General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 2 MIDI W/ Logic Pro X / PT 11

Postby chilipep66 » 26 Jun 2016, 02:51

hey guys, first post, couldn't quite find exactly what I wanted to know in previous threads

Could be a very straight forward answer to this, but I wanted to know how or if it is possible to record my Nord Stage 2 into either of these 2 DAWs (Logic Pro X or Pro Tools 11) as midi tracks as opposed to audio. I know I can just hook it straight through my interface and record audio tracks, but I cant seem to get it working through the USB connection to an instrument or midi track.

I dont want to just use it as a controller for logic sounds, I want to use my Nord sounds in my board, just simply record them via midi instrument tracks as opposed to audio tracks. Thanks in advance for any help!
chilipep66

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Nord Stage 2 MIDI W/ Logic Pro X / PT 11

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 2 MIDI W/ Logic Pro X / PT 11

Postby Mr_-G- » 26 Jun 2016, 13:07

The USB and MIDI cables send MIDI data, not audio, so your option is to record MIDI in the sequencer (and trigger the sounds in your kbd in real time from the sequencer) or record audio.
If you go the MIDI route, you always need the kbd with you and remain limited to the polytimbrality and polyphony of the instrument.
Mr_-G-

Postby chilipep66 » 27 Jun 2016, 22:33

thanks for the reply, not quite sure I understand though!

I know that USB and MIDI only sends MIDI info and not audio.

do you mean PT/ Logic by sequencer?

basically, I suppose im asking if theres any way an instrument track (a combination of a midi and aux VST track) can be used to record the Nord Stage 2, recording the samples and sounds within the Nord itself, not any external piano sounds from the DAW therefore just using it as a keyboard controller, as opposed to just a simple audio track.

being able to tweak with a mouse after the fact has become a really important part of my creative process especially when Im traveling and cant sit at a keyboard, hence my desire to use the nord this way.
chilipep66

Postby DJKeys » 28 Jun 2016, 00:41

Hi-

Sorry for all of the questions, but hard to say what might be happening with such limited information.

Mac OS or PC?

If Mac, do you see the NS 2 as connected to your midi interface in the Midi Studio window?

What is the physical interface to get midi in and out of your DAW?

Have you tried standard midi cables instead of USB?

Does PT or Logic recognize the NS2 as a selectable midi input/output device in the instrument track?

I have Pro Tools 12 on a Mac OS using 4 Sound Modules (in my signature) connected to a Motu Midi Express XT and I can record and play back midi data from any of them using midi cables (they are very old), so this is definitely possible to do.

Let us know.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 28 Jun 2016, 00:54, edited 4 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby Kayj_prod » 28 Jun 2016, 15:58

DJKeys wrote:Hi-
Mac OS or PC?
-dj

Has to be Mac if running Logic Pro X. ;)

Make sure when you create a new track, you choose 'external MIDI' as your track type. (Depending how you have your studio configured, you may need to create an auxiliary input track to monitor your NS.) If your setup is simple, your NS (if connected via USB) should appear as a MIDI input by default. If not, you will have to investigate Audio MIDI Setup in your utilities folder. Use the inspector palette on the left of your screen to choose your output routing. Don't forget to turn local off on your NS.

I haven't used PT for MIDI in years, but it is essentially the same process... just a different method.
Nord Stage Classic, Nord Stage 2 88, Nord Wave
Kayj_prod

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby rybolon » 19 Feb 2018, 15:45

Hello there :) It's my first post here :)

I didn't like to make another subject because I have almost the same problem. I hope it's not a problem for you :yourock:

I'm trying to connect NS2 with Logic Pro X but something is wrong. I use USB and have no option to connect it by midi cables.

NS2 is set like below:
Global - USB 1
slot A and B - off
Piano A - USB 2
Piano B - USB 3
Organ A - USB 4
Organ B - USB 5
Synth A - USB 6
Synth B - USB 7
Local - ON
I have no idea how should I set other options in MIDI menu... so if you know how to set all that issues - send, receive, s&r - it also would be awesome. In fact I would like to know how to set all this functions but I shouldn't have too many options which can cause a crash of my Nord and sounds settings saved in programs :).

I would like to play and record using instruments from NS2 but it's not possible now. I see that Logic recognizes my Nord - chords and notes looks correct. It seems that I can record the track but can't hear anything. When I use softeware instruments and record the track it is visible and possible to hear everything.
After checking midi ports in Logic there is info that Nord is connected via Midi 1 but there is no option to change it to USB.

Any help will be awesome. Yesterday I spent really a lot of time to set everything correct but it's still only one option to work - software instruments.

Cheers :mrgreen:
rybolon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby Shamango » 16 Mar 2018, 13:04

It is possible to play midi clips in Logic with Nord Stage 3 (I guess other Nord models as well) sounds. I've tried both with midi cable and USB to midi adapter.
1. Create an External Midi track
2. Open Midi environment (Cmd + 0), select Layer - MIDI Instr.
3. Press New, select midi instrument
4. Stretch a virtual cable from midi instrument to your soundcard.
5. Make sure that both midi in and out connections are used (from Nord midi out to sound card in for recording midi clips and from soundcard out to Nord in for midi messages to send midi to Nord)
6. Play to create a midi clip (or make in in Piano Roll)
7. Select an appropriate patch to play the sound from Logic midi clip.
8. Create an audio track in Logic to record Nord sound, select inputs of your soundcard where Nord is connected as soundsource.
9. Choose Record enable on the track and press record - you will get it recorded
Last edited by Shamango on 16 Mar 2018, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Shamango

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Stage Forum