All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Re: Gear Alert: new QSC K8.2

Postby Quai34 » 14 Feb 2018, 20:45

Chuck you should ask QSC a kind of commercial agent fee for what you've done for them....Or a sort of "Endorsement discount"..
And just realized in reading this thread and the fan ,noise" that my Yorkville has no fan in fact and that the heat dissipation is great, I've never had any issue....
Last edited by Quai34 on 14 Feb 2018, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Sponsor

Postby Frantz » 15 Feb 2018, 21:30

Johannes wrote:Interesting topic!
In fact, made my pull the trigger and finally get one (for now) K8.2 for different uses.
And can confirm many ovbservations made here. Very nice amped speaker, the APs sound great! For home use, the fan comes on very rarely ony after longer use, but absolutely tolerable/hardly noticable.
Still have to play with the different settings and optimizing the position, but very happy with the purchase!

For home use, it's still possible to open ( a few screws to unscrew ) and disconnect the fan, it's not soldered, there is a connector, a 'plug'.
It's not getting hot while I don't really push the volume at home.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.

The author Frantz was thanked by:
Johannes
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby ajstan » 17 Feb 2018, 21:45

Thanks, Frantz, good to know. Did you take off the 6 screws from the control panel or the 4 screws from the heat sink? I’ll probably leave as-is for now.

For what it’s worth, I did some testing of fan noise on the K8.2 with the Decibel X app on my iPhone. Since my SPL meter only goes down to 51dB, I was only able to use it to measure fan noise, for which the iPhone and SPL meter gave the same results. I don’t know what other speakers in this category sound like, but the K8.2s seem pretty quiet to me.

Room Measurement
Sitting at my NS3, speakers mounted at ear level, with the grille lined up with the back of the NS3 and the sides of the NS3 bisecting the speaker.
Speakers Off: 34dB (room noise level)
Speakers On, no fan: still 34dB but the hiss is audible
Speakers On, both fans on: 41dB

Speaker Measurement
Approximately 1” from grille to measure hiss and 1” from back of speaker to measure fan.
Speaker Off: 34dB (room noise level)
Speaker On, no fan: 40dB
Speaker On, fan on: 60dB

With almost any level of ambient noise, the K8.2s are essentially silent. If it weren’t for the lights, I wouldn’t know they were on until I played something.
Last edited by ajstan on 17 Feb 2018, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby upbeat » 19 Feb 2018, 19:31

So, unfortunately, it seems the new K.2 series is not yet available in Argentina. My local options right now are to go with the Line 6 Stagesource series (which I have heard some good thing about), or the legacy K8/K10. The only way for me to get a K8.2 at this point would be to import it myself, with all its implications in terms of time, effort and risk. Any thoughts?
upbeat

Postby cphollis » 19 Feb 2018, 22:27

Can't speak to the Line 6, but I'd avoid the legacy K8/K10 if possible. They were pretty good a few years back, but the upgraded stuff is just so much better. Although I still like the way my legacy K8s sound with Nords.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
Eisenhans
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby upbeat » 20 Feb 2018, 00:11

Shoot! I was hoping you'd say "yeah, dive right into the old K8!". I guess I'll look at importing the 8.2.
upbeat

Postby cphollis » 20 Feb 2018, 03:15

Sorry, not going to recommend that based on personal experience.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby afroskully » 30 Mar 2018, 14:44

Hey K8.2 owners... I've had my pair of 8.2s for about 9 months now and I've been so damn happy with them. But... i set them up at home last week and using a nice living room-level volume, I noticed an annoying rattle in one of the speakers with a low-mid frequency organ growl that isn't apparent on stage. I know it's all still under warranty and I'm planning on dropping it off at a local authorized service provider soon... just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
afroskully

Postby mididiot » 30 Mar 2018, 17:16

I bought the Line L2T and L2M. I've owned the QSC K8's, EV's, Bose, and Spacestation v3. I love them and have no regrets. It raised the sound quality of my Nord Stage 2. I couldn't ask for anymore than that. Even using one in mono mode sounded great.
Keyboardist ,Live gear=Nord Stage 3,Roland Fantom 06,(2)JBL EON PRO,QSC TOUCHMIX8, Spacestation v.3 , Ibanez P3110 amp.& Hammond A-110 Leslie 122. Young Chang Upright Tons of Softsynths.
mididiot
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby ajstan » 30 Mar 2018, 18:58

afroskully wrote:Hey K8.2 owners... I've had my pair of 8.2s for about 9 months now and I've been so damn happy with them. But... i set them up at home last week and using a nice living room-level volume, I noticed an annoying rattle in one of the speakers with a low-mid frequency organ growl that isn't apparent on stage. I know it's all still under warranty and I'm planning on dropping it off at a local authorized service provider soon... just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

I haven’t heard anything like that with mine, but I can try to reproduce it with my NS3, if you can share your settings.

- organ registration
- 8.2 settings
- the approximate dB level at 1’ when you get the rattle (Decibel X is a good app if you have an iPhone)
- the notes you play that give the rattle

These may be silly questions and you may have tried these steps already, but are you sure the rattle is in the speaker and not something in the room? Also, if you switch the left and right speakers, does the rattle stay with the speaker, or is it possibly the channel or speaker positioning causing the distortion?
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories and Amplification