General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord stage 3 fm synth

Postby macco00 » 08 Mar 2018, 21:57

Do you know of NS3 have the fm synth like NS2 ( op + feedback )?
macco00

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Nord stage 3 fm synth

Sponsor

Re: Nord stage 3 fm synth

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Mar 2018, 01:17

You can check the manual which can be downloaded from the Calvia site.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby anotherscott » 09 Mar 2018, 02:03

I could not determine from the manual whether the NS3 had quite the same FM capabilities as the NS2, I'm curious about this as well.
anotherscott

Postby ajstan » 09 Mar 2018, 03:22

Ok, the three of you got me curious, so I took a look at page 31 of the NS2EX manual and page 34 of the NS3 manual, and to me, it looks like the short answer is that the two engines are completely different.

The NS2 appears to use a series of preset sine wave configurations as the base oscillator for its FM synthesis, while the NS3 applies FM modulation as part of the secondary oscillator to modify the primary oscillator selected (samples and super waves excepted).

So, while you may be able to approximate an NS2 FM sound on an NS3, you would have to go about it in a different way. Also, it looks like the NS3 offers a broader set of options since you are not limited to the sine wave as the primary oscillator as with the NS2.

I could be wrong, but that’s what it looks like to me.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby derrellpiper » 09 Mar 2018, 03:55

probably, they're different. the stage 3 is derived from the lead a1, not the stage 2.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby aureliopenna » 09 Mar 2018, 07:07

If I correctly understand, they are diferent. There is no Main FM Oscilator on NS3, it's on OSC 2 (like NS2) in order to shape or mix with OSC1. You have more synth power on NS3 but NOT a dedicated FM OSC.
aureliopenna

Postby maxpiano » 09 Mar 2018, 07:44

ajstan wrote:Ok, the three of you got me curious, so I took a look at page 31 of the NS2EX manual and page 34 of the NS3 manual, and to me, it looks like the short answer is that the two engines are completely different.

The NS2 appears to use a series of preset sine wave configurations as the base oscillator for its FM synthesis, while the NS3 applies FM modulation as part of the secondary oscillator to modify the primary oscillator selected (samples and super waves excepted).

So, while you may be able to approximate an NS2 FM sound on an NS3, you would have to go about it in a different way. Also, it looks like the NS3 offers a broader set of options since you are not limited to the sine wave as the primary oscillator as with the NS2.

I could be wrong, but that’s what it looks like to me.

I read the NS3 manual, which indeed is "not so rich of info" in that respect :thumbdown: and I think you are right.
NS3 Synth implements FM but in a pretty different way compared to NS2; according to the manual there are two FM modes:

- DUAL FM, where OSC1 is the carrier and OSC2 the modulator, amount of modulation is determined by the OSC CTRL (which in turn can be modulated by LFO or the ModEnv); both OSCs can use any waveform except S-wave and Samples.

- TRIPLE FM: where OSC2 represents a pair of modulators (unclear if series or parallel, I presume series = cascaded 3->2->1), the rest is the same as DUAL. Unclear also if the modulation control influences both 3->2 and 2->1 at the same time and with the same amount (I would think so)

So to me basically the NS2 has a more "traditional" FM with more configurations (andsome with feedback) while the NS3 has less configurations, no feedback but this is partially compensated by the ability to use different waveforms than just the sine wave, more similar to the FM you could find on some analog synths.
This also means that for FM sounds it is not (in general) possible to do a 1:1 "parameter copy" between the two synths.
Last edited by maxpiano on 09 Mar 2018, 07:58, edited 7 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
FZiegler
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum