General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: OLED displays Nord Stage 3

Postby aureliopenna » 24 Feb 2018, 16:53

RichardG wrote:@aureliopenna

I've patiently read your comments over the last time and I'm now convinced you won't say anything positive over the NS3 ever but take every opportunity to point out a (perceived) flaw.
Be it about the Organ, Clavi's, Piano sounds, velocity and now even the display.
Everything appears to be better for you in the NS2 and you keep saying you'll sell your NS3.

Nobody forces you to buy anything and if you're happier with the NS2 you're fully entitled to enjoy that as others enjoy their instrument.

Are there improvements to be made ? Sure ! Nothing is perfect but most ppl. here seem to enjoy their NS3 bar a couple of musicians who have another expectation and compare it to their current Nord.
So why can't they be happy with what they have and enjoy that but have to keep harping on these subjective flaws ?

I respect your opinion and we don't all have to be in awe about the latest and greatest but this is now, IMHO, bordering on trolling in almost any thread about the NS3.

So pls., and I just know more members share this opinion, try to be constructive, positive and helpful to any and all members having a question and try to refrain from taking the negative route every time.

With respect,
RichardG.

I do respect your comment RichardG and I hope you understand why I'm doing this.
A criticism doens't HAVE necessarily to be always positive, mind that. Actually, negative ones (and when I say negative I meant just point a personal desapointment) could turns into positive if Clavia could do something about.

But let me shortly try to explain my disappointement.
First - I just bought a new Stage because my NS2C sundenly stops USB port, and no matter how much I tried, nobody did nothing to help, so I thought, lets sell NS2 for a low price and buy NS3.
Thats what I did! Thanks God, I didn't sell my NS2 first, but spend a lot of money on the NS3C and here is the heart of my complaining.
I have to say that I knew about Latch/KB gate missing (So I can't complain about it).

but what I didn't know was:

-About clav eq missing not subjetive
-How different the pianos EP DP and AP sounds from NS2 in my and some others opinions. subjetive ?
-Morph pot conector assemblage serious issues - not subjetive
-Darker Reverb! When I saw "bright" button on rvb section I thought "wow" now the reverb could be even more bright, cool!! But instead it is darker even with "bright" button "on". not subjetive
-Totally diferent Eq section that TO ME just don't sound right. not subjetive
-Minor Flaws like reverb pre leslie not subjetive until now. (actually I can't say that don't like it)

Honest. I am professional pianist, for 25 years, I can say that I know my instrument (keyboard) and the response it should give when I play. I have this response with NS2 and even my car is Red and has a NORD sticker, because really love the brand since the begging! I kind of lost this on NS3, that should be better than NS2, and to me it isn't.
Yes, I know that I'm complaining too much, and bothering some that love it, but as I always say, if I had read some comments like this before, I should think twice before buying, and I know I'm not alone.

What I don't understand Richard is why people can be Happy with their new gear and can tell everyone about how better NS3 is instead of NS2, and when another guy comment something negative they go as fast as they to say that NS3 is far better and was a improvement from it's predecessor, etc, and I can't be sad about my new gear and tells everyone how I felt when they're feeling something very close to what I'm feeling.
Don't t you think that the rights to write the feeling of who owns the instrument and to speak as you feel about it should not be the same for better or , in my situation until now unfortunatelly, for worse.

To say the last, I hereby commit that if while I am still with NS3 new updates come up or make new modifications that makes change my mind, I will post here in my own post and anothers ones to help to clarify to new users the understanding of the new functions and their doubts about the differences between a model and the other.
I still promise myself that if I sell the keyboard I will not talk about it anymore. I'm still just talking because I worry and I still have hopes for it.

Ha! Something I didn't tell before. I sent my NS3C to my dealer, and I'm waiting for a new replacement. If a new unit comes to me I will let you guys know if all of this issues was just in my unit or not.

Sorry for the long post,
With respect

Aurelio
Last edited by aureliopenna on 24 Feb 2018, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby analogika » 24 Feb 2018, 17:40

Hi.

That is all good and well, but it doesn't explain why you are in this thread implying that the type of OLED used on the Stage 3 is somehow inherently more fragile than an LCD.

That's just — with all due respect — horseshit, and you're entirely making it up.

The issue is not that criticism is not appreciated or realistic. The issue is that you use every single occasion — whether appropriate OR NOT APPROPRIATE — to make the Stage 3 look bad to those who don't share your concerns (or outright view the things you criticise as advantages).

You have now even gone so far as to invent reasons that have nothing to do with reality, neither subjectively nor objectively.

aureliopenna wrote:Honest. I am professional pianist, for 25 years, I can say that I know my instrument (keyboard) and the response it should give when I play.

NO. No, you don't.

You can say what the response you would LIKE it to give when you play. That is ENTIRELY subjective.

The pre-Leslie reverb is also not objectively a "flaw", but a preference.
Otherwise, it would obviously be impossible for some of us to prefer it (which we do).

This thread, however, is about allaying concerns one forum member is having about the OLED in his keyboard, and the question of whether noise can emanate from it.
Last edited by analogika on 24 Feb 2018, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by 3 members, including:
PScooter63RichardGHobster
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby RichardG » 24 Feb 2018, 18:32

@Aureliopenna

Yes, there are some h/w problems and apparently some changes we might or might not have known (like clav eq.).
But we are among the guinea-pigs who bought the first version and that can mean issues on any front (h/w and s/w).

How it sounds remains subjective IMHO as there are others who find it sounding better.
As Analogika said, it's something personal; we cannot hear what you hear or perceive as 'problematic'.
I personally don't like the reverb before the Leslie, but others do.
And during my transition from NS2->3 I think I even compared that and IIRC found out it's the same on the NS2 albeit much more subtle.
Would I like an option before/after ? Yes ! But if it can't be done than that's it... Maybe in the NS4 ?
I can't hijaak every thread and start complaining about this.

I understand that you, like all of us, want to make it better in any way possible.
What I (keeping this as my view) find is that it's not always in a constructive, positive manner.
Clavia is not going to respond, but probably will respond if we try to steer them in a direction where more ppl. can be happy and in the end create a better instrument.

Is the NS3 better ? Even that is subjective, since it seems you do not think so.
For me, yes definitely better ! But also my subjective view in the end.

Regards,
RichardG
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

The author RichardG was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikaHobster
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby analogika » 24 Feb 2018, 20:17

I would add that I absolutely hear some of the things he sees as “problematic”. I just consider them advantages.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby aureliopenna » 24 Feb 2018, 20:47

Hey guys, I didn't hijaak this thread about my complainings. If you take a good look, I just mention the OLED before start aswering other questions and observations that has nothing to do with OLED.
I couple of friend here In Brazil has they OLED broked, I found it was interesting to know. But before that, I aswered the thread by saying that the OLED doens't make any noise as far as I know. But the Power Supply do. Mine and other folk do.
So maybe, and just maybe, the noise could come from the PS and not the OLED.
Last edited by aureliopenna on 24 Feb 2018, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby pterm » 25 Feb 2018, 03:31

George wrote:Hi Folks, I couldn't find an earlier topic on this subject so here is my question:
Yesterday I received my Stage 3 and impressed (upgrading from a Stage 2). One question though: The OLED displays are very bright and make some noise.
Is this something to worry about (life expectancy)? Would be nice if you could alter the brightness of these displays like on my Roland Integra 7.
Kind regards, George

I looked at the specifications of commercially available OLED modules. Many require 13V to operate. Nord's previous power supplies provided only +12V (but I don't know what the NS3 provides). If Nord needs to boost 12V up to 13V, they require either a boost converter circuit or a charge pump circuit. Both of these types of circuits can produce audio-band harmonics that cause capacitors or inductors to produce noise at that frequency.
It's entirely possible that the OLED produces noise.

I don't know for certain... I'm just saying it's not unheard of. :D :roll:
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby derrellpiper » 25 Feb 2018, 04:39

Edit: nevermind
Last edited by derrellpiper on 25 Feb 2018, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

The author derrellpiper was thanked by:
pterm
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby derrellpiper » 25 Feb 2018, 04:44

Is it audible noise, as in the Stage is humming, or is it audio noise. Obviously there's a difference.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 25 Feb 2018, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Quai34 » 25 Feb 2018, 12:15

I know I'm not supposed to say anything like that in a forum but sorry, Aurelopanna, I'm really pissed of with your attitude....Sell you Stage 3, play your stage 2 but stop taking ALL opportunities you can to come with, with a new awful/disadvantages/failure/wrong design or whatever you want to call them about the Stage 3.....You have done that so many times that you feel ridiculous in saying so much "bullshit" about the Stage 3...We all have taken the time , in length and width to answer to questions/constant criticisms with respect and patience and it doesn't make it better for you in trying again to justify....I am really bored to see always, at a time I know for sure it will come, one of your complains again....And I'm sure I'm not the only one....We should respect each other, I know that my post might not be very respectfully but for me, and I'm pretty sure for a lot of other people as well, your have already crossed the line for what was supposed to be a fair opinion, based on facts and reality of the Stage 3. : It a super instruments and you won't make it the crap you want us to believe in doing such a "carnage" on this website about the Stage 3.....
So, as of today, I won't take the time to read anymore your complaints because it's gonna make me say things with a more aggressive way that I will regret. And I'm pretty sure, you've done too much this that a lot of users will just pass,over your threat for the next future....I will for sure
Sincerely
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by 5 members, including:
PScooter63RichardGderrellpiperHobsteranalogika
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby pterm » 25 Feb 2018, 22:02

derrellpiper wrote:Gee, here's an OLED that needs 3.3V, care to try again?

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1431

This link says "Included on the fully assembled breakout is the OLED display and a small boost converter (required for providing 12V to the OLED"
Thanks for illustrating my point.

The author pterm was thanked by:
derrellpiper
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum