General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS3 Velocity and General Sound vs NS2

Postby Mr_-G- » 19 Feb 2018, 14:06

As I understand it, the issue here that people are claiming different experiences with different keybed models? I.e. compact vs HA when compared to the NS2/EX?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby baekgaard » 19 Feb 2018, 14:34

Mr_-G- wrote:As I understand it, the issue here that people are claiming different experiences with different keybed models? I.e. compact vs HA when compared to the NS2/EX?

It looks like there are multiple views on this and no clear conclusion, as mentioned here.

In any case, this one that I stumbled over last week claims a difference between the NS2 HA and the NS2 EX HA (I think)... there is maybe some deja vu with the NS3 release.

So it is possible that we all adjust to our current keyboards and have difficulties adjusting to the new ones -- unless we find the new ones better than the old ones :-)

Either that, or keyboards just magically improve over time the more we use them...
Last edited by baekgaard on 19 Feb 2018, 14:37, edited 2 times in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Larsdka » 19 Feb 2018, 16:58

Hi Bækgaard, I assume that i´ts mine “old” post that you have been digging in and read..
Ther was a difference back then from the Nord stage 2HA 76 VS NS2EX, and yes i had to get used to that..
This time its only that i´d tried to get used to NS3 VS NS2EX the last 4 month and I must come to that conclusion that it´s the NS3 velocity thats not working for me (and many others). There are no Dynamics anymore, you can either play soft or loud, no in between. The bass region sounds syntetic,and the way the tone / Samples rings out doesnt sound natural like in the NS2EX,sorry to say.. (i have a upright piano here myself and no how to play the real thing, and now how it should sound.. When all that´s said, i think the NS3 in general have a problem with the pianosounds, that the sound is not open,like there is a kind of compression going on. I love Nords piano samples and with a A/B side by side, i must just say that the Ns3 doesnt inspire me like my NS2EX, and i dont wanna be gigging with it,i use my NS2EX, that says something,i think.. But the synth/organ is an great improvement.. But again, unfortunally i cant use it as it is right now,playing piano..
And if that´s not a problem ,that Nord have to deal with, i think they have a problem..

The author Larsdka was thanked by:
aureliopenna
Larsdka

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby baekgaard » 19 Feb 2018, 22:13

Hej Lars!

Larsdka wrote:Hi Bækgaard, I assume that i´ts mine “old” post that you have been digging in and read.

Yes -- which is why I asked here whether the keyboard could have changed over time, since you initially was very unhappy with the action, or what happened. Out of curiosity, since the complaints then seemed somewhat similar to now.

Ther was a difference back then from the Nord stage 2HA 76 VS NS2EX, and yes i had to get used to that.

OK, thanks for clarifying.
baekgaard

Postby aureliopenna » 24 Feb 2018, 05:45

Larsdka wrote:Hi Bækgaard, I assume that i´ts mine “old” post that you have been digging in and read..
Ther was a difference back then from the Nord stage 2HA 76 VS NS2EX, and yes i had to get used to that..
This time its only that i´d tried to get used to NS3 VS NS2EX the last 4 month and I must come to that conclusion that it´s the NS3 velocity thats not working for me (and many others). There are no Dynamics anymore, you can either play soft or loud, no in between. The bass region sounds syntetic,and the way the tone / Samples rings out doesnt sound natural like in the NS2EX,sorry to say.. (i have a upright piano here myself and no how to play the real thing, and now how it should sound.. When all that´s said, i think the NS3 in general have a problem with the pianosounds, that the sound is not open,like there is a kind of compression going on. I love Nords piano samples and with a A/B side by side, i must just say that the Ns3 doesnt inspire me like my NS2EX, and i dont wanna be gigging with it,i use my NS2EX, that says something,i think.. But the synth/organ is an great improvement.. But again, unfortunally i cant use it as it is right now,playing piano..
And if that´s not a problem ,that Nord have to deal with, i think they have a problem..

Man I feel exactly the same, I really don't understand why other user are feeling NS3 that great, where It ISN'T. Maybe just people who serious plays PIANO will figure it out and understand how it doens't react to play like NS2.

Despite of the thread name, my complain is acctualy is not against the velocity, but the compressed sound that doesn't sound natural no matter what you do.
aureliopenna

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 24 Feb 2018, 11:59

aureliopenna wrote:... I really don't understand why other user are feeling NS3 that great, where It ISN'T. Maybe just people who serious plays PIANO will figure it out

It starts to get a little repetitive...

Are you really saying that everyone that hasn't realised the NS3 is not great is not a serious piano player? And that it is a universal fact that the NS3 is not a great keyboard?

These are pretty harsh words (and wrong, in my humble opinion). So I TRULY HOPE that what you said above is just a result of your frustration with the keyboard and the lack of unanimous agreement here.

I man, in your mind, how many years of experience does it take to become a player that is allowed to hold opinions on pianos? How many other keyboards do you need to own? How many acoustic pianos (uprights and grands)? How often should you have tuned your own piano(s)? Or how many piano tuners do you need to have amongst your personal friends :-) So I guess you were not really serious.

Could I kindly suggest that you consider that maybe there are just different perceptions of what a good keyboard is? And that it may actually work for some of us?

I fully accept that it doesn't work for you and for some others; so much that you said you were selling yours. But I don't claim you're a lousy player or work for the competition just because of that :-)

The author baekgaard was thanked by 7 members, including:
solmasteranalogikaDanielD71BjoskoHobstertomziRichardG
baekgaard

Postby aureliopenna » 24 Feb 2018, 17:35

baekgaard wrote:
aureliopenna wrote:... I really don't understand why other user are feeling NS3 that great, where It ISN'T. Maybe just people who serious plays PIANO will figure it out

It starts to get a little repetitive...

Are you really saying that everyone that hasn't realised the NS3 is not great is not a serious piano player? And that it is a universal fact that the NS3 is not a great keyboard?

These are pretty harsh words (and wrong, in my humble opinion). So I TRULY HOPE that what you said above is just a result of your frustration with the keyboard and the lack of unanimous agreement here.

I man, in your mind, how many years of experience does it take to become a player that is allowed to hold opinions on pianos? How many other keyboards do you need to own? How many acoustic pianos (uprights and grands)? How often should you have tuned your own piano(s)? Or how many piano tuners do you need to have amongst your personal friends :-) So I guess you were not really serious.

Could I kindly suggest that you consider that maybe there are just different perceptions of what a good keyboard is? And that it may actually work for some of us?

I fully accept that it doesn't work for you and for some others; so much that you said you were selling yours. But I don't claim you're a lousy player or work for the competition just because of that :-)

Sorry for this misundertood Man I didn't meant to offense, I really sorry for that. I respect everyone opinion and musical background. I was just saying that people who plays ONLY Acoustic piano on Stage 2 felt that.
That's the meaning.
And I Always says that this is ONLY my opinion.
aureliopenna

Postby analogika » 24 Feb 2018, 17:44

aureliopenna wrote:I was just saying that people who plays ONLY Acoustic piano on Stage 2 felt that.
That's the meaning.

If it is only your opinion, don't speak for all the people who play only acoustic piano on the Stage 2.

It's either/or. Can't be both.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Hobster
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby aureliopenna » 24 Feb 2018, 19:45

analogika wrote:
aureliopenna wrote:I was just saying that people who plays ONLY Acoustic piano on Stage 2 felt that.
That's the meaning.

If it is only your opinion, don't speak for all the people who play only acoustic piano on the Stage 2.

It's either/or. Can't be both.

I believe I'm speaking for me and for the others who had the same perception. As you speak for your friends users who likes it too.
I have a couple of friends that didn't like NS3 the way I didn't and couple that like. So I can speak for the guys who likes it but I can speak for the guys who didn't like me.
aureliopenna

Postby derrellpiper » 25 Feb 2018, 03:43

Perhaps it's difficult to speak for people. You could try just expressing opinion. If you continue to hang out in the Stage forum and talk about how much you dislike nearly everything about the Stage 3, it's probably just not going to go over well. The Stage 3 is an instrument like any other. Each is a trade-off, especially when they're built of DSPs and magic pixie dust (software). When you have a line like the Stage, it's always tempting to criticize what's missing or changed, that's natural; however, I think this is the best thing Clavia's made yet. Maybe not as good as your Stage 2EX is to you, but it's a state-of-the-art instrument and I'm happy I have one.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 25 Feb 2018, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum