Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 3 Key knocking noise

Postby NHL99 » 22 Dec 2017, 17:45

Got one Nord Piano 3 now! Serial no above 13000. Fantastic product! Checked out the Asian competition before buying. Selected a König&Mayer piano chair. Got Genelec as loudspeakers.
Rudolph the Reindeer... :thumbup:
NHL99

Sponsor

Postby NHL99 » 28 Dec 2017, 09:15

NHL99 wrote:Got one Nord Piano 3 now! Serial no above 13000. Fantastic product! Checked out the Asian competition before buying. Selected a König&Mayer piano chair. Got Genelec as loudspeakers.

No keybed problems sofar. Playing from 'Jump' to Bach.
NHL99

Postby Nordman55 » 15 Feb 2018, 06:08

I have had this issue for the past year, and it is getting worse. I am up to 6 keys that are clicking. When I hit with force, the clicking noises and hits of the hammer are getting so loud that it's nit even enjoyable to play. I have emailed customer support, but I am waiting.
Nordman55

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby OG3playsnord » 17 Feb 2018, 02:53

I am sorry to hear that, it is an easy fix if one is willing to follow my DIY (at your risk of course).. And it is a permanent fix.
Last edited by OG3playsnord on 17 Feb 2018, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
OG3playsnord

Postby RainbowSeb » 17 Mar 2018, 18:53

I had this knocking noise twice and twice it was repaired (the second time I got a new keyboard). Now a key got stuck and I'll get the third repair in 18 months.
This is the most expensive and least reliable stage piano I ever had. I would never ever recommend buying a nord piano. Just don't do it...
RainbowSeb

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro

Postby OG3playsnord » 18 Mar 2018, 02:10

That really sucks Rainbowseb.

I want to report that I have not had the knocking noise after the modification I posted earlier. :)
My repair is permanent.
Last edited by OG3playsnord on 18 Mar 2018, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
OG3playsnord

Postby NHL99 » 02 Apr 2018, 19:29

NHL99 wrote:
NHL99 wrote:Got one Nord Piano 3 now! Serial no above 13000. Fantastic product! Checked out the Asian competition before buying. Selected a König&Mayer piano chair. Got Genelec as loudspeakers.

No keybed problems sofar. Playing from 'Jump' to Bach.

No problems sofar! Triple pedals are nice!
NHL99

Postby np3au » 16 Apr 2018, 11:59

Just reporting that I have Random keys click and clunk and sometimes a really loudly crack! My style of music is mostly soft jazz nothing rocking, nothing hard for sure.

It's only 13 months old and the problem with they keys started within the first 2 months and I was kinda hoping it would 'go away'. - I play with headphones and could hear it but it wasn't until I bothered to use external speakers when I realised how insane-ly noisy the keys were. (like -> Click, Click, Clunk, Crack!).

I think the the Nord Piano 3 is a total disaster, so they just randomly announce version 4 a few days ago!? Great. I spent $3800 AUD on the faulty Nord Piano 3!

So anyway, I just delivered my Nord Piano 3 to the music shop yesterday and they are posting it to be 'repaired' somewhere in Melbourne. The whole thing will take 3 - 4 weeks.

Makes me laugh I can visit my parents house and the 1992 Yamaha Clavinova is still quiet!

Just before Xmas I took the time to fill in the warranty request because a few keys were getting really bad and Nord never responded.

It really disappoints me to read about the Nord 4. I would not be so vocal if Nord quietly replaced the faulty piano with one that is not faulty and even offered an upgrade to the stage 3 or something. (or the Piano 4) I read here many guys had it fixed a few times even replaced with the same 'faulty batch' - typical.
np3au

Postby Mr_-G- » 16 Apr 2018, 19:57

This sounds like a repetition of your other post... Just a reminder that duplicate posts will be deleted.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby adoucett » 14 May 2018, 17:03

I too was plagued with the banging noise on my NP3 which appeared a couple months after ownership and was gradually getting worse.
The Nord Piano was a dream instrument for me for a long time, I'm not a gigging or professional musician, but after enjoying my NE3 for years, having that full size keyboard with a fully weighted action was something I'd been really wanting. So needless to say, I was pretty upset about the banging noise on a handful of keys right in the center of the range.

Having bought an 'open box model' from a music store via eBay on the other side of the country , I had a feeling my options for an official repair without dropping a lot of money, that I don't have.

I carefully disassembled the unit and was able to diagnose the problem similar to how it was described above. I was a bit afraid of messing up the ribbon cables (these are delicate, in my experience messing around with computer peripherals) and found that you can access the underside of the keybed without disconnecting them, if you very carefully lift if from the sides and rotate it, it will balance vertically while you do the repair.

The biggest thing to watch out for is that the lip of the keybed that attaches to the case slides slightly UNDER the main circuit board, so be very careful as you are moving it, as you don't want to accidentally pry it off or something else horrible like that.

The biggest thing I noticed while attempting various methods to repair it, is that whatever you place in terms of a DIY felt cushion, can't be too thick, or it will prevent the armature from falling back fully, which results in the key itself sitting slightly lower relative to other keys (as if depressed a couple millimeters). So too thin and it won't dampen the noise, too thick and you mess up the action of the keyboard.

I purchased some felt pads from Home Depot and then added some thinner strips of a neoprene type material on top of them, because the felt itself wasn't so soft.

I also noticed that the sound was significantly dampened when I pushed up from the bottom of the keyboard - I wonder if the fact I have my NP3 on an X stand is allowing it to slightly flex in the middle, exacerbating the issue. I think board flex might play a significant role in the overall issue which is why some users experience it and others do not.

Are there some types of stands that would eliminate this flex completely? I am on an X stand right now because I have the NE3 right above on a second tier.

Just wanted to say I was able to put everything back together and the loud metallic clack seems to be completely gone.
Last edited by adoucett on 14 May 2018, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
adoucett

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum