish I can give you the part number of the spring but they dont want to reveal. I know we all have preferences on the keybed action. Whatever makes us happy and and makes us better musician as a keyboard player or organ player go for it. Thanks
Attachments
with the new springs
with the new springs
IMG_6984.jpg (143.6 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
original key springs
original key springs
IMG_6986.jpg (144.06 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Last edited by zyrous888 on 17 Sep 2020, 01:47, edited 7 times in total.
These users thanked the author zyrous888 for the post (total 3):
Polychrest, vcfvca, Schorsch
Gear: Nord Stage 3; Nord Electro 6D; Yamaha Montage 7; Yamaha MODX6; Korg Kronos X :keyboard2:
vcfvca
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Re: Changing Return Spring for Nord Electro for Smoother Key

Post by vcfvca »

Thanks for posting! You say you got the springs from a Fatar contact. Would you be able to find out if these springs are from the TP/9S? I have a Prophet 6 and that uses a TP/9S keybed and it is much lighter than the electro.

Thanks for the excellent photos that show which screws to remove.
zyrous888

Post by zyrous888 »

You're welcome. I send a message to my friend from fatar but did not get response yet.
Gear: Nord Stage 3; Nord Electro 6D; Yamaha Montage 7; Yamaha MODX6; Korg Kronos X :keyboard2:
zyrous888

Post by zyrous888 »

Just got response from my friend, he said no the size is different but the action is almost the same. Whoever is interested to order a new set of fatar strings as replacement for your nord electro send me a private message, I can help you.
Mr_-G-
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Mr_-G- »

That seems quite expensive... about 3.27 per spring?

Perhaps not exactly the same item, but maybe it serves as a guidance on retail prices. Almost six time less:
https://www.synth-parts.com/en/products ... 8/9?c=1845

Another one, 3 times less
https://www.partsisparts.net/catalog/korg-key-spring
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

Hi Mr_-G-,

it's the same what I thought: Should be a good deal - for that Fatar friend. But if you look closely into your two links: One says "DISCONTINUED, NO LONGER AVAILABLE", the other is 2.91 EUR (not 0,58 as this refers to some screws) which should be around what zyrous888 paid in USD.

Seems as if there is the typical parts problem: You don't pay the production cost, but all the logistics with those small boxes full of parts that may be ordered or not.
These users thanked the author FZiegler for the post:
zyrous888
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
zyrous888

Post by zyrous888 »

Hi Guys,
I have gone contacting Syntaur in my search for looking the spring and they are offering me the stock spring that came with the NE6D. I told them I am looking for a less stiff spring with the same size and was told that they have no idea of what I am talking about. :lol: ... BTW I am attaching pic of the hole with cut away where the spring is located. Too big of the spring head will make this protruding and end up short. Too small of the spring head will not hold and fall. This is the close view... hope this helps..
Attachments
IMG_7012.PNG
IMG_7012.PNG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4547 times
magnuskatz
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by magnuskatz »

I just changed out the springs on my NE5D. Couldn't stand the action before, used to hurt my hand so much I was ready to sell it, but now plays great after changing the springs.

I used part number KYSP27 from Syntaur, which they only carry used, so availability is quite limited. The springs I received definitely didn't look as pristine as the original Nord springs, but they sure play better.
Crusty

Post by Crusty »

M-Audio keystation 61ES is also listed as using kysp27. I got a cheap used one, and swapped springs. Much better. You have to take cage over power supply off Nord to fit the springs where it sits. It's a easy job. Long nosed pliers to stretch springs. I think the non hammond sounds benefited too. Rhodes, wurly, and clav, seem to have a little more pop. Did to both my electro 4d and 5d. Got first set from Syntaur,,,
Last edited by Crusty on 20 Nov 2020, 10:53, edited 4 times in total.
vcfvca
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by vcfvca »

Crusty wrote:Studiologic keystation 61ES is also listed as using kysp27. I got a cheap used one, and swapped springs. Much better. You have to take cage over power supply off Nord to fit the springs where it sits. It's a easy job. Long nosed pliers to stretch springs. I think the non hammond sounds benefited too. Rhodes, wurly, and clav, seem to have a little more pop. Did to both my electro 4d and 5d. Got first set from Syntaur,,,
I can't find a Studiologic Keystation 61ES - do you mean M-Audio Keystation 61ES?