One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket Electric Organ Sound

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
forabba
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket Electric Organ Sound

Post by forabba »

We've got one big holiday by my morning jacket in our set list and I am trying to recreate the sound played by the keys in their performance on letterman.

It sounds like an airy sort of electric organ sound where there is a delay. I've tried messing with the drawbars and all the presets to no avail so maybe I need to consider the synth section. Anyone have any tips? You can hear the sound I am after at 4:05 here:

Many thanks!
Valpurgis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Re: One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket Electric Organ Sound

Post by Valpurgis »

Being dominated by the guitars I think you can play anything, to me it sounds like a synth/string patch.
These users thanked the author Valpurgis for the post:
ericL
ericL
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ericL »

I'd layer a bright organ sound with a synth string sound, with some phasing or flanging on the strings.

Try a drawbar setting like 8484446325 with some overdrive and maybe use the C3 chorus. Layer with the phased strings and balance them to taste. It's like a wall of sound backing pad and isn't really distinguishable as a unique keyboard sound. Just providing a backdrop, so you can also experiment and do what you want with it.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
dmamfmgm
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by dmamfmgm »

I have no advice. Just jumping in to say, it sounds really nice at your entrance at 1:32! And ... you made it on Letterman! :yourock: