3HP keybed noise

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
fccmt
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

3HP keybed noise

Post by fccmt »

Does anyone have this type of problem/noises ? What do you guys think of it?
I'm very unconfortable with it. For now It's only noise...It's not affecting dynamics or sound. I've bought it only two months ago...and I've discussed this issue earlier in this forum. But I thought a video could help you to understand what I'm talking about.
thanks!
Attachments
NordKeys_noises.3gp
nord keybed noise
(217.94 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
mjbrands

Re: 3HP keybed noise

Post by mjbrands »

Interesting. I've seen people complain about this before, but I thought it was more like a dull thud. This is quite an annoying sound.

I'm sure it is not causing damage, but I can imagine it bugs you. No idea what causes it though, hopefully someone else has an idea.
fccmt

Post by fccmt »

I've presented a complaint about this situation directly to nord. At the momemt I'm waiting for a possible guideline... I'm really sad that this happened, because I'm a fan and supporter of nord philosophy. This is starting to mess with my playability...making me unconfortable...the stability and balance of the mentioned keys is a little different from all the others. thank you for your feedback and concern.
Last edited by fccmt on 10 May 2013, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
pterm
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Post by pterm »

I hear the same sounds on the same keys on my 3HP when I slide the keys side-to-side. It seems to be the same notes in each octave up and down the keyboard .

My guess is those keys collide with adjacent keys or supports when moved sideways.

Fortunately, I never noticed them before now when I played over the last 8 months... I hope it does not start to bother me now that I know it is there. :)

For the cost of these keyboards, I agree that quality of the keys ought to be consistent across the entire board.
These users thanked the author pterm for the post:
fccmt
fccmt

Post by fccmt »

pterm wrote:I hear the same sounds on the same keys on my 3HP when I slide the keys side-to-side. It seems to be the same notes in each octave up and down the keyboard .

My guess is those keys collide with adjacent keys or supports when moved sideways.

Fortunately, I never noticed them before now when I played over the last 8 months... I hope it does not start to bother me now that I know it is there. :)

For the cost of these keyboards, I agree that quality of the keys ought to be consistent across the entire board.
Sorry my friend...though I must warn you that it gets worse!

Still no news or replies from nord support...

With honesty I must say that I'm very, very disappointed...considering the price/status of the machine...Nord has a great sound library (if not the best), a great design, a great workflow, great "live" philosophy oriented...but...but in the end it all comes down to one thing: quality and endurance!

For example: I have an old Yamanha DX 7 II D, JEN (moog) and a beautiful viscount/oberheim OB3 squared (hammond style) they have seen the road many times and guess what... still in perfect shape!

I definitely cannot live with this clack/trakk/ploks (with only 2,5 months of use). If I don't get a feedback soon from the Nord support (with some guidelines/orientation) I will contact the dealer.

thanks.
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

fccmt wrote:I definitely cannot live with this clack/trakk/ploks (with only 2,5 months of use). If I don't get a feedback soon from the Nord support (with some guidelines/orientation) I will contact the dealer.
It might actually be the distributor for you country that is not responding. Generally Nord (Clavia) will forward support questions to the distributor for your country; they are in a better position to support your and they speak the local language. I've been assured that Clavia does read all support questions coming in and steps in when they think it is needed.

You might want to give the distributor in Portugal a call to see if you can speed things up; at the top-right of the Nord website you can find a link called Distributors, which will take you to a page with all the details for the different distributors. It might contain a phone number; if not, the website of that company might contain contact data.

Of course, if you've already decided you want to get rid of your Electro 3 HP, passive waiting may be the best thing ;)

I can understand your frustration (and think the noise in that movie you posted is pretty loud indeed). I think contacting your dealer (if you mean the shop that sold it to you) is a very good idea; I think either the dealer (or if they cannot/will not help you the distributor) should take care of this issue. If that doesn't help, do contact Clavia.

As I understand it the HA-type (Hammer Portable) keyboards are a bit of a compromise, in that keeping the weight down was very important and may have required a design that is quite different from what is used for the HA-style (Hammer Action). Perhaps this sound is a by-product of this light-weight design. If this is the case, than I can imagine that the shop that sold it to you should've informed you of this. I'm just guessing here though...
maurus
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by maurus »

My 3HP does not have these annoying sounds - at least I never noticed them when playing, and I play(ed) my board a lot. IMO Clavia (or your dealer, or the distributor) should replace that particular instrument. - I'll re-test when I get home and report back.
maurus
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by maurus »

Hi again. Meanwhile I gave my keys on the 3HP another close look. I can actually reproduce, for a few individual keys, the noise that you are showing in your video if I wobble strongly with keys pressed. Still, in normal playing these noises don't appear. Hence they don't worry me a lot.
It is clear though that the HP action is a problematic compromise between weight and 'realism'. The Fatar hammer actions are definitely Clavia's weak point. From a pianistic point of view, there is no comparison with the RM3-II action in the Kawai VPC1 that I got recently, or even with the old and proven Yamaha GH action. But you don't get these at 11kg overall weight of your instrument...
These users thanked the author maurus for the post:
fccmt
jolepiar
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by jolepiar »

I also hear these clicks in some keys on my NE3 HP.
And I bet all the keyboards Hammer Portable (Fatar TP100) do or will do it one day.
Honestly, this question has made ​​me more confused, and now I do not give much importance, although I find this unacceptable in a product in this category.
Just remember this problem when I play pianissimo with some piano sound.
And if you play live, none of this is relevant!
Although I think this just shows the fragility of the keys and hopefully not an omen of poor durability of them.
Undoubtedly, the keyboard is the weak point of this beautiful instrument.
These users thanked the author jolepiar for the post:
fccmt
Nord Electro 6D 73
mjbrands

Post by mjbrands »

jolepiar wrote:... if you play live, none of this is relevant!
Very true.
jolepiar wrote:Although I think this just shows the fragility of the keys and hopefully not an omen of poor durability of them.
Does it? I wouldn't say it shows that the keybed is fragile, but I would say it shows an Electro 3/4 HP isn't ideal for playing in a quiet room if you suspect noise like this is going to bother you (it would really bug me, I think).

Still, 11 kg for a keyboard that feels much more like a real piano is pretty amazing I think. For home use, a semi-weighted Electro in combination with a decent fully weighted controller (or maybe something like a Casio Privia, which supposedly has a pretty good keybed for the price) might be better (and perhaps even cheaper). It would take up quite a bit more room though.