General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 Prices

Postby HokieKev » 15 Feb 2018, 21:31

Hi All,

I’ve been checking around and it looks like all three models of the Stage 3 are in plentiful supply. I am in the market for a Stage 3 88. Has anyone managed to get a discount when they bought this keyboard?

BTw, I am actually OK with waiting a bit for the supply to become more plentiful and for a few OS updates to be released which hopefully iron out some of the kinks people have been reporting.

TIA
HokieKev

Nord Stage 3 Prices

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 Prices

Postby solmaster » 15 Feb 2018, 21:48

Well as you say in your post, they are in 'plentiful' supply, so why wait? You'll find you have a fantastic keyboard now and benefit from the updates as they come out from Nord. Discounts will likely be minimal, as Nords tend to hold their prices pretty well. Good luck with your search!
In the UK, a brand new Stage 3 88 is priced around £3,500, so about £100 less than originally priced when first came out.
Perhaps in the USA more discounts are to be had?
Last edited by solmaster on 15 Feb 2018, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby HokieKev » 16 Feb 2018, 00:39

Yes, I’m in the States. Based on a quick conversion of English pounds to dollars things are a good bit cheaper here even at MSRP. I think some of the euro countries have a VAT tax that causes things to be a bit higher, eh?
HokieKev

Postby cphollis » 16 Feb 2018, 01:28

Call around to the usual suspects. No email, no webquotes. If you can find your gear on one of those DJ supply house sites, they're usually the most aggressive. And they don't give a s**t as far as supporting MAP pricing.

Speak to a real human being. Push'em a bit. Skip Sweetwater, BTW. I'll buy smaller stuff from them as they're so convenient. Proaudiostar comes through, occasionally. But the bigger pieces? Start dialing for dollars. Google is your friend. Talk to real people.

Meaningful discounts are there to be had. And you'll kick yourself for paying MAP prices in the past. Recent example? A while back, the Nord Stage 3 Compact was a bit scarce. OK, fine. $3599 MAP. And nobody had one.

Got mine for less than $3K, plus a few goodies thrown in. A small music shop in Wis. that was just branching out into internet sales. Let's talk, OK?

If I was doing it today, I'd expect to find one for ~$2800. But no goodies. Hey, $800 matters, right?

Similar stories for all the big pieces I've bought. Keys, amplification, mixers, etc. For some of my exotica in the amplification realm, you're basically dealing with a dude on cellphone. All good.

The deal is that the manufacturers police their distribution network for excessive discounting. So as long as there's no evidence, they'll sell to you at way below MAP. Like, shocking.

If you're into the bundle thing, that's another avenue. But I usually don't need the crap they bundle in. Not like they're going to bundle in a Vent II with a Nord Electro 6.

Lightly used stuff, e.g. B-stock, etc. huge win.

Game on! Share your stories, ok?
Last edited by cphollis on 16 Feb 2018, 02:13, edited 5 times in total.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by 2 members, including:
HokieKevPScooter63
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby HokieKev » 16 Feb 2018, 03:07

Thanks. I have done just a little in person haggling a few days ago and, yea, there is definitely some room to negotiate. All the stores know that they have to compete with the internet and are willing to deal to some extent. I will give my business to a local store sometimes because I want that service of being able to feel the keyboard in real life to continue. Especially on purchases where significant dollars are involved.

On a somewhat unrelated note, most of the music stores in my area struggle to hire people. One guy told me as soon as any hire makes any significant money making music they are gone from the business of selling music gear. LOL. The economy is picking up in the USA so people have other options I guess.
HokieKev

Postby hari_seldon » 04 Mar 2018, 13:02

HokieKev wrote:Thanks. I have done just a little in person haggling a few days ago and, yea, there is definitely some room to negotiate. All the stores know that they have to compete with the internet and are willing to deal to some extent. I will give my business to a local store sometimes because I want that service of being able to feel the keyboard in real life to continue. Especially on purchases where significant dollars are involved.

On a somewhat unrelated note, most of the music stores in my area struggle to hire people. One guy told me as soon as any hire makes any significant money making music they are gone from the business of selling music gear. LOL. The economy is picking up in the USA so people have other options I guess.

I just bought one from a major US internet dealer for $3799 for the 88.
hari_seldon

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby NordNerd431 » 04 Mar 2018, 17:09

hari_seldon wrote:

Who was the retailer?
Nord Stage 3 88
Roland Fantom X8
Korg O1/W
Yamaha DX7
Roland D50
Roland fp3
NordNerd431

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby HokieKev » 04 Mar 2018, 21:41

hari_seldon wrote:
HokieKev wrote:Thanks. I have done just a little in person haggling a few days ago and, yea, there is definitely some room to negotiate. All the stores know that they have to compete with the internet and are willing to deal to some extent. I will give my business to a local store sometimes because I want that service of being able to feel the keyboard in real life to continue. Especially on purchases where significant dollars are involved.

Wow - best price I have been able to negotiate has been $3950.00
HokieKev

Postby cphollis » 04 Mar 2018, 22:02

Congrats, $3800 is what I'd expect to pay for a new, shipped one. You did well!!
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby JayDee » 07 Mar 2018, 05:43

I bought my 5D from a major brick and morter/Internet retailer in the Milwaukee region last year during one of their special event sales for 25% off the going street $2200, though they made me pay shipping for low margin at $1650. Still amounted to to 21% after shipping cost. They currently show one Stage 3 88 in stock for $4500. They Routinely offer 20% off during sales once a month or so. That would = $3600. Black Friday events etc, maybe a full 25%
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum