This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Nord piano 3 + lead a1....or stage 3?

Postby cphollis » 21 Feb 2018, 01:21

The synth section on the Stage 3 is deep. Just sayin' Every time I think I've got it figured out, I find something else. Not as deep as the DeepMind-12, but still -- plenty deep.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Sponsor

Postby Zbmstudios » 21 Feb 2018, 01:44

solmaster wrote:Hate to say it, (and at the risk of being shot down in flames) but have you considered a non-Nord keyboard to compliment the excellent Piano 3?
Maybe something like a synth from Roland or Yamaha, or used Kronos to give you that really lush strings and full on brass sounds that's arguably not Nord's main strength? Use the Nord piano for what it's best at, plus its sampling capability.

I had planned to do that ub til I realized that the piano 3 would also double as my master keyboard for my studio but there is no pitch or not wheel....bleh...So that was a major factor for me. But I will get a non-nord synth to compliment my stage 388. A prophet rev to or korg prologue.
Zbmstudios

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Zbmstudios » 21 Feb 2018, 01:45

solmaster wrote:Hate to say it, (and at the risk of being shot down in flames) but have you considered a non-Nord keyboard to compliment the excellent Piano 3?
Maybe something like a synth from Roland or Yamaha, or used Kronos to give you that really lush strings and full on brass sounds that's arguably not Nord's main strength? Use the Nord piano for what it's best at, plus its sampling capability.

I had planned to do that ub til I realized that the piano 3 would also double as my master keyboard for my studio but there is no pitch or not wheel....bleh...So that was a major factor for me. But I will get a non-nord synth to compliment my stage 388. A prophet rev to or korg prologue.
Zbmstudios

Postby anotherscott » 21 Feb 2018, 03:57

Zbmstudios wrote:I never thought I would end up wit Nord as my master keyboard but I've finally found "the board" I've been looking for as my main board. I had a kronos but I just couldn't cinnrect with it like I do the nord. But Im not to surprised as I LOVE tactile control.

Yeah, the Nord is a lot more fun and inviting for creating sounds and also manipulating them in real time. For me, Kronos is much more about finding a preset that is pretty much what you're looking for, or maybe combining presets in a custom combi (though I've also found its ability to load soundfonts to be useful). The two boards can complement each other nicely... Kronos is more of a board where you do your initial setup to get the sounds you need and then call them up as needed (live, I never exit the "setlist" page, I simply call up my presets), whereas the Stage is better suited for when you want to tinker with the sounds. When I finally get my NS3, I want to play with using an iPad to give it a more Kronos-like patch selection functionality. But out of the box, operationally, I'd say each has a strength where the other has a weakness.
anotherscott

Postby Zbmstudios » 21 Feb 2018, 06:57

I agree. The Kronos to me really is the best overall board. It truly does everything pretty darn well. If I was touring or if I had no computer software and only had one board to choose, the Kronos would be it. But I’ve got omnisphere 2, Keyscape, komolete ultimate 11 so for this situation I was looking for a board I could connect with and be inspired to play as you stated. I got lost in the NS3 at Sam ash and I’m not turning back haha
Zbmstudios

Postby baekgaard » 21 Feb 2018, 09:21

Zbmstudios wrote:... If I was touring ... the Kronos would be it.

I guess in that case you also assume you would have someone else to schlep your gear then :-)

[As far as I know, the Kronos 88 is around 24 kg whereas the NS3 is just above 18 kg -- makes a big difference in practice]
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum