Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Nord Pedal - Sustain Pedal and Sequencers

Postby choiby » 27 Oct 2011, 18:07

Hi all,

Hope you can help me with this issue. I am using the Nord Piano and Triple Pedal in my home studio and it's connected to (my PC running) Cubase via MIDI.

As a result of the advanced pedal capabilities (I believe), depressing and releasing the pedal doesn't send a flat 0 or 127 like my old keyboard/pedal combination used to do - a lot of intermediate values are sent. However, the result is that the sustain effect for some samples don't get triggered because apparently this only takes effect if a 127 value is transmitted.

Is there a way for me to amend Cubase such that it acknowledges that any MIDI value represents sustain on (as opposed to just a binary on/off 127/0)? Or does that need to be changed on a software sampler level (I am using the Play versions of a few East West libraries)?

Many thanks!
Last edited by choiby on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
choiby

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Nord Pedal - Sustain Pedal and Sequencers

Sponsor

Re: Nord Pedal - Sustain Pedal and Sequencers

Postby Hanon_CTS » 27 Oct 2011, 18:16

choiby wrote:As a result of the advanced pedal capabilities (I believe), depressing and releasing the pedal doesn't send a flat 0 or 127 like my old keyboard/pedal combination used to do - a lot of intermediate values are sent. However, the result is that the sustain effect for some samples don't get triggered because apparently this only takes effect if a 127 value is transmitted.!

Hello choiby,
Welcome to the forums!

Which OS version is your Nord Piano?

There has been an update which fixes the behavior that you report:

v1.30 (2011-06-16)
Sustain pedal now sends Control Change 64, Value 0 when sustain pedal is completely lifted.

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby choiby » 27 Oct 2011, 18:53

Hi Hanon,

Thanks for the reply and welcome! I'll need to double check my OS version when I get home.

However in my particular case, the problem is not when the pedal is lifted - that is working fine as far as I can tell. The problem is when it's depressed - my old keyboard/pedal combo just sent a flat 127 MIDI value, which triggered sustain samples. However, the Nord Triple pedal seems to send intermediate values (between 0-127, depending on how hard it's depressed) and this means sustain samples aren't triggered.

This may be more of a Cubase or a software sampler setup issue. Or is there an option in the Nord Piano to force the sustain pedal just to send a binary 0 or 127 value when depressed?
choiby

Postby jazzonebyone » 05 Nov 2011, 14:01

Before the OS update I used 'Midipipe' to collapse 'Sustain Off' to '0'. It can also raise all 'Sustain On' values to '127'. Midipipe is Mac-specific, but I understand that there are similar midi filter/translator/modifiers for Windows. Here's an article :
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/04/m ... ing-needs/

Al
Last edited by jazzonebyone on 31 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.

The author jazzonebyone was thanked by:
choiby
jazzonebyone

Postby choiby » 03 Dec 2011, 04:09

Meant to post this a while back - but thanks Al for your really helpful post.

In case anyone else was having the same problem, the Midipipe equivalent on the PC is MIDI-OX. My problem was easily solved via the following steps:

- Installing the MIDI Yoke driver to generate extra MIDI ports
- Setting up a Data Mapping filter to alter the sustain pedal values as they came in
- Using the Port Routings command to tie the soundcard input to the output of one of the new virtual channels (MIDI Yoke 1)
- Using MIDI Yoke 1 as the MIDI input for Cubase as opposed to the soundcard input

Cheers!

The author choiby was thanked by:
Hanon_CTS
choiby

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum